Need Advice: Buying small 9mm for EDC

Thince1980

I just came into some money by selling a gun, and I want to buy a small 9mm for everyday carry.

Primarily I want something that is well built, and small enough to conceal pretty easily.

I am not really a stickler for the number of rounds, just want ease of carry.

I have been reading good things about Kahr's (CM-9?), and I also handled a Taurus Millennium today at Sportsman's but it seemed a little big.

I am open to any and all suggestions of 9mm.

Thanks for any advice,

Rebtl

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@MacGyver - I have been considering the PPS, but I already own a P22 and I was sort of looking to go for a different brand just because I am a relatively new handgun owner (im only 21) and I want to expand my horizons. .....But if it fits the bill, I would def be willing, because I love my P22, never had a problem with it.

@Raoul - I haven't really looked at any Kahr's just read about them online. I will look for the CW series. I don't know if "a bit larger" will work. I am 6"1' but more bones than meat if you know what I mean. I need something easily concealed in the pocket or back pocket.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Anybody else?

Rebtl

Guest JHatmaker

So have you looked at both the PM9 and CW9? I personally like the PM9's better, but get what you like, if the CW9 fits the bill, get it.

Are you mainly looking for something you could fit in your pocket? When you said the Taurus MilPro was too big I took that as a hint your wanting something real small.

I'm just throwing this out there, not sure of your budget etc, but have you looked at the Rohrbaugh R9?

@MacGyver - I have been considering the PPS, but I already own a P22 and I was sort of looking to go for a different brand just because I am a relatively new handgun owner (im only 21) and I want to expand my horizons. .....But if it fits the bill, I would def be willing, because I love my P22, never had a problem with it.

Rebtl

How is the accuracy on your P22? Mine was horrible, so I sold it and got a Mk3. It was unfortunate, because I really liked the gun, and it was fun to shoot. I could barely stay on a sheet of paper with it at 20 yards, with my Ruger I shoot 3" groups(my lack of skill, not the weapon).

For carry, I just have a Glock 27 all the time. I'm sure the 9mm version is good as well, might be a bit chunky for your needs though.

So have you looked at both the PM9 and CW9? I personally like the PM9's better, but get what you like, if the CW9 fits the bill, get it.

I really like the PM-9 too, it is obviously the better gun. They are the same gun except a few differences do make the CW-9 cheaper.

Differences explained Here

The difference for me is the C series is about $200 cheaper.

Are you mainly looking for something you could fit in your pocket? When you said the Taurus MilPro was too big I took that as a hint your wanting something real small.

I am looking for something to fit in my pocket if the need arises (which I think I could do in my jeans pocket with the Kahr, but if I go with the Kahr or Taurus I think most EDC will IWB. (I got to handle the Kahr today and it just felt better in my hand than the Taurus.)

I'm just throwing this out there, not sure of your budget etc, but have you looked at the Rohrbaugh R9?

I have ogled the Rohrbaugh, but I can't afford it or I would have one.

I am trying to keep total cost under $500.

Right now I am really leaning toward the CW-9 (GT's has them for $389) but I am still considered the Taurus (Sportsman's has them for around the same price or less maybe)

Thanks for all the responses guys.

Rebtl

Edited by Rebtl
I own a PM9 and I have found that it displaced my jframes, the P3AT, and often even my G19 as my carry gun. It is a fine pistol and I recommend it highly.

Thanks for the recommendation!

I actually just sold a P3AT (mainly because there is no ammo) and I am using that money for my next purchase.

These days I'm carrying my Kel-Tec P-11 in my front pocket. It's less than $300, and reliable. If it ever breaks, KT customer service is legendary.

I have heard good things about the P-11 and Kel-Tec customer service.

As I mentioned above I just sold a P-3AT. It was nice, but it just never really felt right. I have played with the P-11 at the ammo dump and it seems nice but I don't think I am going for a Kel-Tec this time around.

Rebtl

I have owned the Kahr PM9 and have convinced 6 people I train every month to buy one as well based upon their specifications for concealed carry (small, 9mm or higher, semi-auto, can fit in pocket if necessary).

I can say for certain that the PM9 is that perfect balance between concealability and firepower.

@Ben

Thanks for that awesome recommendation!

I am pretty sure that I am going with the Kahr CW-9, which is the same as the PM-9 except for a few minor differences:

-Match Grade Rifling (PM) v. Conventional (CW) (I am not a good enough shot for this to matter)

-Slide release is Machined Piece (PM) v. MiM piece (CW) -if it is really a big deal I believe I can buy a replacement slide release for the PM and it will fit the CW

-Front Sites Drift (PM) v. Pinned (CW)

-Cosmetic differences - engraving and slide machining

For me, none of those things really justify adding $200 to the price tag.

Rebtl

Actually just sold my CW9 today in Chattanooga.

Anyway, they are very small when compared to Glock 26s, etc. There are smaller ones out there already mentioned. In the Kahr Club on glocktalk, a guy has cut the grip off of his CW-9 to match the PM9 and is able to use the shorter mags in it.

I would never screw around with one like that, but he is very pleased.

I skimmed the other posts and saw Keltec mentioned, but not the PF9. This may be another option for you. Slimmer version of the P11.

Bersa is reportedly coming out with a 9 approximately the size of the Taurus 709 if you want to wait.

I don't think I can wait for a new gun to come out, but I haven't heard of the Taurus 709 before.

I am going to look into it.

Anybody have any experience with these?

Thanks,

Rebtl

Update: From the specs I was able to find it seems maybe the 709 is a bit larger than Kahr. If that is the case I will just stick with the Kahr.

Edited by Rebtl

Thanks for the recommendation Gordan

but now I have gone and discovered the Ruger SR-9

It has a lot of great things (like 17 rounds vs 7)

but I know it is a lot bigger than the Kahr. (I know it will never slip in my pocket)

How do you people ever decide what to buy???

Rebtl

Edited by Rebtl

The other difference between the CW9 and the PM9 not mentioned in the image you linked is that the CW9 is .6" longer and .5" taller. I've already got a PM9, but honestly that doesn't seem like that big a deal. If you can get a good deal on a CW9 it might be a good choice.

Guest clsutton21

I love my Ruger SR9. I have the 17+1 in OD green. I found it to be extremely accurate and I love mine; It also has a reversible back strap. Of course it is going to be heavy with 18 rounds in it, but you can always get a 10 round mag for EDC and a 17+1 for practice. I would suggest getting the 17+1 version and buying the 10 mag separate because the 17 rounders are $50 each and the gun comes with 2. =D

The other difference between the CW9 and the PM9 not mentioned in the image you linked is that the CW9 is .6" longer and .5" taller. I've already got a PM9, but honestly that doesn't seem like that big a deal. If you can get a good deal on a CW9 it might be a good choice.

Hmm didn't know that. Good to know though!

Dont hesitate...just get the Kahr and enjoy

Still might go that way

I love my Ruger SR9. I have the 17+1 in OD green. I found it to be extremely accurate and I love mine; It also has a reversible back strap. Of course it is going to be heavy with 18 rounds in it, but you can always get a 10 round mag for EDC and a 17+1 for practice. I would suggest getting the 17+1 version and buying the 10 mag separate because the 17 rounders are $50 each and the gun comes with 2. =D

The Ruger recall on the SR-9 kind of scares me though, even though I am sure it has been fixed.