Wal-Mart

Guest tatts

I was in Wal-Mart the other day and I was carrying. I had my OWB and had my leather vest pulled over my weapon. If you really looked you could see that the barrel of my 9mm was exposed (my vest did not totaly cover it). I was walking in front of a local uniformed LEO and my son had whispered to me that he slowed down and looked at my weapon. I thought for sure he would stop me. However, he just picked up the pace and walked right on by he looked me in the eye as he passed me, we both smiled and he went on his way. I was suprised that he didnt check my permit. I always thought that if a LEO saw me walking with a firearm on my side they would surely stop and question me if just because of my apperance. I ride a Harley and I am always dressed like a biker and even have my arms sleeved in tattoos. But this LEO just kept going like it was no big deal. I guess he just thought that if I was that open, I MUST have a permit...I guess what I got out of this is that if you are OCing, and acting appropreatly and respectfully most LEO's will just leave you alone. I do useually carry concealed but I was in a hurry and just threw my vest on.

Edited by tatts
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hi im drummer03

Yeh most of the time they wont say anything.Especially if your Ocing and not really concerned about it.Now if u ran into a store making a scene that would be different...

Guest louderthebetter

And here I thought you were wearing a vest covering your gun and had to look hard to see it.After all,he may have been giving you the once over for other reasons.

Could it have been the tattoos and biker look that got his attention ?

You may have gotten that look even if you were not packing.I know because I've

gotten it myself.

I ride a bike and if I could cash in all my tatts.,I could buy a couple of new Wilsons

and maybe a Colt too.

Ride safe.

Guest RugerFan7

I had a similar experience. I was OCing when I went to a pawn shop on Charlotte. I had it slightly hidden by my jacket but you could still see it. Two cops were talking to the clerk while I was looking at the rifles in the store. My wife said that both of them saw it and were looking at me but neither one of them said anything or asked me about having a permit. I just assumed that they were off duty.

I've encountered many folks in various places, both while I was on and off duty. I could tell they were carrying, one guy even had two guns.

I've never stopped anyone just to check a HCL. Its kinda analogous to a driver driving down the road, I see him. Its not against the law to drive down the road, its against the law to drive down the road w/o a license. But I still need reasonable suspicion to stop the driver to check to see if he has a license.

Its not against the law to carry a gun... its against the law to carry w/o a license, absent reasonable suspicion you are either about to, have or will commit a crime I'm not bugging you just to watch you fiddle around with your wallet then be pi$$ed at me the rest of your life...

Edited by TMMT

"Stuck in a waistband is just asking to get stopped though."

Having a firearm stuck in a waistband is just asking for it to go off... :devil:

LEO is limited by law on stopping people. Is an OC hitting the limit? Thankfully, it seems, it does not.

"Stuck in a waistband is just asking to get stopped though."

Having a firearm stuck in a waistband is just asking for it to go off... :devil:

LEO is limited by law on stopping people. Is an OC hitting the limit? Thankfully, it seems, it does not.

IANALEO but if a LEO sees the weapon, they have every right to stop and question you due to that it is illegal to carry a weapon in Tennessee unless you have a permit. So you are basically illegal, until you prove otherwise, ie permit.:D

Guest jackdm3

"it is illegal to carry a weapon in Tennessee unless you have a permit. So you are basically illegal, until you prove otherwise, ie permit"

I understand that it's illegal to CC without permit, but are we an open carry state without permit? Doesn't matter to me, as I don't OC.

"it is illegal to carry a weapon in Tennessee unless you have a permit. So you are basically illegal, until you prove otherwise, ie permit"

I understand that it's illegal to CC without permit, but are we an open carry state without permit? Doesn't matter to me, as I don't OC.

NOPE. You can not carry period, with the exception of your own private property, home or business, open or concealed, without a permit in the State of Tennessee.

You can not have a loaded handgun in your car, if you don't have a permit as well.

Edited by db99wj
Guest Revelator

No. It's by your location, not whether you're carrying open or concealed. About the only places most folks can carry a handgun without permit are their home and place of business, and during certain outdoor activities.

No. It's by your location, not whether you're carrying open or concealed. About the only places most folks can carry a handgun without permit are their home and place of business, and during certain outdoor activities.

I guess you could add certain businesses, like a range....I added work to my above statement due to leaving it out.

Guest clownsdd
IANALEO but if a LEO sees the weapon, they have every right to stop and question you due to that it is illegal to carry a weapon in Tennessee unless you have a permit. So you are basically illegal, until you prove otherwise, ie permit.:P

So what you are saying is guilty until proven innocent?

So what you are saying is guilty until proven innocent?

Again, not a leo or lawyer, but I believe it falls under probable cause, possibly reasonable search due to that probable cause, and even officer safety until the officer can determine what is going on. You can be a suspect without being charged or convicted. You can be a suspect in an investigation, without being charged, and until you prove that you have a reason, an alibi or in this type of case a permit to carry a loaded firearm, you can be detained and questioned. So no, not guilty until proven innocent, this is a field investigation of sorts, not a court of law.