Need Advice: Buying small 9mm for EDC

Thince1980

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Bryan thanks for that link, the CM is clearly 1/2 inch taller and longer.

I didn't really realize this before I started looking at the Kahr a lot, but the CW series offers a 9, 40, and 45 and they are all roughly the same size and same price (at least at the shop I am going to)

As most of you probably know, if you paid attention to the trading post areas.. I have bought and sold a good supply of everything mentioned accept the Kahr PM series.

Personally I have settled on the .40 caliber. Kahr PM40. However, if I would have stayed with 9mm i would own the PM9.

For me the PM series Kahr was a perfect fit and (for me) the perfect balance between size, accuracy, reliability, consealability.

Of all the carry guns I've owned over the years the PM series Kahr is my favorite hands down.

Thanks lowbud

The thread just keeps getting more and more glowing reviews of the Kahr PM series. Which is cool

Nobody has really mentioned anything about the CW series. Since they are very very similiar series I am just assuming that the CW series is nearly as good.

I really can't afford a PM right now.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the recommendation Gordan

but now I have gone and discovered the Ruger SR-9

It has a lot of great things (like 17 rounds vs 7)

but I know it is a lot bigger than the Kahr. (I know it will never slip in my pocket)

How do you people ever decide what to buy???

Rebtl

When you hold it, and get that "I gotta have this" feeling.

I have shot a PM 9, great shooting gun, but if you consider one, their extended magazine doesn't mix well with large hands.

maybe i missed it earlier in the thread but if you are looking at the SR9, why not try out a Glock 19 or XD9 as well? i personally think the Glock 19 is one of the best all around pistols out there, big enough to shoot comfortably and small enough to conceal easily. it holds 15+1.

Rebtl,

I am on the same quest you are. I bought my first gun, intending to carry, about a year ago. Sig p226. I love the gun but don't carry it... too big to conceal with what I wear on a daily basis.

I had been looking for something for my wife for about 6 months and she about drove me crazy because she couldn't make up her mind. Finnally I just bought her the taurus 709 and she absolutely loves it! We have put about 400 rounds through it the only problem being that it wouldn't fire about 5% of the reloads we put though it. Taurus said that they only guarantee it to shoot manufactured rounds and we haven't put a manufactured round in it that it wouldn't shoot.

I have been looking for exactly what you are, again for myself and have really considered the pm9 as well. I have a gunsmith buddy that is trying to talk me out of buying kahr because of some past experiences but almost everyone else has had nothing but good to say about them.

I am really considering buying another taurus 709 for myself because of the great experience we have had with the one we have. I have never been a taurus fan but my opinion may be changing. Another attractive point is that we bought the gun (brand new, at a gun shop), 100 rounds of ammo and two holsters for just under $500.

I love my sig and wouldn't trade it for 2 of anything else but it makes a great truck gun not CCW.

Just another heads up... I shot the CW9 and thought it was a rough shoot. my sig vs. cw9? kinda like the difference in driving a Cadillac and go-cart... real jerky. The 709 isn't a very comfortable shoot for me because big hands don't do well with small guns but I could carry it in my pocket comfortably and I don't plan on spending a lot of time on the range.

Thats another point. Any of the smaller guns are not gonna be a lot of fun on the range... just consider that... but for CCW they serve their purpose

I'm no gun expert. Consider all of the above MHO

Edited by The Scullinator
few added thoughts
maybe i missed it earlier in the thread but if you are looking at the SR9, why not try out a Glock 19 or XD9 as well? i personally think the Glock 19 is one of the best all around pistols out there, big enough to shoot comfortably and small enough to conceal easily. it holds 15+1.

Yea I would consider a glock but I really can't afford one right now.

Rebtl,

I am on the same quest you are. I bought my first gun, intending to carry, about a year ago. Sig p226. I love the gun but don't carry it... too big to conceal with what I wear on a daily basis.

I had been looking for something for my wife for about 6 months and she about drove me crazy because she couldn't make up her mind. Finnally I just bought her the taurus 709 and she absolutely loves it! We have put about 400 rounds through it the only problem being that it wouldn't fire about 5% of the reloads we put though it. Taurus said that they only guarantee it to shoot manufactured rounds and we haven't put a manufactured round in it that it wouldn't shoot.

I have been looking for exactly what you are, again for myself and have really considered the pm9 as well. I have a gunsmith buddy that is trying to talk me out of buying kahr because of some past experiences but almost everyone else has had nothing but good to say about them.

I am really considering buying another taurus 709 for myself because of the great experience we have had with the one we have. I have never been a taurus fan but my opinion may be changing. Another attractive point is that we bought the gun (brand new, at a gun shop), 100 rounds of ammo and two holsters for just under $500.

I love my sig and wouldn't trade it for 2 of anything else but it makes a great truck gun not CCW.

Just another heads up... I shot the CW9 and thought it was a rough shoot. my sig vs. cw9? kinda like the difference in driving a Cadillac and go-cart... real jerky. The 709 isn't a very comfortable shoot for me because big hands don't do well with small guns but I could carry it in my pocket comfortably and I don't plan on spending a lot of time on the range.

Thats another point. Any of the smaller guns are not gonna be a lot of fun on the range... just consider that... but for CCW they serve their purpose

I'm no gun expert. Consider all of the above MHO

Hey thanks for the great post,

I am going to GT's tomorrow to purchase a gun, and I am going to look at the Taurus 709.

However, right now I am leaning mostly towards the CW-9.

I understand it won't be the most comfortable all day range gun (my friend has an XD-9 so I can do that if I want) but I feel like it will be enough to get a good amount of practice with and be able to carry on a regular basis, which is really the goal of this purchase.

I will be looking for more fun shooting guns (like the sr-9 maybe) in the future, but right now I am totally without something to carry and my permit should be here in the mail any day (read: week because it takes foreeever)

Thanks for all of the input guys and I will let you know what I end up buying.

Rebtl

We buy them all...one at a time. B)

Yup!

Buy the CW9. If you dont like it after it is broken in, sell it on here for a very small loss and try again.

It will most definitely hold its value better than a lot of guns. The only problems I have heard of have been handled nice and fast by Kahr. I had a good one though as most are.

Keep buying and selling and it gets fun after a while. The problem is, you make money on some too and then you buy more and more and then you have a 40 gun safe in the corner and guns hidden all over the house.

Yup!

Buy the CW9. If you dont like it after it is broken in, sell it on here for a very small loss and try again.

It will most definitely hold its value better than a lot of guns. The only problems I have heard of have been handled nice and fast by Kahr. I had a good one though as most are.

Thanks for the advice, I am pretty sure thats what I am going to do.

The problem is, you make money on some too and then you buy more and more and then you have a 40 gun safe in the corner and guns hidden all over the house.

You say that like its a bad thing.

That is the goal, no? :D

Rebtl

glock has a pretty liberal discout program. if you are anyway connected in their homeland defense category, military, LE, EMT, fire, etc then you get them with three mags for less than 500 out the door. thats the same price range as the Kahr that seems to be the popular choice so far.

also if you dont qualify that way, you can sign up for the GSSF, Glock Shooting Sports Foundation, and receive a certificate for a LE package Glock for 398+shipping