So I want a safe.

Looking for suggestions on a safe. This is to go in the back of a walk-in closet, so dimensions are an issue. Height should be no more than about 60", depth should be absolutely no more than 24", and that's with taking a slice out of the baseboard to fit it flush against the wall. 23" if I want to leave the baseboard in place and mount a board on the wall to bolt it to instead of directly to the drywall and studs.

A quick search found this one, which seems to meet all my requirements:

Stack-on Elite 24 Gun Convertible Gun Safe - Dick's Sporting Goods

This would work too if I take the slice out of the baseboard. I should be able to work around that last .2", but the front will overhang a floor register for the AC by a fraction of an inch. Worst case I can slice a bit off the end of the register cover so I can slip it in and out.

Sentry®Safe Fire-Resistant 24-Gun Safe with 4-Way Interior - Matte Finish (Choose Delivery & Lock Option) - Dick's Sporting Goods

I'm still debating electronic vs mechanical combo locks.

I'd be more than willing to talk to one of the vendors here who sell safes as well, I just link those two on Dick's since they actually list prices and dimensions on their web site.

Just wanted to pick some brains here.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker

I'd run by the Safe House and take a look at some in person. You may get to Dicks and not like the layout since all you get is a pictrue. I've seen some on the Internet before and when I actually looked at them up close didn't like the layout, etc (I know most are configurable).

Good luck with your search!

• Administrator

Mark over at the Safe House will be able to find something to fit your exact needs and will save you a lot of running around in the process. Plus you'll have the option of buying something a lot more rugged than what they sell in the Big Box Stores.

The Safe House: nashvillesafehouse.com :: Professional Safe Movers, Commercial and Residential Safes, Gun Safes, Safe Rental, Safe Service and Repair, serving Middle Tennessee

• Admin Team

I got my safe from Mark at the Safe House after doing a lot of looking around and comparing. It was worth the minimal difference in price to have them move it.

I'm under the same constraints you are from a dimensional perspective. The Browning Bronze model I got fit that 23" depth perfectly.

Edited by MacGyver
Typing on the iphone is tough
I got my safe from Mark at the Safe House after doing a lot of looking around and comparing. It was worth the minimal difference in price to have them move it.

I'm under the same constraints you are from a dimensional perspective. The Browning Bronze model I got fit that 23" depth perfectly.

I'm looking at their web site now. Looks like the only Bronze that would fit is the BR16F, which it says is 24x60x19. I'm assuming the 19 is the depth. Is that what you bought?

There's a Copper series model that could work too. The C26F is 30w x 60h x 25d. 25" would overhang the register by an inch, even with the baseboard cut out, but I could work around that by replacing the metal register cover with a plastic one and trimming one end down to fit. But they don't list prices and I'd like to have some idea of what I'm looking at. Money is an object.

Edited by BryanP
You may not want your safe that close to your a/c register. The heated and cooled air may cause condensation. It may not be a problem, but just thought I would throw that out there.

And that's the kind of thing I need to figure out. I may just block that register over with a piece of wood if that would make the difference and won't harm anything. It's in the back of the closet, after all.

The electronic vs manual lock comes down to your likes/dislikes. I went with manual when I bought my Liberty years ago. With the way my luck runs, the battery would be dead when I needed to get into it. LOL

I did go with an electronic lock on my Guardian wall safe just for the ease of use.

With that said, as others have mentioned, after a few years you will end up having to get another one. My large Liberty is brimming at the gills with the wifes' jewelry that I bought her in Dubia and Bahrain, deeds, titles, birth certs., improtant papers, etc, etc, etc..... With a little room left over for my firearms. LOL