Point Shooting - Does it work?

I have been reading about different tactics for home defense and various methods of low light shooting and came across one called point shooting. While I'm familiar with the concept, does pulling the trigger with your middle finger allow for proper control of the firearm and shot placement? Does anyone have any experience with this method or have other suggestions on a better method?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Point shooting isn't pulling the trigger with your middle finger... Here is the 'definition', if you care to read it: Point shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia but the premise is to use your instinctive hand-eye coordination to engage close targets without using the sights. And yes, it does work.

Pulling the trigger with the middle finger is a good way to push the gun off-target while shooting quickly, and reduce accuracy. Whatever floats your boat though, but there are no real advantages... since you lose a finger on the grip of the gun to actually control it in a constructive manner. I've tried it plenty (we had this discussion a couple years ago I believe), so I'm not just talking out of my donkey.

point shooting can be your best friend. And this is where having a handgun that points naturally for you comes into play.

And Eddie is right, it has nothing to do with using a middle finger to pull the trigger.

Chances are when you need to deploy the weapon you will not have time to line up your sights like you are at the range.

I used to practice it a lot, good reminder to get back on that train.

I generally point shoot at least a mag's worth at 7-10 yards when I shoot my EDC at range. It's one of the reasons I settled on XD SC instead of Glock 26 (the XD points better for me).

Usually draw and fire two or three at a time.

Sometimes try draw, fire one, and then fire couple more while "getting off the X".

Seems to me if the Bad Thing ever happens, I wouldn't be collected enough to focus on a tiny area of my pistol.

Point shooting seems also more conducive to expanding your field of view rather than narrowing it, pretty important if more than one assailant, would seem to me.

(I've never read any credible trainer who advocates middle finger on trigger, though.)

- OS

Guest canynracer
I practice point shooting as described by Eddie/molonlabetn every time I go to the range. I can put them center mass. I am not making great groups but they are all there.

Ditto

Awsome feedback folks! I can see how losing the middle finger from the grip makes it hard to hold steady after a while...19+1 rounds gets heavy! Plus, Im pretty sure that if I were to have to engage quickly I'd revert to how I've always shot - index finger on the trigger. I won't try to use a technique in the real world until I'm sure I'm comfortable with it. I'm headed to the range today to try different techniques and see how they feel. Thanks for all the advice!

The site where you found that drivel is ran by a moron. Hour has zero idea how the human body functions. Use the same basic grip people have been using for centuries - pull the trigger with your index finger.

Given proper instruction you can learn piont shooting well enough to pass about any LEO qualifier in about 50 rds.

Guest jackdm3

I took my sights off the 96G. They got in the way. The rear sights tended to snag. I'm not looking for long distance shooting. With a smooth top, my accuracy has been the better for it. When I quick draw, I find that I don't use the sights for close-quarters, point shooting anyway. I think with a rapid response, you may not use sights as much, either. I'm not suggesting you remove sights, but it worked for me.

To me its about the situation.

If i have cover and the target is not approaching then i will use my sights to make them count.

If i'm mobile or its heated as in target is approaching my cover then it is point shoot center of mass while i keep moving to secure distance or cover.

Example: Person comes up with a weapon in a parking lot to me and attacks. Point shoot center of mass while moving for cover then goto sights for follow up if target wish's or can continue so i can save rounds.

Edited by Tobashadow
I don't have any combat experience... but this guy does. and he says use your sights.

Thanks for this, but two things come to mind:

First was his talking about liability for law enforcement. Back in the day, (1993 for me - I don't know if it's the same today), the average police department qualified twice a year at best, and the average police officer didn't spend a whole lot of time at the range in between qualifications. In other words, lack of training and practice didn't allow them to become proficient: therefore, they should be taught to only use their sights, but you can bet that under stress they didn't: hence, the misses at just 3 feet. The old standard that you'll react as you were trained comes to mind, and if your training lacks at both you'll suck at both.

Second is that he stated that you should use your sights whenever the situation, "...allows us to get up on the target...." "Allows" is the operative word there. If there are innocents in close proximity or behind you can bet I'll use my sights. If the range is too far I'll use my sights. But if he's closing I'm not going to waste the precious time trying to obtain a proper sight picture and alignment.

Corrected for spelling

Edited by SWJewellTN
...he stated that you should use your sights whenever the situation, "...allows us to get up on the target...." "Allows" is the operative word there. If there are innocents in close proximity or behind you can bet I'll use my sights. If the range is too far I'll use my sights. But if he's closing I'm not going to waste the precious time trying to obtian a proper sight picture and alignment.

agree 100%. :koolaid: