Snap vs. Push

Guest jps37033

Guest jps37033

I am struggling to want a .45 - I have shot a 9mm, .40, and .45. The 9mm (full size hi-power and a ruger full size p series) was snappier than a .40, and the .45 (a taurus pt145 and a full size taurus 24/7) just kicked like a mule with no control. I have shot a glock .40, ruger p94 .40, and just feel the .40 is more managable. Am I shooting the wrong .45's? Everyone I talk to says a .45 is easier to shoot than a .40 and a 9mm is way easier. Is it just me or the guns i am shooting?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Matchguy

I respectfully disagree that a .45 is easier to shoot than a .40 when it comes to recoil, so I stick with the .40. Just remember, shootability is everything and if you can't get comfortable with a .45, then don't buy one....Snob appeal doesn't win gunfights. Good shooting does. So buy something you "shoot good." Take a look at the CZ 75B .40. It's a real sweetheart and is all steel with superior ergonomics for a very reasonable price.

MG

Later note: I have thin, bony hands.

Edited by Matchguy
Guest Bronker
I am struggling to want a .45 - I have shot a 9mm, .40, and .45. The 9mm (full size hi-power and a ruger full size p series) was snappier than a .40, and the .45 (a taurus pt145 and a full size taurus 24/7) just kicked like a mule with no control. I have shot a glock .40, ruger p94 .40, and just feel the .40 is more managable. Am I shooting the wrong .45's? Everyone I talk to says a .45 is easier to shoot than a .40 and a 9mm is way easier. Is it just me or the guns i am shooting?

That's certainly not my experience.

I've never owned a 9mm, but can attest that between my XD 40 subcompact and my XD 45 Service, I'd rather shoot the 45ACP all day long.

Your title description was pretty accurate, though. My 40 seems to 'slap' where my 45 seems to shove.

Either way, the recoil for me has never been a real problem regardless. I have big bearpaw hands!:D

The reason you are getting those results are mainly due to the guns you are shooting. the Hi-Power is a snappier gun by design IMHO. it is very light up front making it more prone to muzzle rise if held improperly. I don't play much with Taurus, glock and rugers are designed with a tad bit better recoil springs. if you go and shoot the same calibers through the same gun designs then you'd notice the difference. they are all manageble.

Guest jps37033
My wife and my 12yr old daughter both handle my .45ACP handguns with ease. Both of them are petite. Maybe you're just having the wrong people shoot the guns for you. :D

Ha HA! - Nice slap in the Gonads!

Just kidding - I did not say the .45 is not managable or I cant shoot it, just that I feel it kicks more than a .40.....

Guest jps37033
The reason you are getting those results are mainly due to the guns you are shooting. the Hi-Power is a snappier gun by design IMHO. it is very light up front making it more prone to muzzle rise if held improperly. I don't play much with Taurus, glock and rugers are designed with a tad bit better recoil springs. if you go and shoot the same calibers through the same gun designs then you'd notice the difference. they are all manageble.

Thanks - I will try that at The Great Outdoor Store.

• Administrator
Ha HA! - Nice slap in the Gonads!

Just kidding - I did not say the .45 is not managable or I cant shoot it, just that I feel it kicks more than a .40.....

What model .45 are you shooting? My 1911s are all super manageable and give a lot less recoil than my .40SW handguns. My HK45 is even more of a creampuff to shoot because of the polymer frame and compound recoil spring assembly.

Guest jps37033
What model .45 are you shooting? My 1911s are all super manageable and give a lot less recoil than my .40SW handguns. My HK45 is even more of a creampuff to shoot because of the polymer frame and compound recoil spring assembly.

I have shot a Taurus pt 24/7 .45 and a Taurus pt145. That is the only .45's I have shot.

Guest jps37033

Let me shine a small light on what I think might be the issue....

I have smaller hands. Could the push of the .45 be less managable than the snap of a .40 if you have smaller hands?

When I shot the full sized taurus .45, it kicked so hard that I couldnt get back on target if I had to. It felt as if I would have to take time to realign every sight pic after a shot. Every .40 I have shot snapped real good, but was right back on target in a split second. Maybe I just prefer the snap vs. the push????

Such things usually depend more on the guns themselves than the caliber... but properly built .45s do tend to have heavier slides and soak up the lower-pressure push of the large slug with less violence than a lighter slide does with a high pressure .40 round... but firing a .40 1911 next to a .45 1911 both using 180-185gr bullets will truly tell the tale, and they are almost identical in my experience.

I know with my own guns that my huge FNP-45 (slide itself weighs almost 2lb), is a creampuff to shoot, even with +p cartridges... while the Glock or Springfield 9mm are more snappy, and the 9mm j-frame revolver is almost painful (seriously, +p+ loads are akin to lighting off stout .357mags).

In your situation though... poly-framed Taurus .45s don't have great recoil characteristics. I once owned a PT-145 myself, and it did not have a good slide-weight/recoil-spring balance... which did make it pretty snappy combined with the sucky trigger, and it was not a precision instrument at all.

