1st AR needs scope

Steve_cru

First, I wanted to let everyone know how much I have enjoyed reading all the threads. Alot of good information out there. Hopefully I will be able to make it to one of the Middle Tenn shoots soon to meet some of you. Anyways, I just bought my first AR last month ( RRA Predator Pursuit). Now I need to purchase a scope and some rings. Anyone have any suggestions ( brand and size). I would like to stay around $500 for both, but that is a little flexible. I have no need to take the scope off and put it back on again. I have been looking at the Bushnell Elite 4200's. I plan on shooting paper until I can get home again to do a little varmint hunting. I would like to be able to shoot 150-200 yards or so. Appreciate the help.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

First, I wanted to let everyone know how much I have enjoyed reading all the threads. Alot of good information out there. Hopefully I will be able to make it to one of the Middle Tenn shoots soon to meet some of you. Anyways, I just bought my first AR last month ( RRA Predator Pursuit). Now I need to purchase a scope and some rings. Anyone have any suggestions ( brand and size). I would like to stay around $500 for both, but that is a little flexible. I have no need to take the scope off and put it back on again. I have been looking at the Bushnell Elite 4200's. I plan on shooting paper until I can get home again to do a little varmint hunting. I would like to be able to shoot 150-200 yards or so. Appreciate the help.
I can't comment on rings, but the Bushnell Elite 4200's are really good scopes for the money. The Bushnell Elite 3200's are pretty darn good too, for the price. I have the 10x40 fixed power mil-dot and have been happy with it. Another really good scope in the~$300 range is the Weaver V Series. I have a Weaver V16 that has optics that aren't too far behind Leupold's that I have that cost 3x as much.

150 - 200 yard groundhoggin rig? You can squeeze in there with a 3x9 if you want to. I've got a nikon 6-18 buckmaster that rocks for groundhog. I like to get out a little further though. Nikon also has a 4-12 and a 3x9 buckmaster...all well within your budget. For a little more money, a good piece of do-it-all glass is the 30mm monarch 2.5-10.

I have one bushnell scope, a 1.75-4x I have on my .44 carbine. Nothing wrong with it. Side by side, i like the brightness of the nikon optics at the mid-range price point.

In terms of rings, if you want to mount directly to the rail without raising the "base", get the tallest set of extra high "weaver style" rings you can find. I don't like the cheek weld this gives me, but it works.

Edited by Mugster

you can not go wrong with Elite scopes, a scope mount like the one right winger pictured is what you want. with the off set.

if you are wanting to shoot at a action pistol/3 gun style matches then i would say do not go above 2x on the low end, i use a 1.5 x 5 and shoot with it out to 500 yards, no is not easy at that range but you can hit.

most shoots go from a few yards to about 40 yards, with one long range stage 100-300 depending on their range.