Bowhunting

Guest Rem_700

Guest Rem_700

How many does not bowhunt? Just ML and Gun hunts? I never was a bowhunter,never shot one till last year,I bought one so I could have extra time in the deer woods,and I actually killed a deer last year with it,but the reason i never bowhunted was because I alwasy thought it was unethical.Thought to many deers ran off and died from poor shots or just running to far to be tracked.With this thought in the back of my mind,I kept bowhunting.Last year (first year bowhunting) was great.This year not so great,I have lost 2 deer in 1 week..1 deer was a bad shot,I admit,but this second deer was a perfect broadside shot and I could not find her to save my life.I just can't accept the fact that the chance of loseing a deer is part of bowhunting,and if you say that its not or you have never lost one,then you are either a liar or not been bowhunting very long,I have learned this in 2 years of bowhunting..Doesn't take long to figure it out. So I am giving it up, selling all my bowhunting equipment.

I believe that more deer are shot and run off than people lets on,because I was reluctant to tell anyone of my mishaps! But i did,and im through with bowhunting.And its not because of lack of practice or poor equipment,I have over $600 tied up in my bowhunting gear,and i can cut the vanes off at 40 yds pretty regularly..I just don't get it,so im going back to ML and gun hutning.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TnDeerHunter

I've bowhunted for many years and in all that time I've not been able to find 1 deer. The biggest mistake in bowhunting is not waiting long enough before you start tracking. We usually wait anywhere from 1 to 2 hours before we start. Not saying that's the proper time period but it does seem to work for us we just wait and give them time to lay down.

Don't give up just yet. What are the circumstances of the lost deer? No blood trail? Blood trail stopping and starting? How did you search for the blood trail? The best way is to find approximately where you shot the deer, and start walking in ever expanding circles. If it's a scant blood trail, start walking those circles where you last found blood. Make sure you carry a black light flashlight for low light situations, it makes life a lot easier when it comes to spotting blood. It's a tedious process, but it makes the hunt even more rewarding. I'll admit, I've lost deer, but it was usually my fault due to inexperience, although sometimes It doesn't matter if you have 100 years of experience, you'll go home empty handed.

Edited by Good_Steward

Unless you're that disheartened stick it out. That's alot of money in equiptment to give up. Anybody that has any respect for hunting and the game they are after feels bad when they lose an animal. For some it stays with them for awhile and if you say you lost two this year I can see why you feel so bad.

Hang in there and get one with rifle or ML and you'll feel better.

Guest TnDeerHunter

Rethink your steps when you lost your deer then ask yourself what you could have done different. Tracking a wounded deer can be very tricky, don't be shy about asking questions from your many friends all of us have felt the same way you do now. Don't throw in the towel just yet let us help if we can.

Guest Rem_700

I honestly don't know what I could have done different..It was a 23 yd broadside shot, put it a few inches behind the front shoulder.As she was running away,I could see the spot where the arrow went in at.I was so excited.I sat there 30 mins,then I climbed down and started tracking.My arrow was soaked in bright red blood,practically dripping off of it.I found the blood trail and started trailing,it wasn't a big one,but enough to track with..Tracked her for about 50yds and it just stoped as she crossed an old logging road.I left it,came back the next morning,never found anymore blood,and so i started doing circles.Looked for 3 hours,never her or another peice of sign from her.

If it would have been a bad hit,I could understand it,but I thought it was a perfect hit.I just have no confidence in my Bow to pull back and shoot another deer.

Guest TnDeerHunter

I shot a buck Sat. morning mad a good hit, I left the trail for a good hour. Myself and my hunting buddies started trailing blood we had a great trail for about 50 yards then we spent the next 3 hours going from drop to drop. The buck only traveled about 100 yards or so but kept switching back and forth on the ridge. When we did find him I found out I had lung shot him and he bleed out internally. If I had been by myself I would have most likely not found him. It's just not all that easy