Cherokee National: Illegal to carry?

Guest (BH)

I searched around but have only found vague and conflicting info from a few years ago. Does anybody know if I have the right to protect my family and I from wild boars and what not in Cherokee National Forest?

My family used to own property in the Tellico Plains area and I have experienced first hand what sorts of animals roam the Tellico River area. I love to hike and camp around the Tellico and Bald river areas and now that my wife (and soon young my young daughter as well) come with me, I would feel much safer with a good ol' fashion woods gun on my hip.

So, I'm sure one can't carry without a HCP, but can permit holders carry up there? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no TN state law of Federal law that prevents carry.

However Federal Law does allow rangers to issue "special orders" for the Forest under their care. Some rangers have used this to ban handgun carry.

The only way to know for 100% sure is to contact the ranger for the area you are going.

Guest flyinglowwithheat

Good question. Interesting especially if your headed to a place that has it's own laws. Apparently NC doesn't allow it so I guess you have to be careful in what state your in too along with the Federal laws.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/northcarolina.pdf

Carry In State Parks/State & National Forests/WMA/Road Side Rest Areas

Carry Allowed in these Areas:

State Parks: NO 15A NCAC 12B .0901

State/National Forests: NO

WMA’s: NO

Road Side Rest Areas: YES §14-269.4

Which brings up the question: What if your just passing through on one of the roads, like US64?

Edited by flyinglowwithheat
Good question. Interesting especially if your headed to a place that has it's own laws. Apparently NC doesn't allow it so I guess you have to be careful in what state your in too along with the Federal laws.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/northcarolina.pdf

Carry In State Parks/State & National Forests/WMA/Road Side Rest Areas

Carry Allowed in these Areas:

State Parks: NO 15A NCAC 12B .0901

State/National Forests: NO

WMA’s: NO

Road Side Rest Areas: YES §14-269.4

Which brings up the question: What if your just passing through on one of the roads, like US64?

If you are passing through (Ie driving from Cleveland to Murphy) you are fine. Just don't stop to go camping or take a leak. Then you might be in violation, The ranger station is easy to get to and if you need the phone number (in case you want to call and ask them about camping), I have it.

I forget, since it's been awhile, but are National Forests covered in the new federal carry law that goes in effect in Feb?

- OS

No, only Parks and WMAs

However that is because there is no federal law or reg against carry in a National Forest.

I always find it amusing that when one asks a carry question of the powers that be no one really knows. Make a mistake, though, and it's amazing what people can remember at the drop of a hat.

You hit it right on. One well intended step taken by a squeaky clean law abiding citizen can make that person a criminal. Way too many unnecessary laws on the books.

oldogy

You hit it right on. One well intended step taken by a squeaky clean law abiding citizen can make that person a criminal. Way too many unnecessary laws on the books.

oldogy

Or in this case not even a law, just the whim of a politically appointed bureaucrat....

On 8/19/09 the Cherokee National Forest Public Service Group Staff Officer issued an internal memorandum to all their staff that stated the following with regard to the recent state (TN) handgun carry law changes:

"If you are asked may I carry my handgun in the Cherokee National if I have a gun carry permit? - the answer is yes."

End Quote

I have a copy of that memo.

On 8/19/09 the Cherokee National Forest Public Service Group Staff Officer issued an internal memorandum to all their staff that stated the following with regard to the recent state (TN) handgun carry law changes:

"If you are asked may I carry my handgun in the Cherokee National if I have a gun carry permit? - the answer is yes."

End Quote

I have a copy of that memo.

How about send me a copy of that.