Try a 1911 in .45acp (or any caliber)... you'll get hooked.

I shot a 9mm Colt Combat Commander and a 45ACP Springfield Mil-Spec on Monday. They are both 1911's and almost the same size and weight. The 45 has more recoil. But if you have a good stance and grip they are both pleasant to shoot. Research some combat stances and how to grip your pistol. Dry firing at home daily will help alot. Remember to be safe. Then check to be sure you remembered. Some homework now will save you alot of wasted time and ammo. I spent about 2 years of being frustrated until I bought a gun magazine in which Massad Ayoob explained the Israeli Combat Stance. Not sure if that is the name but it was similar to a football ready stance that I had practiced for years. I believe there is also professional training available in this very forum.

When I shot the full sized taurus .45, it kicked so hard that I couldnt get back on target if I had to. It felt as if I would have to take time to realign every sight pic after a shot. Every .40 I have shot snapped real good, but was right back on target in a split second....

what kind of ammo were you shooting?? it makes a pretty big difference...

a blazin' hot 230 gr .45 is gonna kick more... a milder 185 gr .45 is gonna be almost indistinguishable from the .40, if not even sweeter...

I'm a fan of both the .45 & the .40.... both good choices IMO. shoot the one you're more comfortable with. try a Sig in .40...it'll make you like it even more. :bowrofl:

Try a 1911 in .45acp (or any caliber)... you'll get hooked.

+1. I did, and now I'm stuck saving up for one...(or 3). ;)

Guest canynracer

Shooting a subcompact 45 is much different than shooting a full size...I would suggest renting at your local gun range...shoot several of each caliber. The 1911's are great, and shoot well...they are also pretty easy to carry if you have the right holster.

Guest logicprevails

I have a Glock 22 (.40 cal - 4.49" barrel), a Taurus PT145 (1st Gen .45 - 3.27" barrel) and a Para LDA CCO (.45 - 3.5" barrel). The Glock has the least manageable recoil with full power loads, the PT145 has fairly manageable recoil, and the LDA has very manageable recoil. With full power 185 grain defense loads I can be very effective with the Mozambique drill with the LDA, almost intuitively accurate. With the PT145, the Mozambique drill is still fairly easy to be accurate with. With the Glock, the Mozambique drill bounces all over the sight picture and I have to slow down considerably for reasonable accuracy. The slow moving push of the .45 likely has more controlability than the snap of the .40. Longer barrel may also come into play in conjunction with the higher pressure .40 load. The Glock trigger is the 5.5 lb, the PT145 is actually pretty darn good as Milleniums go and, of course, the LDA is crisp and sweet. The LDA is heavier and all stainless, while the other 2 are tupperware; and the grip angles likely contribute as well (the Glock being raked rearward a bit more than the other two). Combining all factors, it's evident that J. M. Browning was one visionary mofo.

weird... I find 9mm and .45acp to have a similar kind of push, albeit .45 being much stronger.

I find that I'm not a fan of the .40's snap/torque and find it the least manageable of the 3. That said, bet a lot of the difference you're feeling is just coming from how the different guns feel.

My 1911 is more controllable than the G23 and G22 I've shot quite a bit. The .45 in a 1911 makes the recoil "roll back" in my opinion, where as the .40's I've shot do "snap" as the OP mentioned.

My 9mm P6 is pretty tame, as well as my G19.

I personally like .45 over .40

my $.02

Guest Rugerman

I also will be in the camp of it depends on the gun you are shooting as well. I think a polymer subcompact .40 has a lot more snap, push, whatever than a fullsize 1911 .45.

Make sure your shooting hand is on the grip very high and tight with small hands. I have small hands as well, and have found that making sure the beavertail is very snug into the webbing between thumb and forefinger allows the bigger muscles in my thumb and forearm to resist muzzle flip. In addition, this gets your entire hand closer to the barrel, which provides a shorter lever for the gun to rotate against. As we all know, shorter lever = less force applied.

If you've been shooting in a stance similar to Isosceles (arms equal length, gun in center of body), try a Weaver or similar, where your dominant arm is extended. Isosceles forces the wrists to absorb all of the energy in the muzzle flip. If your dominant arm is extended, you also bring your elbow and shoulder into play. Combined with good "balls of the feet" forward weight position, this should help to tame some recoil.

Another alternative: get a grip strengthener like guitar players use for finger strength. Stronger 3rd and 4th fingers might help - I've been playing guitar and hockey (another wrist and finger-intensive activity) for 15 years, and haven't found a pistol I haven't enjoyed shooting, despite my small hands.

Good Luck!

Different guns snap or push vs. other guns. Sub compact vs. compact vs. Full size vs. Stainless .vs polymer .vs bullet wt. and grain vs. maker of said firearm (different companies making 1911's).....etc, etc.

Waaay to many factors to actually say for sure on what is snappier or pushier.......