Everything About .243 Rifles

Sidewinder

I'm interested in getting into some coyote, as well as deer hunting. I'm looking for a gun that can do both reasonably well, without breaking the bank on gun or ammo price. I've heard the .243 is the ideal caliber for yotes, and that it's capable of harvesting a Tennessee white tail also.

I'm basically interested in hearing from people with actual experience with this round, and the "pros and cons", if any, in these two applications. I have no experience at all with this round, and am interested in what type action these .243 guns are available in, and the middle of the road price range for them. I'm also interested in actual performance of the .243 in these two applications. Opinions are OK too, but some actual field type facts would be very beneficial.

I'm not trying to start WWlll here, just trying to learn all I can about the whole situation around the .243. If you currently own, or have owned and shot the .243 in these applications, I hope you'll tell us about your experiences, good and bad. I have other "deer" rifles, and shotguns, but suspect they may be a little heavy handed for yotes, and more expensive as well.

Is the .243 capable of filling the coyote and Tennessee white tail deer hunting requirements/expectations? I'm aware of the "no center fire" ammo on WMAs during deer season.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Straight Shooter

I have hunted for over two decades with a .243,and it will kill ANYTHING in this state,and many others. We just had a conversation today at the range about this. It is an excellent cartridge,and I recommend 100 grain bullets for deer. I can tell how "gun savvy" a person is when I hear" a .243 wont kill a deer". I always try to get them to bet with me,but,oddly enough,I cant get any takers.

My last seven or eight deer were all one shot kills.

Try it....youll like it.

You have it backwards, the .243 is ideal for deer and will work on coyotes - waaaaaay overkill for coyotes.

Pick the 100gr lead/copper bullet that your gun likes or the Barnes X, go forth and fill your freezer.

BTW, if you can shoot, wait for a decent shot, the 100gr Nosler Partition or Barnes X will cleanly take about any elk walking the planet. We (Americans) tend to go overboard on caliber.

For coyotes it just tears them up way too much and costs way too much. Try a 12ga with BB's.

If you just want a new rifle (more than enough reason), H&R/NEF make a nice little 223 (or 22 Hornet) single shot that is just fine for coyotes. If you are going to sell the hides, find a 17 Remington.

Is the .243 capable of filling the coyote and Tennessee white tail deer hunting requirements/expectations? I'm aware of the "no center fire" ammo on WMAs during deer season.

Umm, deer hunters can take coyotes with legal deer guns on WMA. :)

I have two currently, and the 243 Winchester is a great rifle cartridge. It will reliably kill any whitetail deer in Tennessee. If it will kill a deer, you know it will kill a coyote. Anyone who tells you a 243 isn't an adequate deer cartridge knows more about talking than they do firearms. Ammunition is readily available anywhere that sells ammo, and inexpensive as well. The 100 grain Remington loads at WalMart shoot great in my rifles, and are all you need.

The 243 is a popular chambering, and most any centerfire rifle, save for most levers and ARs, are available in 243. Browning even still makes a lever action BLR you can buy in 243. Unless you are hunting dangerous game, I see no downside in the ever popular 243 Winchester.

A great round for hunting deer and varmints. I have a Mod. 70 heavy barrel with a 12x Leupold. Although this set up was initially for varmints, its a great deer combination as well. I don't use it for woods hunting but, where shots will exceed 100 yards in open areas. Yes, my 30.06 and .300 Weathery will handle these shots as well but, the .243 shines out to 300 yards.

Accuracy is outstanding with the .243 and there are several great bullet selections for reloading as well as factory loads for varmints and deer. Recoil is extremely "soft" and makes for quick follow up shoots on mulitple targets.

I believe just about every major arms manufacturer has one in there line up so, pick your favorite a dive in, the water is fine.

I had a .243 for years. I loved the round and used it for both deer and fox. It was more for the deer with the fox as a bonus on the hunt. Used 100 Gr noslers and never had a problem with downing deer. The fox didn't fair as well. You really gotta watch shot placement if you want to preserve the hide. One gun I never should have traded and will own another someday.

I had watched a friend of mine who didn't own another rifle but a .243. He hunted elk, mule deer, blacktails, and black bear. He hunted in brown bear country alone with no backup gun...just his .243. I did think he went overboard when he took on a brown bear though. He got himself in a little trouble. Told him not to pick a fight with that bear and a toy gun. Moral is that it's a great round for what your looking to do but they all have limitations.

Thanks for all the good advice from you .243 people that speak from experience. I appreciate your knowledge and experience with this round, in the applications I mentioned at the beginning of this thread. It has assured me that I wouldn't be making a mistake with the .243 round. Someone even mentioned reloading. That's one reason I'm interested in the .243. My friend has the dies and brass, and we had planned to reload some. My sweet litle 'ol blue haired granny used to say, "A penny saved is a penny earned", or something to that effect. You all know what I mean.

One more question... anyone have any experience with the Remington 742 in the .243 round, or do you suggest I try to stick with a bolt action for best range and accuracy with the round? I've heard somewhere that the actions are prone to excessive wear with lots of use, and that gunsmiths don't want to work on them! I'm just trying to get the most bang (no pun intended) for my buck, and was thinking of an semi-auto or pump. I once owned a budget gun in a savage 110 in the 7mm Rem Mag, and liked it.

Anyone out there know of a good reasonably priced .243 for sale or trade? Thanks again for the help.

