Knox County ok's guns in parks

Guest Hillbilly1964

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can now be both legal and illegal on the same greenway, within seconds.

Matter of fact there's one section of one out west where it's city, county, city, county, all walking the same direction!

I love clear cut municipal polices like this.

- OS

Guest Hillbilly1964
Uhhh, where have you been? That news is over a week old.

Matthew

True, but it had not been posted here, (or I was unable to find it) so, for those who may travel to, but not live, in the Knox County area....

Guest SUNTZU

I love that greenway..."I'm a free citizen...I'm a criminal...I'm a free citizen....I'm a criminal." Its like hopping back and forth of the demarcation line between east and west Berlin back in the day.

I love that greenway..."I'm a free citizen...I'm a criminal...I'm a free citizen....I'm a criminal." Its like hopping back and forth of the demarcation line between east and west Berlin back in the day.

I guess if on a bike (your vehicle) you could unload and lock pistol up in a saddlebag every time you cross a city line. Maybe one could carry a skateboard for that purpose.

- OS

I'm not familiar with the parks or greenways in Knoxville but I was wondering....if the trails run through both city and county park areas wouldn't the highlited area in the law posted below be in effect?

Or is the city sections just owned by the city?... And the county sections just owned by the county? No shared ownership of sections of trails?

If they are jointly owned the law says that both city and county must vote to prohibit the carry of firearms in their shared parks.

(d) Notwithstanding the provisions of subdivision (

:lol:(1)(I), any

municipality or county may prohibit, by resolution adopted by a majority vote of its

legislative body, persons authorized to carry a handgun pursuant to § 39-17-

1351, from possessing such handgun while within or on a public park that is

owned or operated by a county, a municipality or instrumentality thereof. If a

legislative body elects to prohibit the possession of handguns within a park, the

prohibition shall apply to the entire park, notwithstanding the provisions of § 39-

17-1311(:)(1)(I). If such area is jointly owned or operated by municipalities or

counties, then a resolution adopted by a majority vote of all affected legislative

bodies, voting individually, is necessary for such municipalities or counties to

prohibit persons authorized to carry a handgun pursuant to § 39-17-1351, from

possessing such handgun while within such park.

If they are jointly owned the law says that both city and county must vote to prohibit the carry of firearms in their shared parks.

Knoxville city is not basing its ban on state law.

It already had a municipal ordinance in place banning firearms in parks that was legally binding.

- OS

Thanks for the clarification. I knew I was missing something.

Yeah, the whole debate with Knoxville City Council was whether to:

- repeal the municipal ban

If they did so, then they had two other choices

- allow carry and post no signs as per new TN statute

- disallow carry an post sings as per TN statute

They voted to leave existing ban in place.

Also, not that very few of the parks/greenways have any signage on them re weapons (or the many other rules they have). NONE of the ones I frequent do. The local ordinance does not call for signage as necessary ... you're just supposed to know.

Until all this hoopla came about, I didn't even know we HAD that ordinance, and I've lived here since 1966.

- OS