Pay for background check if have HCP?

Guest Hi Point

Guest Hi Point

I know in some states all you have to do is show your HCP and the gun store doesn't have to do a background check on you. Is it that way in TN? I recently got my hcp and it would be dang nice if I didn't have to pay that $10 fee anymore considering how much it cost to get the hcp.

Thanks for your help,

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HexHead
Nope.. You pay for every form you fill out. $10 every time.

The logic being your HCP background check is only run every four years. A lot can happen in the interim. My gunstore guy tells me it's not unheard of for someone with an HCP to be turned down when they run the 4473.

Yep doesn't work that way in TN.

One reason is the check for a HCP is only run every 4 years when you renew (if then).

In the states where a permit allows you to bypass a check at purchase, a check is run more often I believe. At least once a year if not more often.

Back when they had a "COOL DOWN PERIOD" I think it was 72 hrs in Texas for a handgun,if you had a handgun permit you did not have to wait.Your 4473 still had to be approved.

Nope.. You pay for every form you fill out. $10 every time.

If buying more than 1 gun from the same FFL at the same time they only have to do one. I have heard that some will try to charge you for each gun and that is not correct. If you buy 1 today and one tomorrow then you pay twice.

I ordered one from out of state and shipped to my FFL when I picked it up I bought another from him. Only one $10 fee for both.

If buying more than 1 gun from the same FFL at the same time they only have to do one. I have heard that some will try to charge you for each gun and that is not correct. If you buy 1 today and one tomorrow then you pay twice.

I ordered one from out of state and shipped to my FFL when I picked it up I bought another from him. Only one $10 fee for both.

Each form is good for 4 or 6 I can't remember. I have filled out enough to know but dont. Anytime I have a gun shipped I try to buy multiples to save on the transfer and TICS fee's. My ffl charges me the same $35 for one or more on the same form.

Yep doesn't work that way in TN.

One reason is the check for a HCP is only run every 4 years when you renew (if then).

In the states where a permit allows you to bypass a check at purchase, a check is run more often I believe. At least once a year if not more often.

I believe the reason is not because it's only ran once every 4 years but because our checks are ran via the state and not through the national system like other states. I seem to recall reading this somewhere, but my memory could be wrong.

I believe the reason is not because it's only ran once every 4 years but because our checks are ran via the state and not through the national system like other states. I seem to recall reading this somewhere, but my memory could be wrong.

The check when you get a HCP is run through the FBI and TBI

The check when you purchase a gun is done through TICS which is a point of contact for NICS.

TBI Instant Check System

In response to the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act [18 U.S.C. 922 (t)], the Tennessee State Legislature incorporated the federal legislation into the Tennessee gun transfer statute with an amendment to T.C.A. §39-17-1316.

In states that agree to conduct Brady background checks, once the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms’ (ATF) form 4473 is completed, the Federal Firearms Licensee contacts the state point of contact (POC) for a National Instant Check System (NICS) check. A state POC is a state agency that agrees to conduct Brady background checks, including NICS checks, on prospective gun purchasers. Currently, 13 states, including Tennessee, serve as full POCs for NICS (checks on handguns and long guns) and 10 states serve as partial POCs for NICS (states perform checks for handgun purchases and FBI processes checks for long gun purchases).

As a Point Of Contact state, Tennessee runs the following checks on any person seeking to purchase a firearm from a licensed firearm dealer or to redeem a firearm from pawn from a licensed firearm dealer.

• Computerized Criminal History – file maintained by the TBI and supported by arrest fingerprint cards. Persons who are convicted felons cannot legally possess a firearm.
  • State of Tennessee Orders of Protection – data entered, maintained and deleted by Tennessee law enforcement agencies (generally Sheriff’s departments) on persons against whom a restraining order has been issued by a judge. Persons convicted of domestic violence cannot legally possess a firearm.
  • National Crime Information Center – database maintaining files on wanted persons, protection orders, deported felons, U.S. Secret Service Protective (persons who may pose a threat to the President and/or others afforded protection by the U.S. Secret Service), foreign fugitives, SENTRY File (persons currently under supervision of the Federal Bureau of Prisons), Convicted Person on Supervised Release File and the Convicted Sexual Offender Registry.
  • Interstate Identification Index – the national repository for criminal history record information.
  • National Instant Check System – the federal instant background check system maintained by the FBI. It houses databases on Denied Persons, Illegal/Unlawful Aliens. Controlled Substance Abusers, Dishonorable Dischargees, Citizenship renunciants and Mental Defectives/Commitments.

So in both casses (HCP and Purchase) you are being checked on a state and national level.

But as I said the trouble is....a check may or may not be run on a HCP renewal, but if it is, it is only every 4 years.