range report on winchester 94AE

my82cam

I bought the winchester 94AE trapper in 357mag from jeremiah a few months ago, the one that had a bad reload shot in it and it did some damage. i went through it, found some good places to get parts, had it checked out by east side gun shop(thanks Kahrman) he gave the thumbs up so i went and shot it....i still have all my fingers! it shoots great and functions great as well! The gun is in great shape and is going to make a good start to my SRC collection. at 25 30 yards it did a very tight group...i only took 3 shots at 100 yards and never hit the target...i was in a hurry but looking back i probably should have held hi or adjusted my sights, i'm sure the 357 drops quite a bit at 100 yards. thanks to any and all for answers to any and all questions!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

...i'm sure the 357 drops quite a bit at 100 yards. thanks to any and all for answers to any and all questions!

Well, no, it doesn't.

Depending on just which cartridge, it should be pretty much right on at 100 yards, although this seems to be the magic distance, as by 120 yards, you may get as much as a 3" drop.

(talking full load shells here, not weak cowboy loads).

- OS

they were 357 mags. other than not hitting at 100(sure i just need mroe practice) the only issue was when i loaded it, if the loading gate closed and a shell fell behind the gate, it wouldn't let me load any more. i don't know if that just happens because the shells are so short or if something is wrong.

they were 357 mags. other than not hitting at 100(sure i just need mroe practice) the only issue was when i loaded it, if the loading gate closed and a shell fell behind the gate, it wouldn't let me load any more. i don't know if that just happens because the shells are so short or if something is wrong.

When I said "depending on which cartridges", I meant how much powder and bullet weight. Like all calibers, there are lots of differences in feet per second within the same caliber class. I have .357 loads that claim 1400 and some that claim only 800. You can generally add 300-400 ftps when shooting out of a rifle, though. I don't reload, but still there are a wide variety of loads in commercial rounds. All the trajectory stuff I've seen indicates that a "full" load, say 1300 fps or better won't drop at all or hardly at all at 100 yards, even out of a pistol.

I don't have any experience with a Winchester, only my Marlin 1894C, so don't know about that loading gate glitch. I did have one time I didn't get a shell in all the way and jammed mine momentarily, but was able to free it by jiggling/ejecting, something or other and continue loading.

- OS