Thoughts on this sign...

Guest VTCessnaPilot

Guest VTCessnaPilot

I snapped a photo of a sign I came across while walking past a business the other day.

Even though it doesn't look to me to be "substantially similar" to what the state requires, it seems like it could be on the line, especially if the officer/judge you might have to deal with is not having the best of days...

What do you think?

akbqer.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 things:

1) what movie theatre is this sign at? I want to make sure I never do business with them.

2) if they put up a sign...just don't carry there. the last thing we need is a bunch of "law-breaking carry permit holders" in the news. if they put up a sign, then they don't want guns there. plain & simple. respect their rights just as much as we want ours respected. it's their place of business, and their choice to prohibit carry there (albeit a stupid choice.)

better yet, just take your business elsewhere...they don't deserve your $$$.

Guest VTCessnaPilot

1. Regal Cinemas in Hendersonville. I believe this goes the same for all their company owned locations.

2. It's not my intention to start another thread about the pros/cons of carrying into an improperly posted area... that's a decision that everyone has to make for themselves. I'm just trying to get a handle on where the line is when it comes to properly worded signs.

Guest crotalus01

I wouldnt think that sign would get you convicted - its too small for one, its likely the only place it is posted (not at all entrances as the law requires), and it does not contain language substantially similiar to the statute.

Fortunately for us in Memphis, Malco freely allows the carrying of weapons in their theaters (except by employees, havent figured that one out yet)...

2 things:

1) what movie theatre is this sign at? I want to make sure I never do business with them.

2) if they put up a sign...just don't carry there. the last thing we need is a bunch of "law-breaking carry permit holders" in the news. if they put up a sign, then they don't want guns there. plain & simple. respect their rights just as much as we want ours respected. it's their place of business, and their choice to prohibit carry there (albeit a stupid choice.)

better yet, just take your business elsewhere...they don't deserve your $$$.

Not necessarily true. There are some buisness that post non-enforcible signs to appease the sheep. They also post as a CYA in case some non permit holder is caring and he tries to cry ignorance (not that it would matter much).

If it's non-enforcible carry away until it is made clear otherwise. We are expected to know and obey the law, so why not a buisness? I can't carry a handwritten HCP and say, "well you know what I mean officer".:D

Not necessarily true. There are some buisness that post non-enforcible signs to appease the sheep. They also post as a CYA in case some non permit holder is caring and he tries to cry ignorance (not that it would matter much).

If it's non-enforcible carry away until it is made clear otherwise. We are expected to know and obey the law, so why not a buisness? I can't carry a handwritten HCP and say, "well you know what I mean officer".:D

totally understand your point, and share your frustration about us carry folks having to know the law, w/out the same being required of businesses.

that said however, my point is, if it is clearly the intention of the business to ask that weapons not be carried there...why wouldn't we, as the good-guys in this situation, just respect their stupid wishes?

I agree it's dumb for them to post...I agree we should be allowed to carry. however, the business owner has just as much of a right to deny carry in their shop, as we do to carry ourselves. as foolish as I think posting a business is, it is still the business owners right to ask that guns not be carried there. and "properly" posted or not, if they go to the trouble to put up a sign, it's pretty clear what their wishes are...

and don't think the news/media will tell the whole story...the piece on the 5'oclock news will just say something about a HCP holder carrying in a business that was off limits. you & I both know there won't be a peep about the fact that the business wasn't posted properly...

and whether we like it or not, people who don't know the difference will vote based on what the news tells them...

in short, us HCP's need to avoid "looking like the bad guys" at all costs.

just my :(:)

You need to go back and research the discussions that have been posted about this same thing. You will find the responses to most of your inquiries.

inquiries...? I'm not followin' ya...? :D

Guest Bill Lumberg

Carrying where posted is a very poor plan A. The court decides what is substantially similar, not each individual permitee. I would like for there to be one standard mandated sign, with no permissable deviations. The fact that there isn't one isn't an excuse to pretend common sense doesn't apply.