Better Mouse Trap (ie Cleaning Brass)

Guest FroggyOne2

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jackdm3

I knew a pawn shop jeweler who used to put his hands in it to clean off a week's worth of grime buildup. He said it was quite painful but the results were outstanding.

Good grief that didn't really get the cases any cleaner than walnut media in a tumbler...FWIW benchrest folks like the person who wrote that article are not different than baseball players with respect to the crazy superstitions that they observe in an effort to "improve their game"

Ultrasonic is great for cleaning guns because it is faster and does a good job if you have the money to get one big enough to work. However cleaning brass in an ultrasonic cleaner more or less wastes a lot of time for very little, if any, benefit.

Guest FroggyOne2

I like pie: using a tumbler don't get the insides and the primer pockets clean, but the ultrasonic does.. you telling me that you get all that clean with your tumbler?

I used to be a jewler and used those all the time. It will break loose dirt but wont really shine them up. If your going to do that go ahead and buy you a steamer to blow them out too. Oh and a polishing machine. You'll have the most bling at the range!

I like pie: using a tumbler don't get the insides and the primer pockets clean, but the ultrasonic does.. you telling me that you get all that clean with your tumbler?

I kinda like the looks of this too... If I could get a cleaner that would clean 50 .308 cases at a time I would do it. I clean the outside of the cases "fair" put I always see the dirty inside of the cases and it pisses me off, "neat freak" LOL

Froggy do you have a setup like this or are you going to put one together? I would like to know which machine you have or are considering.

Guest FroggyOne2

I am going to put it together.. at the end of Jan.. I will still keep the vib tumbler.. to clean the cases after they have been sized.

As for the machine, I guess I will do as many others have done on 6mmBR . com .. get one from Harbor Frieght.

Guest Mugster

I think I'll just stick with a tumbler and a case brush. There's a limit as to how much money I want to put into cleaning brass. You get diminishing returns pretty quick.

Titan, I am so anal bout my loads that I even weigh the primers.

WOW :D that is anal!

I read that many of the top match shooters only check their primer pockets for uniformity, but dont clean them. Consistency in the pocket is more important than cleanliness, I guess. (sounds like Im critiquing Kerry Collins!)

I bet if you stopped cleaning them you wouldn't notice a difference.

Guest FroggyOne2

Well the reason that I make sure that they are clean is seating depth uniformity. Just so that you know.. I generally don't shoot no closer than 600 yards and do most of my shooting at 1000 yards.. I am always in the persuit in the reduction of verticle dispersion.. something that isn't really seen all that much at 100 to 300 yards.. so at those distances.. yes.. weighing and primer depth all isn't really a need.. But it is a good idea if you are shooting a auto loader that your primers are below the mouth of the primer pocket, with some primers.. you will need to uniform the pockets to attain this. though.. most highpower shooters that I know.. go to at least making sure that every aspect is consistant, maybe not as far as I with weighing the primers.. but then, my verticle dispersion is at about 1/2 MOA and I am not sure I can get it any better.

Edited by FroggyOne2
Guest tnvolfan

Those primer pockets are VERY, VERY IMPRESSIVE! I have read studies of how fouling around the pockets affects the way the expansion occurs, and therefore, the way the cartridge fires. I understand how people get "anal" about the pockets. Thanks for publishing this. Getting good info is what this forum is all about!

I've had pretty good luck ordering stuff through HF. Thats probably your best bet. The second one is for $40. Thats cheap enough to get me interested, lol.

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

I picked up the one in the link above at lunch. Then off to kroger for baking soda, White Vinagar, and Distilled water.

I could not find a beaker but it looks like the machine will work without a beaker ;) If it will then I will try a test run tonight. I was going to start cleaning brass tonight anyway so what better time to experimnet ?