Front Sight suggestions

csaxj3

I have factory NS on my G19, and while I like them, I don't see the need for a complete set for my soon to be mine G17.

So, I plan on getting a new front sight for the G17, and keeping the factory rear sight (for some reason I like the rear style).

Since this will be an IDPA/HD gun, I'm torn between getting a NS front sight or checking out some fiber optic styles. I have a light for the gun(HD use), so I am leaning towards fiber optic for IDPA.

Since my internet-search-fu is decent, I've read that the Dawson offering is the way to go.

Does anyone run ANY fiber optic front sights on ANY platform, if so:

- What make?

- Do you like them?

- What color do you use, red/green/yellow?

Thanks in advance. :)

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

My M&P Pro came with Novak F/O front sight. Green. I really liked it until I broke the thin little rod. I replaced it with a Red rod, but Ive broken that one too. (And I am NOT rough on my gun). I have been looking at the Dawson lineup. I've also sourced 3ft lengths of replacement 0.060" rod. Now I have to weigh the cost/benefits.

G

I'd highly recommend the Ameriglo Luminova Fronts... They'll work with the stock rear (same height, same POI), a bit thinner for bigger/better light bars (.125, stock is a way wide .140) and the orange luminova is actually brighter than fiber in outdoor light conditions (plus it won't fall out or break which is nice, and you can "charge" them with a flashlight if the sun isn't out)!

Use "GSSF" as a coupon code at checkout and they're 25% off, should be less than $20.

Here's a pic (keep in mind, not correct sight focus, so the front looks WAY smaller/thinner than in "real life" with real eyes... and this is with their .180 wide-notch pro series rear in case you're wondering, glock stock rear has a .150 wide rear notch), the .180 rear notch is fast as hell, but a .150 rear notch is probably better all-around IMO and I've since gone back to that... I'll NEVER go back to wider than a .125 on a front though!:

IMG_0030.jpg

Edited by CK1
Speaking of sights is anyone currently running/or previously had either XS Big Dot sightos or Heinie Straight 8 sights? If so thoughts. Thanks

I've had big dots and found them frustrating and inaccurate at the range when shooting past 7-10 yards... great SD sights though, weren't what I was looking for.

I had Straight 8's on a 1911 once and I liked them more than I thought I would (I tend to prefer a plain black rear, I've found for me it's less confusing to my eyes to just focus on the front through the notch...), but the rear notch was too thin IMO, when I'd line 'em up there were almost no light bars. Heine makes a "Qwik" version now with a .156 rear notch that I bet I'd really like.

In general, I'm a fan of a .140 -.150 wide rear notch with an .125 or even .115 wide front, not too much room for the front to "swim", but visible light bars on either side of the front.

Edited by CK1
I wouldn't mix and match my sights unless I was 100% sure that the elevation was exactly the same on both and that the firearm's point of impact matched the point of aim resulting from your sight config.

On Dawson's site, they have an option for a front sight that is made to work with the factory rear. I've also found an Ameriglo tritium option that is made to work with the factory rear as well.

Thanks for the tip on the Ameriglo Luminova's, I'll check them out.

great input!

Guest JHatmaker
I prefer the TruGlo TFO's (Tritium/Fiber Optic) in green.

Another recommendation for the TFO's. Had them on both my Glocks (all green, and a green/yellow combow). Very good sights.

I would like to get just a TFO front sight, yet have not been able to find that as an option.

If you break a TFO, you're SOL and have to buy a new one from them, or give your friend $50 if it isn't yours... don't ask me how I know:).

Looks like I'll forgo the fiber optics as they seem to break.

Going to order the Ameriglo tritium front sight from opticsplanet for 30 bucks, and a 3/16 driver to install it, 40 bucks out the door.

What color loctite should I use, red or blue?

Looks like I'll forgo the fiber optics as they seem to break.

Going to order the Ameriglo tritium front sight from opticsplanet for 30 bucks, and a 3/16 driver to install it, 40 bucks out the door.

What color loctite should I use, red or blue?

If you order straight from Ameriglo and they'll include the hex tool to put it on... (either way I'd recommend getting the GL-112T - the thinner one). Use RED loctite.

Is it not the Tritium that breaks? I think the Fiber is not very fragile??

The tritium vials are actually pretty hard to break, they're usually encased in steel and it's pretty hard to whack them hard enough to break 'em, fiber on the other hand is usually just naked plastic right on top of the slide, so it's not uncommon for them to get broken (or fly out right before a match you really wanted to shoot...).

Ameriglo makes great tritium sights in that theirs have a PVC ring around the vial that stays brilliant white, unlike some makers' whose paint wears off over time and contact with solvent.

The tritium vials are actually pretty hard to break, they're usually encased in steel and it's pretty hard to whack them hard enough to break 'em, fiber on the other hand is usually just naked plastic right on top of the slide, so it's not uncommon for them to get broken (or fly out right before a match you really wanted to shoot...).

Ameriglo makes great tritium sights in that theirs have a PVC ring around the vial that stays brilliant white, unlike some makers' whose paint wears off over time and contact with solvent.

Been thinking about getting some fiber sights myself. Has anyone tried to drop a small drop of super glue on the fiber sights to hold them in? I wonder if it hurts the fiber and will hold the rod.

LEROY

FO sights that are sized and installed correctly should not fall out under normal use. I have several thousand rounds through my M&P Pro with Novak sights and have never had a problem. If something does happen to the FO it takes about 1 minute to put in a new one and costs almost nothing. I change my FO every few months just to keep it bright.

Back to the original question: My Pro came with green front FO but I changed to red and like it better, at least for outside shooting.