Lets Play the "What is it Game?"

Verne

I have this very nice Mauser Action 22 rifle that I can find nothing on. I have googled and Gunbrokered every word on it. All I know of it is my dad got it back in the 80's and (If memory still works right) it was suppose to be a German 22 Sniper training rifle. That is unconfirmed though.

So here I am to enlist the aid of the TGO clan to help me identify this. It has to be the best shooting, most accurate 22 I have ever laid my hands on. We hardly shoot it though. Too many other to shoot.

So what is it?

IMG_1344.jpg

IMG_1345.jpg

IMG_1346.jpg

IMG_1347.jpg

GermanTrainer.jpg

GermanTrainer2.jpg

IMG_1348.jpg

IMG_1355.jpg

IMG_1356.jpg

So there it is. Are my search skill that bad I have missed something? And to go ahead and get it out of the way I'm not looking to sell it. Just wanting to find out more info on it. I'm updating all my gun info and don't have anything but a serial number on this one.

Thanks,

Verne

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bolt action rifle is German, made by the Gustloff Arms Works in Suhl, probably in the 1930's, as a training rifle, hence its sights and other features resembling those of the Modell 98 military rifle. "Kleinkaliber (KK) Wehrsportgewehr" means "Small bore (.22) Defense and Sport Rifle." ".22 Lang fur Buchsen" simply means ".22 Long Rifle." The Gustloff factory was originally Simpson & Co., but the Simpsons were Jews and the Nazi government took over the factory and named it for Wilhelm Gustloff, the Swiss Nazi leader who had been assassinated. (A ship also named for him was sunk by the Russians late in WWII, with a loss of some 10,000 lives, the greatest marine loss in history.)

See this thread: Need identification help on a pair of .22 rifles. - THR

Guest SUNTZU

It looks like a new stock on an old action, IMO. I've found several K-98 trainer references to that rifle but they all have a different stock. Apparently, from what I've read, the Gustloff Werks used to the be Simpson company, who were Jews, and the Nazi's didn't like that, so out they went and it came under new management. That stock looks brand new and doesn't have the cutouts for the sling and beat all to hell look, either.

GunBroker.com Message Forums

Need identification help on a pair of .22 rifles. [Archive] - THR

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports: German .22 cal. Rifle, suhler waffen, marksmanship training

That's the info I found.

Thanks guys.

After looking over everything posted I now know it is a 22 trainer that someone put some TLC into. Looking at other trainers it appears this one was hardly used to begin with. I imagine it has been reblued and really have no clue about the stock but it is nice.

Next chance I get to get out and shoot I will be taking it.