Kahr Question

Guest pwhphd

I would like to hear member impressions of the Kahr PM9 and PM380 from those who currently own them. There is very little difference in the size, but I would like to hear from someone who actually owns them as to their trigger, recoil, and shooting characteristics. I have read several reviews in Gun magazines, but I am seeking actual experience. Thank You.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You want 9mm for SD.

You really do.

I like my PM9 very much, only reason it's no longer my EDC is that I'm more comfy with more rounds. I'll carry it in pocket on the rare occasions I have to wear dress clothes.

Kahr-Stellar-sm.jpg

I haven't shot the Kahr .380, but I have shot the Ruger LCP, and the PM9 has less perceived shock than that. I shot 100 rounds through the PM9 any number of times, painless.

- OS

Guest pdosafety

I own both of the models the PM9 and the P380. The 380 is a half inch shorter and a little thinner. I like carring both. I would say go with the PM9 because of the ammo situation. But you can't go wrong with either one. But i will say that this little P380 is nice. I would just buy both if i was you. If you can find the 380 anywhere.

love mine. it runs fine for me, approx. 200-300 rds will really smooth it out. trigger is heavy, as it should be for a non-manual safety gun. it in no way affects rapid fire and effective fire to Center of Mass out to 50 yds. excellent choice for very discreet carry. an IWB, hip or front, will make it disappear. gun can rapid fire into COM 6 inch at 10 yds no prob. also agree with others, 9mm availability and firepower outweighs .380 option by a long shot. the new Hornady XTP and similar rounds (once widely available) will be the superior choice. until then, hydroshok, gold dot, ect, are good choices. The Kahrs have very steep feed ramps and will run ball ammo all day long, but can become somewhat picky w/ hollowpoint. The Powerball round solves this problem. My recommendation is that once acquired, break it in then test the round you intend to carry in it for reliability. my feedramp was polished to glass smooth and i can run pretty much everything out there. keep us posted with your choice!

Guest SureShot308

I have the P380 as my BUG. I love it. It disappears in my front pocket, and it's always there when I need it. For the size of the gun it is very accurate. Mine did take a little bit of work to feed right, but once I got that worked out I can go through 2 boxes of ammo with zero issues. I wouldn't carry it as my only gun except to go to the kitchen for a bottle of water in the middle of the night. Felt recoil is less than the LCP, and the Keltec P3AT. It is very pleasant to shoot. Ammo is about the only down side to it.

The trigger pull is long but it is smooth.

If you have big hands you might not like it though, it has a pretty damn small profile.

I'm seriously thinking about picking up a PM9 also.

Both of them would be a good choice.

The response to my thread has been excellent. The PM9 seems to have all the right answers. The availability of ammunition and the more powerful caliber are certainly important, but the comments regarding the felt recoil and trigger characteristics have been very helpful. Thank You.

• 2 weeks later...

Finding someone who wants to sell a used Kahr PM-9 has been fruitless. That probably speaks to the satisfaction of PM-9 owners. I decided to just order a new one from my FFL contact. He thought it was a wise choice [although he had initially recommended a Ruger LCP]. He also thought the extra expense for the Kahr would be realized in the quality of the pistol. Thanks, again, for everyone's input.

Guest m4coyote

The PM9 is currently my every day carry pistol. It goes with me every where, and I do trust it. I had a failure to completely feed at about round 175, but a nudge to the rear of the slide sent the round home.

I have fired about two thousand rounds through mine, and find the little PM9 more accurate than it has a right to be. Expensive, yes, but the performance has been there for me. I hope you are as satisfied with yours, as I am with mine!

Guest TurboniumOxide

PM9 is my EDC as well. It is a sweet gun. I have the PM45 as well which I bought after loving the PM9 at the range. It is very well made, very smooth trigger. Accurate, but requires practice to get the most out of it. Not light, which is good and keeps muzzle flip to a minimum. It took a couple hundred rounds to smooth out feeding hollow points nicely. The only problem is that it is a little pricey, but in this case, you get what you pay for.

I carry the PM9 in a nemesis pocket holster. I also carry the PM45 in the same holster. The 45 is a little larger and a little heavier, but is very impressive as well.

When my PM9 was new, the recoil rod cap unscrewed itself and was lost. Kahr sent me a new rod/spring assembly free, and I bought another one just in case for $14. The cap should have been loctited, but maybe didn't get enough to stick. The gun continued to function, even with the cap missing for more than 50 rounds.

I can't recommend it enough.

I own a PM9 which I bought from someone on this forum. So far it has run flawlessly and the recoil is very manageable. It hasn't replaced my S&W 638 for EDC yet, but I suspect that day isn't far off.

I am at the same point you are. My carry holster, Desantis Nemesis, is suppose to arrive today for the PM9. Right now my EDC is a Ruger SP101.

I have both, and like them both. The PM9 was reliable out of the box--the 380 was not. I stripped the latter one down and found a rough spot on the slide. After I fixed that, it's been 100% reliable.

My PM9 is my every day carry, and it's what I've done classes with. I really, really like it. The 380 is definitely smaller, but the trigger on that thing is really "long"--I mean you think something is broken before it breaks. :popcorn:

If you're ever in the Nashville area, you're welcome to shoot both of mine.

I love my PM9 and it is my EDC. 500 rounds with zero issues.

I also have the Nemesis holster which practically disappears in a pair of baggy jeans or khakis. If I'm wearing tighter fitting dress clothes, I wear a Crossbreed mini-tuck. The mini-tuck is a great IWB holster for this weapon!

Received the PM-9 yesterday. The only surprise is how tight it is. I now know why they recommend the 200 round break-in period. I am sure it will loose up some, but the fit and finish is unbelievably good compared to other polymer pistols I have seen. Very nice, indeed.