So I go to the La Vergne PD...

...to get a copy of the report on my hit-and-run accident from last week, and every door of the City Hall and Police Department are posted: "Firearms Prohibited to include persons with concealed handgun carry permits"

This certainly doesn't comply with legal signage requirements, so how many of you think that sign should be ignored?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm seriously asking all the "If the sign ain't legal then I'm ignoring it" people, and those who like to point out such distinctions to business owners who have posted improperly.

I'm assuming you are asking in jest, as the potential for trouble is far greater at the PD than elsewhere.

Not to mention the fact that the PD is one of the few places where you might actually be able to rely on the police to protect you should some crazed gunman burst into the place...

(that's not a slight on police, simply a point that a building full of police officers is far more likely to be able to instantly respond than some random office or store)

Guest Matchguy

If they have ANY kind of a sign up prohibiting firearms, they are NOT expecting any LAWFULLY armed persons to come in, and you will therefore scare the living hell out of somebody by doing so, causing great fear and trepidation......and I've always said that fear and guns don't mix. So if you're afraid of getting on somebody's fecal roster, give the editor of your local paper a call and tell him about it, or write an anonymous letter to your City Councilman or the City Manager.

The PD has to live by the same rules everybody else does and my former employer would have a legally correct sign up as soon as he found out the old one was improper, and without prejudice to anyone. But smartasses are a dime a dozen in police work and, like the other gents have said and you've already suspected, it doesn't pay to be considered one by Bad Bad Leroy Brown. So write a polite letter as described above.

MG

Edited by Matchguy
Guest Matchguy
Should've just banged on their front door or window with the gun and shouted "Can I bring this in there? Your sign isn't worded properly!" and reported back to us on it. :blink:

I love it. Sorta like the guy who kept the grenade and threw the pin. :blink:

MG

Makes you wonder just how knowledgeable they are on this and other laws. I would have no problem pointing their problem of incorrect posting to them, in a respectful way of course. I would make certain I was speaking with seasoned LEO, someone other than a rookie or clerk when I pointed out their error. Naaaaaa, I would not carry in there.

oldogy

Guest Todd@CIS
I would have no problem pointing their problem of incorrect posting to them, in a respectful way of course.

oldogy

And I absolutely wouldn't have a problem with you doing it if it was my PD (LaVergne is not).

The last part of your sentence is key, though (and not because you're at a police dept, but because it's just good manners).

Attitude goes a long way...this is not a "cop" thing, this is a "life" thing.

Just think of your dealings with folks throughout your day.

BTW, the average cop in the building couldn't care any less about that sign.

Edited by Todd@CIS
Isn't a PD considered a gov building anyway?

It is, but it's not a special building prohibited by law. They are choosing to post not doing so because it's the law.

I'd cal the Chief and ask him how you can get service from your local police department without having to go unarmed to and from the station. Ask them if they're willing to provide a gun locker to law abiding citizens who happen to carry under state law.

Also writing the local paper would be a good idea as well.

guys, I hate to even chime in but here it goes..... why is this all the sudden an issue?

If caught in the police dept. with the gun, your going to have a really, really, really bad day. If anyone wants to test my theory, go ahead and use that "open carry is better" idea thats popular around here while your at it.

If your so scared you have to have your gun on you for the what, 15 minutes it would take to get a police report... your not living right. You should also be too scared to fly, drive a car at night, or cross a street too.

Police Dept's are considered "secure" areas, most of the time your on camera and have to get buzzed in and out. The police Dept. is probably the last place your going to need your gun. I'd treat it like any other Govt. building and leave it in the car, get in and out and conclude your business as soon as possible.

If you cant do that, then send a family member or use the mail.