My Joker co-worker got a surprise today

Several co-workers and I went to Knoxville today for some computer training. We're all standing around before class, I'm fixing myself a coffee. One of my co-workers, who can never even for a minute be serious, decides he's going to be funny and try to pretend to steal my wallet.

Only problem was the pocket he went for had my KelTek in it. I keep in in a Desantis Pocket Holster, and it looks kind of like a wallet, which is one of the reasons I carry it and carry it there.

Well, he just sort of grabbed at it, not really wanting to take it out. I swung around, said something like "WTF" and pushed him away. When he realized it wasn't my wallet, I could see the look of puzzlement turn into a look of realization. The look was priceless. He didn't know I carried.

Then to make things worse, out of shock he shouts out "What, is that a gun in your pocket". IDIOT! I gave him a dirty look, glanced around to see who heard, I figure maybe one other. I told him to shut up and keep it to himself.

Later I overheard him mentioning it to someone else. So, now I've lost my inconspicuousness (sp?) and I'll probably be the talk of the office for a while.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You handled it better than me. If I felt some dude grabbing around my ass there would be an elbow flying in that direction.

Maybe it's time you bake up some brownies and take them to work. You know, the kind with chocolate ex-lax.

Of course you'll get fired, so maybe not a good idea.

Guest Muttling

Did you check your employer's policy on going armed while at work before carrying? Most employers (especially large ones) have specific policies requiring that employees not carry at work. If you were on the clock when this happened, it could turn very ugly for you.

Did you check your employer's policy on going armed while at work before carrying? Most employers (especially large ones) have specific policies requiring that employees not carry at work. If you were on the clock when this happened, it could turn very ugly for you.

Not sure if my "employer" has a policy or not, but the "place" I work at most certainly does. I'm a subcontractor.

Anyway, I was way off-site, and I don't think that would be a problem. At the most, I may get a "What's that all about" from my boss.

Should have shot him. That will keep him from talking.

Just kidding of course.

I think I would have a serious conversation with him about keeping his mouth shut. Knowing you have a gun in your pocket, I think he will take you serious.

I like practical jokes and gags as much as the next person, but keep your freaking hands off my person. I do not react well to that. I like my personal space as do most of us.

And since you overheard him make mention of it (gun) later you can be sure he has told anyone who will listen about it too.

Sue him for sexual harassment... now THAT's funny. I mean, he did kind of grab at your ass...

If they do try to fire you for carrying you could try to use this for leverage to stay. At least until you can find other employment. :tough:

You probably need to have a talk with this guy about how keeping his pie hole shut would be better for everybody or just tell everybody he's gay. :tough:

This sucks and I worry about it constantly. Not to mention that I work with such whiney, gripey SOBs that I'd probably have to leave.

You handled it better than me. If I felt some dude grabbing around my ass there would be an elbow flying in that direction.

Maybe it's time you bake up some brownies and take them to work. You know, the kind with chocolate ex-lax.

Of course you'll get fired, so maybe not a good idea.

Syurp of Ipecac is more entertaining. :tough:

Never did that but was very tempted once. Lunch theif.

Guest mustangdave
Syurp of Ipecac is more entertaining. :tough:

Never did that but was very tempted once. Lunch theif.

Ahhhh...a man after my own heart...this and a spinning back fist...I woulda laid him out...I hate practical jokers

Guest 270win

Someone grabbing for me especially toward a firearm would have been hit hard to avoid any chance that gun would have been grabbed. Retention at any cost is of high importantance. A grown man has no business reaching down into another grown man's pocket's in an office setting. It's your word against his....I would never ever admit to him or anyone that I carried a gun at that time...just keep that to yourself...focus on the fact that he stuck his hands in your pockets...we're talking about covering yourself....make him admit he was sticking his hands down in your pockets...and then make something up like you had a cell phone or whatever object in your pocket. Turn this problem onto the coworker grabbing you to protect your job....never never admit to carrying a gun.

Guest GimpyLeg

If work makes it an issue, was the joker SURE it was a gun, or just some fancy wallet. I'm sure it happened so quickly he couldn't really be sure. Just sayin....

Guest tnvolfan
man.. I hope this doesnt go bad for you. might be time to smart carry.

I think the Smart Carry is very impressive -- is that how you carry???

My father-in-law has a very appropriate saying: "If you stir the sh#t, it can only stink." What your co-worker did to you in inexcusable, and now he just wants to be the center of attention so he can have something to talk about. He's a jerk. You just be yourself, be above it all, like nothing happened. If your supervisor asks you about it, of course you have to discuss the matter with him. If anyone else asks, thank them for their concern, but explain that you don't feel comfortable discussing it, and tell them they don't have anything to be worried about. Then go about your business. Bottom line: it's nobody's business but yours, and your employer's. I would try to put the entire matter behind me (maybe a poor choice of words) and go ahead with doing my job.

And good luck to you . . . people should be grateful that you carry. There are entirely too few of us around!

Guest Boomhower

This is one of the reasons that I switched to carrying my BUG in my front pocket. Its easier to defend, quicker to access, & a lot more inconspicuous walking around with your hands in your front pocket if you are ever alerted to a possible threat. A thief sees a bulge in your back pocket & he doesn't know that it is not your wallet & in this case it would be a win win pocket pick for him either way.

This is all my opinion of course. I can't prove any of it!

Guest Boomhower

This is one of the reasons that I switched to carrying my BUG in my front pocket. Its easier to defend, quicker to access, & a lot more inconspicuous walking around with your hands in your front pocket if you are ever alerted to a possible threat. A thief sees a bulge in your back pocket & he doesn't know that it is not your wallet & in this case it would be a win win pocket pick for him either way.

This is all my opinion of course. I can't prove any of it!