a little tgo help on browning 9mm

Guest jwcont1

Guest jwcont1

first off thanks to all , this is a killer site,with so much knowledge.

i have browning 9mm, made in begium with 2 mags

i bought 6 or 7 years ago,just because it was a browning

it has some wear on right side but looks good other than that

can anyone tell me the years made, and around it's vaule,as i my part with it

thanks again for your help

here are 2 picsIMG00264.jpgIMG00266.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Matchguy

Hi JW,

Your Browning's year of manufacture is contained in a letter code in the middle of the serial number. I have one just like yours and my serial number is 245NYXXXXX, and the N stands for 7 and the Y stands for 9, so it was made in 1979. The date codes, per Browning Customer Service website are:

Z-1

Y-2

X-3

W-4

V-5

T-6

R-7

P-8

N-9

M-0

The 245 in the beginning of my serial number identifies it as a 9mm, while a first three characters of 2W5 would identify it as a .40 caliber. This system of designating caliber in the serial number lasted from 1975 to 1998, when it was replaced by a single number "510" which just id'ed it as a Hi Power.

The value will depend on its condition, but Hi Powers are selling for a premium right now and I wouldn't part with it without an appraisal by a professional appraiser. Having spent a lot of time on Gunbroker.com lately it seems to me that it's hard to find one for under $600, and that's for one in pretty doggone worn condition. One like yours in like new condition on Gunbroker.com would bring as much as $800 or more. So like I said, get it appraised before you let it go. Hope this helps.

MG

Guest Matchguy

Hey Hex,

Just for the good of the discussion and to help JW a little more.......I just paid $760 for one identical to his but in brand new condition. His and mine are earlier models than yours. We have the beercan rear sight, soldered front sight, and itty-bitty single side safety lever. Yours has the improved rear sight, dovetailed front sight (I believe) and big ambi safety levers. But anyway, that's for us purists....we can give him a place to start looking, price-wise with all of our palaver, and from all I've seen I agree with your price information.

And by the way, I finally found the link to the page telling you how to read your serial number for date of manufacture. It is: http://freespace.virgin.net/tony.crowe/How%20to%20read%20your.html

Jer

Edited by Matchguy