So I go to the La Vergne PD...

As a HCP holder I do not like it when anywhere posts. It does not matter if it is a "safe" place or not. It is another place telling me I can not carry.

Now here is my real problem with them posting. Look at it from the antis side. I can here them making this argument... Well hell, if the police don't trust hcp holders then why should we. If they have to post their office, why shouldn't all business be posted?

;)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

guys, I hate to even chime in but here it goes..... why is this all the sudden an issue?

If caught in the police dept. with the gun, your going to have a really, really, really bad day. If anyone wants to test my theory, go ahead and use that "open carry is better" idea thats popular around here while your at it.

If your so scared you have to have your gun on you for the what, 15 minutes it would take to get a police report... your not living right. You should also be too scared to fly, drive a car at night, or cross a street too.

Police Dept's are considered "secure" areas, most of the time your on camera and have to get buzzed in and out. The police Dept. is probably the last place your going to need your gun. I'd treat it like any other Govt. building and leave it in the car, get in and out and conclude your business as soon as possible.

If you cant do that, then send a family member or use the mail.

Very, very well said . . .

I'd never even heard of La Vergne till I joined this forum, but I see that along with its posted police dept it also has two other notable Wiki factoids:

- largest subdivision in TN

- largest trailer park in TN

Topic makes me think of tiny Norris, TN.

Police dept. is unposted, and since they manage the remote firing range, likely has the most armed citizenry coming and going of any PD in the US.

- OS

guys, I hate to even chime in but here it goes..... why is this all the sudden an issue?

If caught in the police dept. with the gun, your going to have a really, really, really bad day. If anyone wants to test my theory, go ahead and use that "open carry is better" idea thats popular around here while your at it.

If your so scared you have to have your gun on you for the what, 15 minutes it would take to get a police report... your not living right. You should also be too scared to fly, drive a car at night, or cross a street too.

Police Dept's are considered "secure" areas, most of the time your on camera and have to get buzzed in and out. The police Dept. is probably the last place your going to need your gun. I'd treat it like any other Govt. building and leave it in the car, get in and out and conclude your business as soon as possible.

If you cant do that, then send a family member or use the mail.

I really don't think the point is whether or not you would need a gun INSIDE the police station(although clearly officers think they do:p), it's getting to and from the station that is the issue, as someone else noted. Stations are frequently located in dangerous areas(it makes sense) and if you should have to walk to the station through said dangerous area, it might be nice to be able to do so without having to be completely vulnerable. I like the idea of gun lockers being made available for HCP holders that was mentioned by JayC.
So where's all the "If the sign ain't legal then carry anyway" folks, or the "I'd tell them immediately" folks? I don't understand?
We're all smart enough to know that the law will be on the law's side even if the law is breaking the law.;)
So where's all the "If the sign ain't legal then carry anyway" folks, or the "I'd tell them immediately" folks? I don't understand?

Falls under the "you could tell your wife that her ass looks big in those jeans, and you have every right too, but some things just aint smart to do!"

Guest TurboniumOxide
Should've just banged on their front door or window with the gun and shouted "Can I bring this in there? Your sign isn't worded properly!" and reported back to us on it. :)

;)

ROFL. Make sure to have a you-tuber there with their cell phone camera. I want to see what happens.

I really don't think the point is whether or not you would need a gun INSIDE the police station(although clearly officers think they do:p), it's getting to and from the station that is the issue, as someone else noted. Stations are frequently located in dangerous areas(it makes sense) and if you should have to walk to the station through said dangerous area, it might be nice to be able to do so without having to be completely vulnerable. I like the idea of gun lockers being made available for HCP holders that was mentioned by JayC.

to and from? Well I guess if your walking 5 miles to the station you have a point. If not, most of us would be parking in the parking lot with all the Crown Vic's, and Chargers with the pretty blue lights on top of them. In that case I still dont see the need to carry thru the parking lot, I'll leave it in the car.

Btw, no one really thinks the police Dept's are going to go to the expense of installing gun lockers for HCP holders... or do you?

;)

to and from? Well I guess if your walking 5 miles to the station you have a point. If not, most of us would be parking in the parking lot with all the Crown Vic's, and Chargers with the pretty blue lights on top of them. In that case I still dont see the need to carry thru the parking lot, I'll leave it in the car.

Btw, no one really thinks the police Dept's are going to go to the expense of installing gun lockers for HCP holders... or do you?

