Better Mouse Trap (ie Cleaning Brass)

Guest FroggyOne2

Guest 70below

I've got access to an ultrasonic cleaner in the lab at work, I'll have to give it a try.

One thing I like about this method, it shouldn't "wear" the brass, perhaps give a load or two of extra life out of a case?

Edited by 70below
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FroggyOne2

Just remember that really you do need the beaker.. and have it suspended in the water not touching the bottom.. But I am interested in what your results are.. I am looking forward to this very much.. pics man.. give us some pics too!

It does seem that 50 at one time may be too many. I will try 25 next time. I used brass that has been loaded five times with out any cleaning

(except primer hole cleanup with the Lee cheap tool).

Now after the swim in the tank...

They are as clean inside as out... and for time time that it took

I am pleased.

I did not use a beaker..so I cleaned them on thier side and then stood them up in a group for a few cycles. There is a plastic basket in the bottom that kept them from touching the metal bottom. Come to think of it the noise is not that bad either.

I meant to take before pic's but forgot...

O'well after pics

4031245846_ffd0f58a08_b.jpg

4031248984_5cf27ed34c_b.jpg

4030503841_87c0ca8530_b.jpg

4030507053_9b9423564c_b.jpg

Thanks for the link with the info Froggy2

I like pie: using a tumbler don't get the insides and the primer pockets clean, but the ultrasonic does.. you telling me that you get all that clean with your tumbler?

No, but it really doesn't matter other than piece of mind. Clean them only to fill them back up with graphite and nitrocellulose. I understand the consistency concept, but I am of the school of thought that humidity differences from day to day will provide more of a variance than the 0.00x inch layer of dirt on the inside of the bottleneck. there is more of a variance in case capacity though manufacture...despite similar weight.

I agree that it starts with more of a "blank" sheet of paper, but that is the difference between a shooter and a benchrest shooter. You benchrest folks sure are an odd lot. :P

Despite the ribbing - it is an interesting application of an ultrasonic cleaner.

Edited by I_Like_Pie