suggestions needed for fun targets for inexperienced shooters

seez52

I'm considering having some people over who have expressed an interested in shooting a couple of guns. Probably an AK, AR and a pistol or two. They really aren't gun guys, I just wanted to see if I can get them interested.

They will be CLOSELY SUPERVISED, but I would like for it to be fun for them too. Silhouettes at 100 yards is probably not going to cut it. I made a couple of little spinners for .22s that are fun, buy haven't been able to think of anything else. It's always more to shoot at something and hit it than not.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Start collecting aluminum cans and 2-liter plastic bottles to fill up with water. If you have a Dollar General or other type store you can get 2-liters of cheap soda for like 75 cents. Shake'em up and they make a nice display.

Go by some cheap pumpkins or other type gourds. Those are fun to shoot.

If you have a scrap yard nearby go get a very thin piece of steel for long distance shooting. I'm talking 1/4 inch thick. The "ring" is very satisfying and if you decide to shoot something bigger you'll actually put holes through it. :rolleyes:

If you have any bowling lanes near call and see if they have any old pins they need to get rid of.

The list is endless!

Guest birdman

Go by some cheap pumpkins or other type gourds. Those are fun to shoot.

If you have a scrap yard nearby go get a very thin piece of steel for long distance shooting. I'm talking 1/4 inch thick. The "ring" is very satisfying and if you decide to shoot something bigger you'll actually put holes through it. :)

If you have any bowling lanes near call and see if they have any old pins they need to get rid of.

The list is endless!

great suggestions Garufa! When I first started shooting on my own it was this time of year and pumpkins are all over the place:)*!

*birdman in no way condones or endorses the theft of pumpkins

Guest clsutton21
those are all good, I was wondering if junk yards might give you a couple of car doors? I think everyone would enjoy punching holes in car doors.

Doubtfully. People have to buy car doors pretty often.

Junk yards are not giving anything away. You can get the 1/4 steel plate fairly cheap.

I prefer cans filled with water. They are reactive. Once they hit the ground they can be shot and made to dance around. My 7 year old grandson loves that the best.

Balloons filled with water are fun. Get some food coloring to add to the water in your bottles or balloons for added interest. If you have a goodwill nearby, check for cheap plates or ceramic items.

Guest 70below

Watermelons! I like pop cans hanging from string under a tree. Full bean cans, tomato sauce/juice. Staple playing cards to a sheet of plywood and "play your hand" kinda like that movie "SWAT".

Guest 1817ak47

some that we have done, tv screens with a 22 but that's messy. would like to try that with my mosins or sks. car body panels are always fun. we one did a hanging target, that was a old freon tank hanging by a rope from a tree, but those bullets go a long ways though so that might not be good. I used to shoot bricks when I was under I tin roof with a 22, I would hear pieces hit the roof. old toilets are fun and break into pieces. arousal cans near a open flame. hubcaps. heck drive down the road on garbage day with a pickup truck, bet you would find all sort of cool **** to blast full of holes. when the seymour dump used to have a drop off that wasn't closed off after hours we would go and pick stuff up and take it to the mountains and shoot the stuff to pieces

Big +1 on golfballs, especially when you have more than one person to shoot at them.

Throw a few out in front & try to hit one before it disapears out of your sights by someones shot.

I've heared that old fire extinguishers were fun too so I have been collecting a few.

I work as a mechanic & get a couple R134a cilinders they are fun to shoot. It's a bigger target that will dance a little.

For a little more precission I like to keep a fer steel caseings from the range, stand a few up & blast away. If you hit one it's usually gone.

Guest tnpanscraper

You should hang Lemaricus Davidson and Letalvis Cobbins from a tree.. They would be fun to shoot at...

LaserSmiley.gif

Edited by tnpanscraper
Guest 1817ak47

one time there were 4 of use with 22 riffles, and we were shooting at a large freon tank hanging from a rope tied to a tree, I later suggested we cut the tree down by repeatedly shooting at it, about 4-500 rounds later it fell, and sounded like a water with at times up to 4 semi auto rifles shooting at it between reloading

Edited by 1817ak47

I take old milk jugs and plastic coffee cans, fill them with water and freeze it. Plain old water leaks out and the fun is gone after 30 seconds. The ice makes an interesting spray every time you shoot it. The coffee cans spray ice upwards if you take off the lid.

The lid from the coffee cans are fun to shoot too. If you lay them flat, and shoot an edge, they fly off like frisbees.