When you were new

Craftypoppa

Guest AreSeeFiddyWon
If you feel comfortable carrying a fully loaded DA revolver, and uncomfortable carrying a pistol with one in the chamber, then carry the revolver until you are perfectly comfortable with the pistol. Heck, you may decide that the revolver is your best carry option.

This is the right one.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Muttling
If you feel comfortable carrying a fully loaded DA revolver, and uncomfortable carrying a pistol with one in the chamber, then carry the revolver until you are perfectly comfortable with the pistol. Heck, you may decide that the revolver is your best carry option.

So you're telling me that a revolver is NOT a pistol. hmmmm...

Does that make it a rifle or a shotgun???

(cough....Bull:poop:....cough) ;)

I carry/have carried since day 1, with one in the pipe as well. WITH NO EXTERNAL safety, and my XD's are JUST as safe as ANY other weapon. KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER AND USE A LITTLE EXTRA CAUTION IN REHOLSTERING, AMONG YOUR OTHER BASIC GUN SAFETY TECHNIQUES, and NO WORRIES.;)

BUT in the end, one Must carry in the manner that they are comfortable.

ummm...I said Glock, not XD. :)

the XD's grip safety makes it safer, IMO. Glock = no safety (unless you count the one on the bang-button :))

actually, I'm a fan of XD's...in fact, I'm saving up to buy one right now. :D

I grew up around handguns and was always taught that every firearm IS LOADED WITH ONE IN THE CHAMBER and to always treat them as so until I myself, detach the mag, clear the chamber and leave/lock the slide open (if possible).

Having been taught that at a very young age, I never have worried about carrying anything loaded. EVER!! :rant:

For those whom are worried about carrying one in the pipe, do so at home in YOUR comfort zone until you get used to it. If you leave the house, practice a quick clearance drill to empty the chamber, reholster and be on your merry way. :lol:

The only time I leave a round in the chamber is if my pistol is going into my holster. Practice with an empty pistol at home a few thousand times with a quality holster until you are confident in yourself, weapon and holster. You may need your other arm to flip the bad guy off(joke) or protect yourself. Kudos to you for being safety conscious. Never stop worrying about an accidental discharge, train safely & then do it safely EVERY time. :rant:

I know where you are coming from. Every time I get a new handgun I get a little antsy about having an ND while drawing.

What I do, and what I suggest you give a try, is before you leave your house, practice holstering and drawing with none in the chamber until you feel comfortable. I always do this with a new handgun.

If you need to leave the house and you still aren't comfortable with one in the chamber, then use your revolver that you are comfortable with until you feel comfortable with the semi auto handgun.

Once you are comfortable with your new handgun, then carry it loaded. It takes too long to chamber a round when seconds count.

Tell him it can't fire unless the trigger is pulled, simple as that.

If he's pocket carrying, there are other things than a finger that could conceivably pull that trigger, so make sure he's using a pocket holster that covers the trigger.

- OS

+1 - I think that's what happened to Plaxico...no pocket holster.

yep, started with a glock 21sf after i got my permit and although i was a tad nervous, i carried with one chambered but was careful holstering and unholstering to avoid an AD with no safety.

I started with the G21SF, as well. I started the day when holstering saying, "Hail Mary, full of grace..." and if I thought my shirt snagged the trigger I immediately went, "OH HELL, MARY!" I'm of the school that an unloaded weapon is a non ergonomic club.

The single most important thing is finger/trigger control. If you are not 100% sure you can draw and re-holster the gun w/o touching the trigger then don't chamber a round until you are. Nothing wrong with keeping the chamber empty for awhile until you are comfortable. There is some good and bad advice in this thread. Do what you are comfortable with.

totally agree... this is the moment in time when the likelyhood of accidental discharge is highest...

i like the snap caps drill.

deliberately practice drawing and presenting the gun WITHOUT any trigger contact then reholster. When comfortable, advance to drawing, presenting, and pressing the trigger. take your time. with practice, it will become second nature, your finger will never enter the trigger guard until you are on target, but this takes practice. slow, smooth, deliberate. speed will come.

also practice reholsters w/ deliberate finger placement outside the trigger guard...

keep us posted

When I first started I was 11 years old and the H&R 922 had all nine chambers in the cylinder loaded with .22LR hollowpoints. (I was running a trap line for muskrats and the revolver was to dispatch nasty critters that got caught in the traps.) 922 did not have a transfer bar and had a hammer mounted firing pin. Properly carried in a holster with a strap over hammer, I never felt unsafe with it.

When I first started I was 11 years old and the H&R 922 had all nine chambers in the cylinder loaded with .22LR hollowpoints. (I was running a trap line for muskrats and the revolver was to dispatch nasty critters that got caught in the traps.) 922 did not have a transfer bar and had a hammer mounted firing pin. Properly carried in a holster with a strap over hammer, I never felt unsafe with it.

Ah, but you were totally safe carrying the 922 (I have one). It doesn't have a transfer bar, but the hammer cannot contact the cartridge until trigger is pulled, as there is an internal blocker down toward base of trigger that only lets the hammer go so far until trigger is pulled and depresses the release. See the secondary tiny "trigger" behind the main one? That has to be depressed for the hammer mounted firing pin to contact the shell.

HR-safe.jpg

HR.jpg

- OS

I never realized that! Mine had a 6" barrel and was very accurate. it was rugged beyond belief. I carried it in all kinds of Northern Ohio weather. I kept it clean and well oiled and never had a problem with it. My cousin inherited the gun when I left for service (it actually belonged to my grandfather) and his grandson is carrying it now! H&Rs weren't fancy guns but they were really fine working guns.

I never realized that! Mine had a 6" barrel and was very accurate. it was rugged beyond belief. I carried it in all kinds of Northern Ohio weather. I kept it clean and well oiled and never had a problem with it. My cousin inherited the gun when I left for service (it actually belonged to my grandfather) and his grandson is carrying it now! H&Rs weren't fancy guns but they were really fine working guns.

This one was my Dad's, he probably acquired it used somewhere along the line, has uber tacticool Uncle Mikes camo holster that fits it perfectly (4" barrel) ... I shoot it maybe once a month or so, has always been rock solid. It's pretty accurate too, but shoots a little high, so you have to drop the front sight down to the bottom of the front sight channel visually. I thought about grinding front sight down a tad, but just don't want to modify it.

From researching, seems this one was around 1958-60 best I remember.

I took my HCP class with it ... instructor came over as I was reloading (with cylinder out), said "you aren't planning on carrying that are you?"

I said, "sure, just look how quick I can reload it!" :)

- OS

Guest Muttling
Thanks for explaining that for Mr. Muttling, BigPoppa.

Dictionary.com and books like Webster's Dictionary say:

–noun 1.a short firearm intended to be held and fired with one hand.

I'm sorry you two don't agree with such reference material, but a revolver is a pistol and has been for the last few centuries.