;)

Assuming that everyone who ever needs to go to the police station has a car or cab fare, then fine. But what if you live in the "hood" and have to walk 5 blocks to the station(not talking about La Vergne, I have no idea what kind of city it is)? And no, I don't believe for a second that any government agency will ever spend any of OUR money to make things more convenient for the HCP holders who help pay the taxes that pay their salaries.:)

To answer the OP...No, I wouldn't carry in there, even with the sign the way it is. For various reasons...

However I am a bit surprised at so many post basically saying it is ok the PD has posted.....well...then again, I'm not as surprised as just disappointed. Some basically saying, just get over it...

First I hate it when any place post....but as private property, the owner does have some rights...although the government has restricted his rights on other matters.

But a PD is a part of the government, which is supposed to be "of the people". IMHO if the government has allowed us to carry, they shoudn't restrict in their places without some good reason.

One last thing though, if the PD is going to post...how hard is it for those that enforce the law, to follow the law and post a more properly worded sign?

I swear in some threads here lately....I think I'm surfing some Brady Bunch website or something.

To answer the OP...No, I wouldn't carry in there, even with the sign the way it is. For various reasons...

However I am a bit surprised at so many post basically saying it is ok the PD has posted.....well...then again, I'm not as surprised as just disappointed. Some basically saying, just get over it...

First I hate it when any place post....but as private property, the owner does have some rights...although the government has restricted his rights on other matters.

But a PD is a part of the government, which is supposed to be "of the people". IMHO if the government has allowed us to carry, they shoudn't restrict in their places without some good reason.

One last thing though, if the PD is going to post...how hard is it for those that enforce the law, to follow the law and post a more properly worded sign?

I swear in some threads here lately....I think I'm surfing some Brady Bunch website or something. [/QUOTE]

;)

I disagree, I do work in 3 Pd departments,

1 Athens City (posted, legally), and I have carried there, emergency service call, walked in the door, handed my gun to the Captain and did my stuff, picked up my gun and left.

2 McMinn County Sheriff's dept. No signs, Sheriff Frisbee's policy is as long as you are not working in the inmate area he is fine with it, and they do have lockers, not sure if you could use one but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

3 Meigs County Sheriff's dept. no signs, and no problem carrying, except for the time of day when the inmates are being moved in and out of the building.

:cool:

No bu tit would be a happy thought that if a business posts they should be required to provide lockers.

As a HCP holder I do not like it when anywhere posts. It does not matter if it is a "safe" place or not. It is another place telling me I can not carry./QUOTE]

+1000

The B*%CH of it all is that its being told you Can't carry, and knowing in the back of your head, that YOU are paying their bills/salaries!! Wonderful being a TAXPAYER!!:D

Guest dizzielizzie

Which "police station" in LaVerne are you talking about? The real one, or the single wide trailer that sits in the middle of the big rat maze housing development, that has been broken into several times, and every time I visit my friend there's no one there or the front door is sitting wide open?

:D

I swear in some threads here lately....I think I'm surfing some Brady Bunch website or something.

Touché.

QFT. I'm feeling repentant.

1 Athens City (posted, legally), and I have carried there, emergency service call, walked in the door, handed my gun to the Captain and did my stuff, picked up my gun and left.

2 McMinn County Sheriff's dept. No signs, Sheriff Frisbee's policy is as long as you are not working in the inmate area he is fine with it, and they do have lockers, not sure if you could use one but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

3 Meigs County Sheriff's dept. no signs, and no problem carrying, except for the time of day when the inmates are being moved in and out of the building.

No bu tit would be a happy thought that if a business posts they should be required to provide lockers.

agreed, its the difference in the part of the state were refering to. I worked for several rural county dept's over the years and they are laid back, these urban Dept's however arent. If they post, and you choose to ignore it and carry, your up a creek.

Which "police station" in LaVerne are you talking about? The real one, or the single wide trailer that sits in the middle of the big rat maze housing development, that has been broken into several times, and every time I visit my friend there's no one there or the front door is sitting wide open?

The "real" one: City Hall and Police Department.

Guest Muttling

They keep stealing the toilet seats, leaving the investigators with nothing to go on.

But you are a known face in each of these places. I used to enter restricted areas freely too, where others walking in would have had alarms going off all over the place. It does help to be known and to be needed.:cool: I would guess that they are glad to see you.

If someone does not want me carrying I won't carry in their place, that simple.

oldogy