When you were new

Craftypoppa

Ok I have a question. Where you were new to pistols did you start out carrying one in the chamber or did you wait till you were more comfortable and familiar with the gun. I carried a revolver for about 2 months 5 shoot fully loaded. I now have a Taurus PT 24/7 Pro C DS 40 cal. I carry full mag nothing in the chamber. I do this for two reasons. One is I think I am going to have to have rotator cuff surgery so mobility is limited now. Second is I am just now getting use to the gun. I have shot it a few times and getting more comfortable handling it.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am new but I carry with one in the chamber and have since the first day I got my permit. The time it would take to rack the slide could be the difference in a self defense situation. Lets say someone is standing 20 feet away with a knife and they run toward you. You will not have time to draw, rack the slide and get a shot off. He could be on you before the slide slams home.

Well I've been shooting all my life , I carry a TAURUS 24/7 OSS TACTICAL and it is full out . In my opinion you may not have time to rack the slide if something happens .I carry one in the chamber but i use the decock so the firing pin is not held back waiting for me to make a mistake . It really is what is comfortable to you . If it don't fill safe than don't do it . :drama:

crafty,

I agree w/the others...if the unthinkable happens, and you actually need the gun, there probably won't be time to chamber a round.

the 24/7 has a manual safety though, and is much safer to carry with a round chambered than some other designs... (cough...Glock...cough) :drama:

2 areas to pay special attention to:

1) make sure you are using a holster that completely covers the trigger-guard area.

2) use caution when holstering the gun, as this is one of the most likely times for an AD to occur. make sure the saftey is on...finger off trigger...and visually make sure no foreign materials (clothing, etc.) work their way into the trigger guard while you're holstering.

another tip is to spend some time carrying the gun unloaded while at home, as this will build your confidence/familiarity.

honestly, as long as you're careful and use proper procedure, there's nothing to be afraid of. the revolver you already carried was actually more likely to have an AD than the 24/7 anyway (no safety).

hope this helps...

A semi without one in the chamber is an unloaded gun. Go practice with your gun until you're comfortable, or perhaps consider a revolver?

I bet someone here lives close and would shoot with you! Heck, if you can get down to Cleveland, I'LL shoot with you!

As much as I hate to disagree with everyone else, I am going to. If it makes you feel more comfortable to carry without one in the chamber then do it. Its true that the 1-2 seconds it might take you to rack the slide could be the difference, but then again, if the choice is defending myself a second slower or not at all I know which I would choose. When I first started to carry I did it with the gun cocked but without one in the chamber. After a short while I was more used to the concept of carrying and not once did I check my gun to find the striker down. After that I went fully ready. Your the one who has to feel right about it, do what you want.

Catseye,

I strongly disagree. It's 1-2 seconds you might not have. It's amazing how fast a person can close from yards away. Look up Tueler drills for one illustration.

Add to that, multiple "what if's" like having the weak hand occupied, stress, etc, and it's poor practice. Know your weapon inside and out before you carry it.

From one Poppa to another:

A defensive carry handgun should be ready to be immediately deployed. With a pistol, that means a round should always be chambered.

Get some snap caps or dummy rounds, load your gun and chamber a round. Carry it around for a while around the safety of your house. See if, at any time, it "goes off". This will develop your confidence in the gun, and your handling of it.

If you're not comfortable with that, go back to your revolver. I would rather see you carry a revolver that you can immediately get running than a higher capacity pistol that you cannot.

Murders, rapes, carjackings, and assaults do not occur in a vacuum of perfect circumstances that will allow you sufficient time to draw from concealment, run the slide to chamber a round, and then address your threat.

Whichever route you go, remember what has already been mentioned in this regard....keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot and holster carefully. Doing these things consistently will all but eliminate any chance of a UD...even with a pistol that has a round in the pipe.

Work it out.........and best wishes on the surgery.

Guest louderthebetter

People carried revolvers for years before semi autos and scads of people still do.

Nothing wrong with a revolver if your comfortable with it.

After all,its point n shoot with a revolver.No slide to jack and no safety to click off.

Carry and shoot what works for you.

Guest clsutton21

My grandfather is afraid of carrying his post-recall LCP with one in the chamber. What should I tell him about a gun that has no decock or manual safety. I'm really afraid to tell him anything, then something happen. I'd feel guilty.

*Not trying to hi-jack, I figured it was close enough to the original topic.

The single most important thing is finger/trigger control. If you are not 100% sure you can draw and re-holster the gun w/o touching the trigger then don't chamber a round until you are. Nothing wrong with keeping the chamber empty for awhile until you are comfortable. There is some good and bad advice in this thread. Do what you are comfortable with.

My grandfather is afraid of carrying his post-recall LCP with one in the chamber. What should I tell him about a gun that has no decock or manual safety. I'm really afraid to tell him anything, then something happen. I'd feel guilty.

*Not trying to hi-jack, I figured it was close enough to the original topic.

Tell him it can't fire unless the trigger is pulled, simple as that.

If he's pocket carrying, there are other things than a finger that could conceivably pull that trigger, so make sure he's using a pocket holster that covers the trigger.

- OS

the 24/7 has a manual safety though, and is much safer to carry with a round chambered than some other designs... (cough...Glock...cough) ;)

(cough....Bull:poop:....cough) ;)

I carry/have carried since day 1, with one in the pipe as well. WITH NO EXTERNAL safety, and my XD's are JUST as safe as ANY other weapon. KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER AND USE A LITTLE EXTRA CAUTION IN REHOLSTERING, AMONG YOUR OTHER BASIC GUN SAFETY TECHNIQUES, and NO WORRIES.;)

BUT in the end, one Must carry in the manner that they are comfortable.

Guest Muttling

When I started, I did not carry with a round chambered and I think it's good for people to carry with what they're comfortable with.

That said, it won't be long before most people start carrying with a round in the chamber.

Guest TnDeerHunter

Get comfortable with your weapon (plenty of range time) then when you feel ready ask yourself if you want one in the pipe. With a good holster and plenty of practice I think you will answer your own question. Good luck

i like most was very nervous about carrying after receiving my permit. however, a buddy of mine told me if i didn't carry with one in the chamber, might as well not carry. i have always carried with one in the pipe, it doesn't bother me in the least, matter of fact, i don't feel right without my pistol on my person when i leave the house. it has become an accessory just like wallet & hanky. To quote many "another name for an unloaded gun is a paperweight", "if you are not going to carry loaded, learn to through the gun at your assailant", "what do you call an unloaded gun? ----Useless"