Putting down your best friend.

Guest GunTroll

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few quotes I've always liked...

"If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

-----

"In the world which we know, among the different and primitive geniuses that preside over the evolution of the several species, there exists not one, excepting that of the dog, that ever gave a thought to the presence of man."

- Maurice Maeterlinck - 'Our Friend, The Dog'

-----

"Recollect that the Almighty, who gave the dog to be companion of our pleasures and our toils, hath invested him with a nature noble and incapable of deceit."

- Sir Walter Scott

Guest louderthebetter

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown

Hang in there, GunTroll. I, too, lost my wonderful friend last April. The worst day of my life....it gets better, and you start to smile (instead of breaking down) when you recall all of those GREAT times together, but it takes time. Maybe you'll even decide to get another one....it helps to fill the obvious gap.

Good luck!

Guest louderthebetter

I cut and pasted this from another forum.Someone there lost her dog and the above was posted.(Rainbow Bridge).I've had dogs all my life and have two now that ain't

worth a tinkers damn to anybody but to me,they are priceless.

I've been there and know how you feel. I still miss my golden retriever who was the best friend I ever had after almost two years. I can't say anything to make you feel better but it does get better with time even though right now I know you don't think so. It may always be sad when you think of him but someday thinking back you will be glad you had him for all those years and all the great memories from that time. :)

Guest pjblurton

I had to put 13 y/o German Shepherd down 2 summers ago. I've roamed this earth for 37 years and I think it was the toughest thing I had to do yet. He was so loyal, I couldn't possibly allow him to suffer. He was too proud. I wish there were words I could express to you that would ease your loss, but theres not any. Time helps, a little. He's burried in our back yard and I still go out to talk to him.

I know its goofy, but I did write some words that summer that seemed to help.

Remember when…..

I remember when you came home for the first time wearing a red bow and so fat you could hardly get up from lying on your back.

I remember you knocking over all of those Christmas trees with an over-enthusiastic wag of your tail.

I remember staying at Papaw Charlie's and trying to make you sleep in the barn, you wouldn't have any of that.

I remember rides in my old pick up truck, how you loved to go. It didn't matter where, as long as I was there too.

I remember how you would climb into bed with us during thunderstorms.

I remember that cat in Knoxville that you finally cornered and then decided that was enough of that game…

I remember how hard you tried to do what ever it was that I was asking you to do.

I remember buying Kong balls over and over because they weren't really indestructible.

I remember all those goofy tricks I made you learn, just to go and show you off to everyone when they came to visit.

I remember the way you protected "the herd" while I was away, no one could get between you and the girls if I was gone.

I remember as you grew older, the black wore off your nose and your hair turned grey.

I remember when you were getting sick, how you got everything you wanted and then some.

I remember how I promised you that I would not cry for you when you were gone.

I am sorry old friend; I let you down on that one, I did try. Time is slowly healing my pain but you will forever be a part of me

Guest GunTroll

Yeah I cried. I feel better today knowing that he's not hurting. I have to admit I feel at a loss or empty without a dog around. In time I'll love another.