Obama Wins Nobel Peace Prize?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tnpanscraper
All you have to do is hate America and you're automatically nominated. Gore and Obama are cut from the same cloth.

Gore invented the internet. Remember. Surely that deserves a prize.... Obama didn't invent the idiot, but he sure perfected it....

They're both fuzznuckles...

Guest dkirby

In my youth I always figured the Nobel Prize was given for making an actual contribution. The President was given the award for wanting peace. I wanted an extra few minutes sleep this morning, am I nominated for next year?

Guest tnvolfan

This is a little of what I have learned from my internet searches:

FROM REUTERS NEWS SERVICE:

Wanted - a peace maker or rights activist engaged in a current conflict whose influence would benefit greatly from winning the Nobel Peace Prize.

That is who Norway's Nobel Committee will choose for 2009 Peace Prize.

"It's quite likely this committee will reward somebody who is engaged in current processes," said Kristian Berg Harpviken, head of the International Peace Institute in Oslo (PRIO).

"They want the prize to have an impact on things that are about to happen and want to affect events," he told Reuters.

FROM "TO THE CENTER.COM:"

Obama won because of “his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples,” the Norwegian Nobel Committee said.

Obama was nominated for the grand award less than two weeks into his presidency and just meeting the Feb. 1 deadline. At this time, there are no media reports as to who nominated the president.

Obama is the third-sitting U.S. president to win the award. Woodrow Wilson won in 1919, and Theodore Roosevelt won in 1906.

These are some of the previous winners of the Nobel Peace Prize:

Albert Schweitzer (1952)

Martin Luther King (1964)

Henry Kissinger (1973)

Albert Gore Jr. (2007)

Nelson Mandela (1993)

Mikhail Gorbachev (1990)

Dalai Lama (1989)

Desmond Tutu (1984)

Lech Walesa (1983)

Mother Teresa (1979)

Anwar Sadat & Menachem Begin (1978)

Yasser Arafat, Shimon Peres, Yitzhak Rabin (1994)

Jimmy Carter (2002)

Andrei Sakharov (1975)

Elie Wiesel (1986)

and now . . . . Barack Obama (2009)

except for Yasser Arafat, who was a murderer,

what is wrong with this picture??? :D WHAT IS YOUR OPINION???

Edited by tnvolfan
Guest tnpanscraper
The Nobel Peace Prize nomination deadline was January 31, 2009. Based on that fact, Obama had only been in office for 11 days. I'm sure that his accomplishments in these 11 days were so overwhelming that he was the clear winner.

I think you meant to say the he was clearly the "weiner".(as in Oscar Mayer)

big_weiner_with_bow_1.jpg

What in the world is going on? He was nominated in Feb, shortly after he was elected. :lol:

It's not just conservatives who are scratching their heads over this. A friend of mine who is a big Obama fan, and actually finds him to be a bit too centrist for his taste (good guy, good friend, but we disagree on a few topics ...) said "I heard about this when i woke up and thought it must be an Onion headline."