Traveling w/ Firearms

Guest JonB

sorry if this is the wrong place for this, but im goin to be doin some traveling soon. ok, im going to be doing alot of traveling soon. im going to be driving to Alaska, passing through many different states. some reciprocate TN HCP and some do not. does anyone know of any special rules for transporting through the states that do not reciprocate or is separating the gun and magazine sufficiant. thanks in advance.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You best look beyond just the states. Unless you're taking a ferry from Seattle to Alaska, you're passing through Canada. Even then you may still be passing through Canadian waters. I don't know Canadian laws but I would sure investigate this. If taking the ferry, they may have rules of their own. If driving, you're crossing the border. Check it out, eh.

im alreay on top of that. some paperwork involved but so far doesnt look like it will be too much hassle getting firearms through Canada. havent found restrictions on ammo yet but so far the only firearm i own that is restricted in canada (maybe a good thing i havent got an AR yet) is my Walther P22. no pistols in .25 or .32 or anything with a barrel 4" or shorter

im alreay on top of that. some paperwork involved but so far doesnt look like it will be too much hassle getting firearms through Canada. havent found restrictions on ammo yet but so far the only firearm i own that is restricted in canada (maybe a good thing i havent got an AR yet) is my Walther P22. no pistols in .25 or .32 or anything with a barrel 4" or shorter

So, if you have a gun in Canada there's no fooling around. It's got to be big. I like some Canadian concepts. This rates right up there with cheese curds and gravy on fries.

I envy you. I've always wanted to travel around Alaska. So far I've only seen it a few times from the air. Well...and on tv. Take lots of pictures to share with us.

From http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USRVCarCarry.pdf

Federal Law on Interstate Transportation of Firearms

Code of Federal Regulations

Title 18 - Part I - Chapter 44 - § 926a

§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Release date: 2005-08-03

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

US CODE: Title 18,926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

You can also check the from page of the site Handgunlaw.us to check information on all states.

Please post to let us know how this all works out.

• 2 weeks later...