Addtional training?

Guest VTCessnaPilot

Guest VTCessnaPilot

Now that I've had my HCP for about a year, I suddenly realized I that if I was ever called upon to use my weapon, the only real training I've had is the basic target practice I do at the range.

I worry that in a defensive situation, I won't have any real practice or muscle memory to rely on in what has to be a very stressful situation. Can anyone recommend additional training classes in the Mid Tenn area that they've had success with?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Jason.

Pilot, I commend you for knowing what you don't know and being a "5 percenter" (only about 5% of civilian firearms owners seek intermediate-advanced defensive training).

We have a number of course reviews on here from past students that you could check out. We'd love to have you in a future course, but even if you train elsewhere.....train, and make sure you spend your time and money wisely and choose a quality instructor.

Guest Todd@CIS

I'll echo BigPoppa's comments.

Thumbs up for realizing your needs.

This link says Defensive Pistol for some reason, but it actually goes to our Advanced Concealed Carry class.

Defensive Pistol

PS. hugs Jason :screwy:

Edited by Todd@CIS
Guest Bronker
I'll echo BigPoppa's comments.

Thumbs up for realizing your needs.

This link says Defensive Pistol for some reason, but it actually goes to our Advanced Concealed Carry class.

Defensive Pistol

PS. hugs Jason :D

I can only comment on Todd's (CIS) training course, as I've not taken anyone else's advanced courses. But comment I will!

I found myself in your exact position a while back. Even after having my HCP for over 10 years, I had relied on how I 'hoped' that I 'might' react in a true self-defense scenario. I had full confidence that I could win a scenario where the bad guy stood at seven yards, motionless, with his back pressed against a piece of cardboard. Anything else, I was out-matched! No one ever really knows what they will do or how they will react (and I hope I never do), but I realized that I owed it to myself and my family to give myself some sort of preemptive advantage. Todd (among others) had rave reviews for his courses, so my wife and I took the Advanced Carry offering. What an eye-opener. In a nut-shell, the instruction is awesome. Not redundant. Not watered-down. Not dumbed-down. It's intense, but not pressured. It's fast-paced, but not hurried. I learned so much. I practiced drills that I would have never been brave enough to do without instruction. Todd and Dustin are great guys, and I recommend this class with no hesitation!

Regardless, find a reputable instructor, and take a class! It will expose your weaknesses AND strengths. Go for it!

As for hugs from Todd...can't speak to that...but I have heard that he and David have been known to engage in tactical tickle-fights. Just sayin...

Guest Muttling

I haven't taken their tactical courses, but I was really impressed with On Target in Murfreesboro's HCP class. I would add them to the list of good folks to consider.

Additionally, I would highly recommend some tactical training. Shooting tactical is a bit different than target shooting or hunting.

After my Hcp class I thought that if I had a malfunction I would just throw the gun at the bad guy & run, after a class or twelve, that would not be my strategy now. there was so much that I didn't know that I didn't know, if you know what I mean. but one thing is certain its all about the basics.

I took the Advanced Issues in Handgun Carry class @ Coal Creek Academy (CCA) on Oct 5th. Kent has left CCA and Rick Newstorm is now teaching all of the classes there. Nice guy and very personable. He picked up where the HCP carry class left off and spent a great deal of time talking about when you can and more importantly can't use deadly force. He also discussed a lot of other issues. He has done good research on TN law and his info was current. I left the class with a better idea of what is and isn't legal but there are still questions posed in these posts and situtions that I can think of that I have no clear cut answer for. The class was supposed to be 2 hours of classroom time & 1 hour of range time but Mr. Newstrom had more info than time and was still talking @ closing time. We didn't shoot but he did give us certificates for free range time. My summation for those in the Knoxville area near Coal Creek is time and money well spent.

I consider these guys the best in the buisness here in Tennessee. PRI, they have their own 75-yard handgun range and its 600-yard rifle range are located in Hickman County, Tennessee, less than an hour's drive west of Nashville. Several of their instructoers are Gunsite Instructors, and I believe they have the best advanced classes going.

www.prifirearmstraining.com