sight picture advice

Guest mosinon

So I made it out to coal creek armory today (I would've gone up to Norris but OhShoot is out of town) for my second round of firing my beretta 92.

The good news is that after 250 rounds the beretta still hasn't failed or even come close.

The bad news is that I'm doing something wrong. Aiming wise I mean. See I can get a nice group, well nice for me, but the group doesn't seem to have anything to do with where I am aiming.

After a few magazines I realized that I was consistently low and to the left of where I was aiming. No big deal in a defense situation, aim at the shoulder and center of mass every time. But I want to be more accurate.

So I worked through getting the sight properly centered and, sure enough, once I knew what I should be seeing I corrected that problem. That left me with the shooting low issue.

To try and correct that I spent a lot of times (and rounds) trying to get those white dots lined up. Except the dots are round so getting them lined up for me is about impossible. I said screw that and concentrated on getting the top of the sights nice and level. This helped a bit, my shots were higher (if I aimed at the teeth I shot the target in the neck, zombie targets, they don't have yetis) which was weird. It was almost as if the rounds were going where the white dots were instead on the top of the sights.

That really isn't a big deal in a self defense situation but I want some accuracy dammit! I want to know where the thing is going when I pull the trigger. Well, if you've seen my golf game you wouldn't buy into that last statement, but still.

So fine and knowledgeable members of TGO I turn the question over to you, what the **** am I doing wrong? I've got to know, I'll probably be shooting with OhShoot again sometime and I don't want to hit was of his targets by accident.

For the record I like shooting outside much better than an indoor range.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you're anticipating the "bang" and jerking the trigger (I have the same problem). Since I haven't solved for myself, the only advice I have is to try to let the trigger break "surprise" you.

I look forward to see other's advice to see if I can solve my problem too.

Edited by Loon160T
Sounds like you're anticipating the "bang" and jerking the trigger (I have the same problem). Since I haven't solved for myself, the only advice I have is to try to let the trigger break "surprise" you.

I look forward to see other's advice to see if I can solve my problem too.

OhShoot mentioned that as well so there is probably something to it. Though I usually feel surprised when it goes bang.

Though, if that is the problem, I wonder how to fix it. I suppose just shootin a bunch might help. And if it doesn't it would still be fun.

Not familiar with the Beretta, but I know that some handgun sights are designed for you to cover the target with the dot on the front sight instead of placing the target on top of the dot. Not sure if that applies to your gun, though.

Interesting.That could be it. Though to my inexperienced self that seems like a sub optimal way to aim. The notion that you can't actually see your target when you shoot seems a mistake to me. I think I hate those white dots. I am tempted to cover them with electrical tape or something.

In my very humble opinion I think 250 rounds your first two times to the range is way too much. You should dry fire every chance you get to build your stamina and muscle memory. If you get fatigued at the range you will only get worse, I know I do. Try shooting both eyes opened, and then your left eye closed and see if that changes the point of impact. I have found that by shifting my body weight forward, putting my shoulders in front of my hips, that I can become ALOT more accurate. My theory is the more umph I put forward while I'm shooting the more accurate I become. Also try to find some hot NATO FMJ's and shoot them. I think a hotter heavier round will shoot higher because of the greater recoil . Also go and watch some normal guys shoot. Try to find a book or DVD on shooting the Beretta and I bet it will be worth every penny to someone as competitive as yourself. FWIW I bought a slightly used Springfield Mil-Spec last week and my first shot was 12 inches low and 12 inches right. and I've been shooting pistols 14 years. Don't be too hard on yourself, be safe and have fun. And if you want to go RAMBO with a full magazine, go for it!

Since this is your first handgun and your second or third time shooting, you're going to need to practice a lot more. Eventually you'll get the hang of it. Since you aren't going to spend the cash on an instructor, go shooting with more than just one person. Get ideas and tips from everyone and try them all to see what works. It's going to take you a while to get acustomed to your Beretta but once you do, you can take what you've learned about shooting the Beretta and apply it to a Glock or 1911 or what ever your next hand gun will be........it's all about practice and time.

I've been shooting for 20+ years and still miss every now and again....:screwy: