Advice for Glock 20 (10 mm)

True Grit

I wanted something fun to shoot at the range and impress my friends so I was looking at a Glock 20. It had a slightly smaller grip than standard, a ported barrel heavier spring, new trigger and a J point MRDS. The plain Glock 20 had too large of a grip for my average size hands but the gun store wanted $1999.00 for it.

Anyone like shooting a 10 mm? Any better 10 mm platforms?

:koolaid:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good lord who was trying to rip you off? Definitely dont buy there...Glock 20's can be had and modified for much less. If you dont want to go plastic look into the Dan Wesson Razorback (RZ10) 10mm or Dan Wesson Bobtail Commander 10mm they are that ~$1,000 range. The Glocks in 10mm do shoot pretty nice however.

Guest JHatmaker

Seriously? $2000!? That can't be right, if it is that place gets the award for most over-priced gun shop. I got mine new for $650. Saw a used one at the gun show this weekend for $500.

They are fun guns, recoil is no more than a .45. It's very accurate as well, especially with a 6 inch barrel. The only downside is ammo; it's expensive and hard to find. But I loved shooting mine. And you're good to go if a bear ever breaks into your house.

Edited by JHatmaker

I can say that I just recently shot by buddy's at Cole Creek Armory and I was impressed. It grouped very well and I was impressed...............he did reload his own ammo with his secret recipe so I did not shoot it with factory ammo. I think the recoil would be a little more with a hotter load. Good luck.............by the way he shoots 2-3 times a week over there after work if you want to try it out........let me know and thanks again for the smooth purchase of my shotgun tonight.

Was the shop you went to really busy? They must have made a mistake when they quoted you that price. :nervous: Brother-in-law had a regular Glock 29 about 10 years ago. Ammo was difficult to find even then. Shot well for me but he's left handed and it rubbed him raw. Unless you reload I would stay away from this caliber. Having said that a Glock 20SF with a 6 inch barrel is a 16 shot powerhouse.... it is on my wish list but not in the top ten. If you really want to impress your friends learn how to shoot what you already have. Or study how to shoot what they have, that will really get their attention. Or buy a stock pistol and focus on shooting it. I read in another thread that if you join the GSSF they send you a coupon for 100 bucks off a new Glock. If that's true then I would start there.

Guest addiboy3

I own 2 of the glock 20's both in full size and absolutely love em. Even with my somewhat small hands my wife and I both find the larger grip pleasantly comforting. The recoil of the massive 10mm seems to be more evenly distrubuted across your palm along with giving you more grip area to control the muzzle flip. I honestly feel a .380 ppk (love it too) is more abusive on your hand and harder to control because of narrow/small grips. Unfortunatly i may have to part with one of my g20's soon due to some bad financial luck.

I wanted something fun to shoot at the range and impress my friends so I was looking at a Glock 20. It had a slightly smaller grip than standard, a ported barrel heavier spring, new trigger and a J point MRDS. The plain Glock 20 had too large of a grip for my average size hands but the gun store wanted $1999.00 for it.

Anyone like shooting a 10 mm? Any better 10 mm platforms?

:D

Sorry but thats more then i paid for my all chrome DE 50 cal.!

I have 2 10mm's, the full size 20 and the compact 29SF. (it's worth noting that SF does not mean "slim frame", it denots "short frame")

I love them both. You can also get drop in .40 conversion barrels (I got mine from Lone Wolf) and shoot cheaper. (or .357 Sig if so inclined)

Reloading is really the best way to go with the caliber though, especially if you want the full power loads. There is a company called Double Tap that turns out some strong stuff; 180gr @ 1300 and some 135gr @ 1600. In warm weather I carry the latter as it just blows hell out of things but in cold weather I wonder if the lighter weight would be hindered penatration-wise by heavy clothing. For more "normal" SD lots of people like Win Silvertip.

Guest The Highlander

The $1999 price is absolutely ridiculous. I would not set foot back in that gun shop if they were serious about it.

The Glock 10MM's are possibly the most reliable handguns out there in the caliber. My G20 is exceptionally accurate, and the round is quite flat-shooting, even at 100 yards. Keep in mind that is a relative thing, as compared with many other handgun rounds.

The G20 is also versatile. It makes a potent self defense weapon, with 16 rounds of ammo of your choice. It can also be a pretty good handgun hunting weapon, especially with the Glock or other brand 6" barrels that are available.

Drawbacks are the relatively large size, and the size of the grip in particular. Although, I have small hands, I shoot mine pretty well. However, I do have to slightly shift my grip from what I use on the G17 size Glocks. The SF frames or a Robar grip reduction will eliminate that issue.

And here, I respectfully disagree with guyandarifle. the "SF" does indeed stand for Small Frame. The G20SF has a reduced circumference of grip when compared to the standard G20, and the G29SF/G29 has a similar relationship. The "height" of the pistols is no different. I believe you may be thinking of the differences between a G29 and a G20, where the G29 is indeed shorter in both height and length from the G20.

The SF moniker applies to the grip circumference only, and is only relevant when you are looking at the same model number; ie, G20 vs. G20SF.

The Highlander

And here, I respectfully disagree with guyandarifle. the "SF" does indeed stand for Small Frame. The G20SF has a reduced circumference of grip when compared to the standard G20, and the G29SF/G29 has a similar relationship. The "height" of the pistols is no different. I believe you may be thinking of the differences between a G29 and a G20, where the G29 is indeed shorter in both height and length from the G20.

The SF moniker applies to the grip circumference only, and is only relevant when you are looking at the same model number; ie, G20 vs. G20SF.

The Highlander

I'm pretty solid on the "short frame" designation.

Beginning in 2007, Glock introduced several "short-frame" models designated by the suffix "SF". The short frame was originally designed to compete in the now canceled U.S. military's Joint Combat Pistol trials for a new .45 ACP pistol to replace the M9 pistol. Glock's entry featured an optional ambidextrous magazine release and MIL-STD-1913 rail along with a reduction in the size of the grip front to rear, most pronounced at the base of the grip. The Glock 21SF is currently available in three versions: one with a Picatinny rail and ambidextrous magazine release and two with a Universal Glock rail available with or without the ambidextrous magazine release. Current 10 mm and .45-caliber Glock magazines are being made with ambidextrous magazine release cutouts at the front of the magazines. As of January 2009, the Glock 20, 21, 29, and 30 were offered in short-framed variations. These models incorporate 2.5 mm (.10 inch) reduction in trigger reach and full-sized pistols also feature a 4 mm (.16 inch) reduction in heel depth. This reduction in heel depth also corresponds to an overall reduction in length for those models.

Guest The Highlander

Technicalities. I think we are saying the same thing different ways. "Short" implies not as tall, a measurement of height. Height is measured from the bottom of the magazine well to the top of the rear sight, and isn't affected. I don't recall ever seeing Glock materials refer to it as either a "short" or a "small" frame actually. If anyone has a Glock Guide handy, maybe there is an answer for us.

As you mention, the SF models have a lesser trigger reach. This was accomplished by a reduction in circumference of the grip, as I said. Essentially, all Glock did was to follow Robbie Barrkman's (Robar) lead, and remove the space between the magazine well and the rear section of the grip.

As you noted, this also slightly reduced the overall length of the weapon as well.

In general, Glock did what they should have done in the first place, the big hole behind the magazine was useless. And the weapons fit those of us with average to small hands much better.

Technicalities. I think we are saying the same thing different ways. "Short" implies not as tall, a measurement of height. Height is measured from the bottom of the magazine well to the top of the rear sight, and isn't affected. I don't recall ever seeing Glock materials refer to it as either a "short" or a "small" frame actually. If anyone has a Glock Guide handy, maybe there is an answer for us.

As you mention, the SF models have a lesser trigger reach. This was accomplished by a reduction in circumference of the grip, as I said. Essentially, all Glock did was to follow Robbie Barrkman's (Robar) lead, and remove the space between the magazine well and the rear section of the grip.

As you noted, this also slightly reduced the overall length of the weapon as well.

In general, Glock did what they should have done in the first place, the big hole behind the magazine was useless. And the weapons fit those of us with average to small hands much better.

I agree the "short" vs "small" frame is probably a matter of semantics in practice but I was pointing out that, from a definitional standpoint, I'm pretty much certain the actual verbiage associated with "SF" is "Short Frame". (I'm assuming this is specifically referring to the decreased trigger reach)

As to the functional observations you make I'm in total agreement. I haven't got the biggest mitts in the world and that was one of the reasons my compact 10mm was the 29SF.

Guest The Highlander

I had my G20 years before the SF's, so Robar is the route for it. The G30 I owned had night sights and was surprisingly accurate, but I just could not get comfortable with it, so it got traded. If I ever buy a G29, it will definitely be the SF.

As for the OP, if you are buying a new 10mm today, my advise is definitely the Glock. The Kimber 10mm's would be a very close second. The Glock wins on round count, sheer abuse the heck out of it strength, and the availibility of all kinds of holsters and accessories for the Glocks. You can even get .40 S&W barrels, or a .50GI barrel/slide for the G20.