Why I have not gone deer hunting in over 10 years

Guest Gun Geek

Guest Gun Geek

Ok before you all beat me senseless. I love hunting so this is not one of those tree huggin hippie posts.

Growing up I went hunting several times a year, my dad taught me everything. He taught me how to "field strip" & turn a whitetail into a backpack and carry it out of a canyon. (Keep in mind that this was AZ and closest shot was 200 yards rifle and maybe 30 archery and to find the deer you had to hike for miles.) He showed me out to skin the deer and he always made me do it myself. Then we would pack it on ICE and take it down to the game processing place to get made into burger, sausage steaks etc. I also helped him when the pigs & cows got butchered.

Now for some truth. I left for the military at the ripe old age of 17 and have not been hunting since. I have not attempted to go either, as much as I would like to. The reason... (gulp) I think I have forgotten how to clean it and am afraid to try. Its the bladder and the anus that has me worried (I know funny wording). He always stressed how important it was to be careful with that part because it would ruin the meat if done improperly.

I want to go hunting but I need to go with someone that can once again show me or rather teach me. I have a buddy here but he doesn't use all of the meat like I am accustomed to. His quote. "I dont even go for the abdominal cavity any more." Which doesn't make sense to me.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go hunting my friend, and don't sweat the small stuff. If you accidently hit the bladder with your knife, don't worry. Most times the blood settled in the chest cavity will wash it out. Plus, you will be rinsing the daylights out of it when you get home. I have hit more than one bladder in a deer, and to me, it's not worth worrying about. Just my experience is all.

Edited by wd-40
spelling
Go hunting my friend, and don't sweat the small stuff. If you accidently hit the bladder with your knife, don't worry. Most times the blood settled in the chest cavity will was it out. Plus, you will be rinsing the daylights out of it when you get home. I have hit more than one bladder in a deer, and to me, it's not worth worrying about. Just my experience is all.

I agree.

Guest Gun Geek

Thanks guys. When is the next season anyway?

LagerHead. I have no idea where you are but maybe we could set something up the next season where a few of us could go. From what I hear, hunting here is nothing like out west. People tell me you just set up a tree stand and wait. Not what I am use to but it is worth a shot at some venison.

Guest sharpshooter01
Thanks guys. When is the next season anyway?

People tell me you just set up a tree stand and wait. Not what I am use to but it is worth a shot at some venison.

The archery season is open now, here is a link that will show you the statewide season Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency - Deer Hunting Seasons

Most people scout for deer sign. Trails, tracks, droppings, freshly cracked acorns, rubs, scrapes and of course deer. When you find the best sign hang on it or hunt it from the ground whatever you prefer. Or you could still hunt which is walking slowly through the woods hoping to see some deer that you can then stalk and hopefully get a shot at. Don't worry about hitting the bladder just rinse it out good and you will be fine. Sounds like you need to hunt at your house if you have deer bedding there:D Good luck!

There are some good instructional videos that show "field dressing". There is no magic way that I have found. Seems that every deer has brought new challenges.

If you have the right opportunities, you may not have to put a knife to the deer at all. If I am close to a vehicle when I kill a deer and I am able to get the deer in the truck or 4 wheeler and get it to a processor within a couple hours of shooting it then I don't even field dress it. I just take it whole to the processor. I know how to field dress a deer, but that don't mean I like doing it.

Pegram is just west of Nashville. Hopefully I will get my feet wet this fall and then I will likely hunt every year. I have wanted to hunt all my life, but when you move 33 times in 36 years, it makes it kinda hard to get anything set up. Now that I have settled down a bit, I'm trying to get it going. Once I do, I'll do whatever it takes.

Guest GunTroll
....... From what I hear, hunting here is nothing like out west. People tell me you just set up a tree stand and wait. Not what I am use to but it is worth a shot at some venison.

Yes it is different. But in ways better. I'm from Wyoming. South of Yellowstone area. The hunting is outstanding out there. Best around some say. That being said the mid-west/south is great too. I truly just get all jittery sitting above the prey and having a say in if I take the animal or let it live. Its the ultimate predator feeling. Don't get me wrong, I'm not just about killing things. I just like to be selective. I'm kind of a horn hunter when it comes to males. For meat I'll take me a doe. I have never had a bad time watching deer acting naturally when I'm 15-20 feet above their heads. Its great! Out west hunting you know about. You'll have fun here too.

Guest Gun Geek

Out west hunting... nothing like shooting something the size of a greyhound from 350+ yards. But I sure wouldnt mind sitting in one spot either. My father use to make us walk for miles and miles, packing the deer out was no fun. After about the first 200 yards the deer starts to gain 5lbs with every step.