As a civilian, can I carry an asp / expandable baton?

Guest pws_smokeyjones

Guest pws_smokeyjones

title pretty much says it all. I am curious what the requirements are for a civilian in TN to carry an asp / expandable baton for self defense. anybody know? I have tried looking through the code but can't put my finger on anything solid.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SUNTZU

Mine reads:

This is to certify that SUNTZU has successfully completed the course requirements for PPCT Impact Weapon/ Collapsible Baton Basic Certification

The back of the card has TCA 12-17-1308 which states:

(a) It is a defense to the application of § 39-17-1307 if the possession or carrying was:

(9) By any person possessing a club or baton who holds a certificate that the person has had training in the use of a club or baton for self-defense that is valid and issued by a certified person authorized to give training in the use of clubs or batons, and is not prohibited from purchasing a firearm under any local, state or federal laws.

An instructor certified by a recognized authority such as PPCT, Manadnock, and ASP among others, teaching an industry regulated class can issue certificates that satisfy this requirement.

More here:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/authorized-vendors/15570-ppct-expandable-baton-training-certified-carry.html

Mine reads:

This is to certify that SUNTZU has successfully completed the course requirements for PPCT Impact Weapon/ Collapsible Baton Basic Certification

The back of the card has TCA 12-17-1308 which states:

(a) It is a defense to the application of § 39-17-1307 if the possession or carrying was:

(9) By any person possessing a club or baton who holds a certificate that the person has had training in the use of a club or baton for self-defense that is valid and issued by a certified person authorized to give training in the use of clubs or batons, and is not prohibited from purchasing a firearm under any local, state or federal laws.

An instructor certified by a recognized authority such as PPCT, Manadnock, and ASP among others, teaching an industry regulated class can issue certificates that satisfy this requirement.

More here:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/authorized-vendors/15570-ppct-expandable-baton-training-certified-carry.html

Your certificate names you as "SUNTZU" ?

Yes you can carry one if you've had the training, but unlike a HCP you don't get a state issued permit/license.

You could still be charged and may have to prove to the court, rather than the officer, that you have had the training.

Guest 270win

I guess it depends on what you are using the head knocker...or we call them 'tire knockers' where I'm from in Arkansas for. Tennessee has a law called 'intent to go armed'...it all depends on what you are using the club for....if you are using it to check your tires...or play baseball...I guess it would be ok....but one of those ASP batons just are hard to pass as a tire knocker that you get in the truck stops that do double duty for a head knocker.

Guest SUNTZU

I carry an ASP baton and have a certificate. If you use it you're going to court in most cases. Same for your sidearm. This shouldn't be a surprise. The certificate shows you have the training to carry the collapsible baton and is recognized in this state and others, though not all. Show the certificate if asked by the cops. There are cases where some LEO's don't know the gun laws, regardless of having an HCP, either. I don't lose sleep over it.

Just be careful in and around the larger cities, folks get arrested all the time by Metro for carrying "clubs".

39-17-1302. Prohibited weapons. — (a) A person commits an offense who intentionally or knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs or sells:

(8) Any other implement for infliction of serious bodily injury or death that has no common lawful purpose.

Cops here simply argue before the Judicial Commish that fighting is an unlawful activity, and to engage in combat while armed with a club/baton is borderline aggravated assault... I've seen it happen many times. Commissioner always grants the warrant.

Metro shot a guy about two or three years ago for wielding an ASP baton

But as an honest "Peace Officer" here is the law that gives you a defense to carry:

39-17-1308. Defenses to unlawful possession or carrying of a weapon. — (a) It is a defense to the application of § 39-17-1307 if the possession or carrying was:

(9) By any person possessing a club or baton who holds a certificate that the person has had training in the use of a club or baton for self-defense that is valid and issued by a certified person authorized to give training in the use of clubs or batons, and is not prohibited from purchasing a firearm under any local, state or federal laws;

That said this is not an area of law hammered into young cadets brains during their stay at the academy, so go armed in this manor cautiously. Its not the same, nor will it have the same effect upon a young buck cop, when you hand him or her your TN CHL as apposed to a little card that said you have some training... one they more likely (than not) have never ever seen. The CHL on the other hand, you can count on them remembering that from the academy, trust me...

Edited by TMMT