The Kaiser and the Swiss Sergeant

Guest Matchguy

Guest Matchguy

For you lovers of good marksmanship and accurate rifles, here's a cute story I ran across when I was dinking around with the Swiss K-31's. Dunno if it's true or not but it surrounds the Swiss love of good marksmanship and their wonderful army rifles. I think you''ll enjoy it.

There is an old story about a time before WWI when the Kaiser visited Switzerland to try and intimidate the Swiss into being annexed by Germany. As the story goes, the Swiss stood their ground and the Kaiser was hopping mad by the time he got to the train station to go home.

Stationed outside his car was a Swiss Army Honor Guard and as the Kaiser saw the elderly sergeant in charge he blew his stack and angrily blurted out....."Sergeant, der Cherman Army ist tvice the size of der Sviss Army! Vat vill you do ven ve invade you!!??

Nonplussed, the old Swiss sergeant snapped to attention and in a calm, measured voice replied: "Vell, mein herr, in zat case I vould fire my rifle tvice."

The Kaiser stormed onto the train and never invaded Switzerland. And even if it isn't true it's a good story. Have a nice weekend.

Jer

modify_inline.gif

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HexHead
Nope, sorry. I posted a basic overview for you. It wasn't the Kaiser who was killed..... Besides, the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand (whom you obviously meant to reference) was only a portion of the cause ;):

First World War.com - Feature Articles - The Causes of World War One

He wasn't even the cause, only the excuse. Austria-Hungary was looking for an excuse to invade Serbia. Serbia had a self-defense pact with Russia. A-H had one with Germany. Britain had one with Russia too and France, well they were still pissy about the Franco-Prussian war so they were again ready for round two with the Germans. Keep in mind that King George V, Kaiser Wilhelm and Czar Nicolas were all first cousins, as was the wife of the Emperor of A-H. Queen Victoria was their collective grandmother. Lot's of wires went back and forth between them starting out like "Dear Cousin Nicky..." trying to avert war. But to no avail.

For you lovers of good marksmanship and accurate rifles, here's a cute story I ran across when I was dinking around with the Swiss K-31's. Dunno if it's true or not but it surrounds the Swiss love of good marksmanship and their wonderful army rifles. I think you''ll enjoy it.

There is an old story about a time before WWI when the Kaiser visited Switzerland to try and intimidate the Swiss into being annexed by Germany. As the story goes, the Swiss stood their ground and the Kaiser was hopping mad by the time he got to the train station to go home.

Stationed outside his car was a Swiss Army Honor Guard and as the Kaiser saw the elderly sergeant in charge he blew his stack and angrily blurted out....."Sergeant, der Cherman Army ist tvice the size of der Sviss Army! Vat vill you do ven ve invade you!!??

Nonplussed, the old Swiss sergeant snapped to attention and in a calm, measured voice replied: "Vell, mein herr, in zat case I vould fire my rifle tvice."

The Kaiser stormed onto the train and never invaded Switzerland. And even if it isn't true it's a good story. Have a nice weekend.

Jer

modify_inline.gif

I like it!! It doesnt matter whether it is a "fable" or not. The Swiss were a great people. They had universal conscription and a gun in the hands of every male. It's a great idea -- exactly what the Israeli's do now ---, and in my view, exactly what we should do here in this country. The Swiss weathered two world wars with this philosophy.

The great Admiral Yamamoto (pardon my spelling) counseled his peers in Jappan not to invade the USA. He said that there would be "a rifleman behind every blade of grass". Oh that it was true today.

It is also rumored that Hitler said the same thing about the Swiss in WWII; but i cant find the citation.

Great information.

Keep up the good work.

Kind regards,

LEROY