Don't look to the 742 for jaw dropping accuracy. For accuracy at a great price, I'd look at the Savage bolts and maybe a Remington model 700 ADL. Savage makes a butt ugly, yet very accurate and affordable rifle. If you can find one, Savage once made a model 99 lever action in 243. I have one and LOVE it.

Don't look to the 742 for jaw dropping accuracy. For accuracy at a great price, I'd look at the Savage bolts and maybe a Remington model 700 ADL. Savage makes a butt ugly, yet very accurate and affordable rifle. If you can find one, Savage once made a model 99 lever action in 243. I have one and LOVE it.

Thanks for all the good information. Westwind Mike sent me a link to an article on the Remington 742. That article, you guys input, and some other research has led me to walk away from the 742s, and to consider the "butt ugly" Savage, as you called it. I have a Marlin .30-30 lever action that I'm considering seeking a trade for a Savage .243. The guy I got it from described it as "like new" so maybe there'll be a Savage .243 "coyote slayer" out there somewhere for me. I just wish the .243s were as plentiful as the 06s. Thanks for your response..

Savage make an excellent rifle, especially in the smaller calibers. I highly recommend them.

As for the 243 I would not say it is ideal for anything but dangerous game as someone suggested. However for your needs it is certainly adequate. It will kill deer and works OK for yotes, though like smaller cartridges for yotes. I have hunted with 243's in the past with success. I no longer own one, that I recall, as I am covered with 17, 204 Ruger, 223, 22-250,25-06 and 270. I just don't need one.

Personally I like bolt actions for this type of round. That is my preference. As I said, to me the Savage is a great rifle, for the money maybe the best.

243 is inexpensive to shoot and offers many choices in manufacturer and ammo. I would get some Nosler and some Barnes and see which one works better in the rifle you get.

Good luck.

.243 will do the job, Deer and Coyote alike. I have the savage 110 its a great rifle. I use the 100 grain for both game.

The only negative is that you are limited to hunting bullets when buying from big box stores. If you wanted a FMJ for practice, well I have not found any yet. I am sure someone makes it.

Thanks, that looks great, perfect in fact, and we've worked out a deal. It's just the logistics of getting the two of us together, in the same place, and at the same time! If the two of us can agree to hold our guns for two weeks, we probably have a solid deal!

Thanks for the tip.

Why do they call it common sense, when it's so uncommon? TN Sen. Fred Thompson

Keep an eye on Gun Owner's Club. I've actually found some bargains there.

- Gun Owners Club! - A Place for Gun Enthusiasts

Thanks for the tip. I spend a lot of time on the sight. In fact, have a possible deal pending on there right now. I hope we'll be able to close on it in a couple of weeks.

Why do they call it common sense, when it's so uncommon? TN Sen. Fred Thompson

Warbird, I appreciate all the information on the .243. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm trying to triangulate a little bit here. I'm wanting a rifle that shoots a suitable round for coyotes, one suitable for deer, and one that doesn't break the bank to shoot. I believe the .243 would fill those three requirements just fine. A friend of mine reloads .243 which makes it even better. Now, if I could just find a nice one for sale... in the Savage 110 .243!

Why is it called common sense, when it's so uncommon? TN Sen. Fred Thompson

I just saw a Remington (I believe the model number was 710) bolt action at Wal Mart in Bowling Green Kentucky. It had a synthetic stock and was chambered in 243 Winchester. The price was $357.99. I believe it would satisfy your criteria quite well. You do know that Wal Mart can order a large selection of firearms from a catalog you can find in their sporting goods department.

I just saw a Remington (I believe the model number was 710) bolt action at Wal Mart in Bowling Green Kentucky. It had a synthetic stock and was chambered in 243 Winchester. The price was $357.99. I believe it would satisfy your criteria quite well. You do know that Wal Mart can order a large selection of firearms from a catalog you can find in their sporting goods department.

Thanks for the information. I've recently checked into this at the WM in the Boro. I can order a Svage Model 110 in .243 caliber, with a scope for $375 plus tas & TICS. This is the synthetic stock model. I'd like to find one like this in excellent used condition. The one mentioned earlier in this thread was sold locally. I sure hope you guys will help me find one within a reasonable driving distance of Murfreesboro. I'm convinced the .243 will fill my needs. Now, just to find a good one. Thanks guys.

Why do they call it common sense, when it's so uncommon? TN Senator Fred Thompson

• 2 weeks later...

Again, thanks to everyone that shared their knowledge and experiences with the .243. I'm happy to report that I'm the proud pappa of twins... .243s, that is! I bought a Howa 1500 in .243, and a Savage model 10 in .243. I haven't shot either one of them yet. I was doing some internet research on the Howa 1500, and found a safety recall on the bolt! Actually, it's quite old, but my bolt hadn't been modified. So, it went in the mail today... supposedly to be back in three weeks. (fingers crossed on that timing) But, I have the Savage I can shoot, once I get the scope sighted in. If you know anyone with a Howa, please tell them to check to see if the safety recall applies to their bolt. They warn not to shoot the gun again, until it's complied with! It's a free fix... they even send a postage paid mailer kit. I had mine insured with a receipt notice, all for less than $10.00. So, thanks guys. I'm no longer looking for a .243... just ammo! It seems the beginning of deer season wiped out the Wal-Mart supply! Why do they call it common sense, when it's so uncommon? TN Sen. Fred Thompson