Carry Question

Guest Steve Bryant

I agree with you for us, traffic stops shouldn't be a big deal as far as carry goes.

For the LEO, it's a HUGE deal. Traffic stops are one of the most dangerous things they do. Lots of cops have been killed during "routine" traffic stops. I think we should cut them a lot of slack here and go out of our way to politely let them know we are law abiding gun owners instead of a gun carrying criminal who may mean them harm.

I see where you're coming from but wouldn't the fact that they should already know he's dealing with a permit holder be different? One of the things we harp on constantly is HCP holders are not "just people with guns". We've had to pass background checks, classes, etc. Hell, were I LEO I'd probably feel a little better dealing with a HCP holder than some unknown quantity.

I'd just as soon hand them my HCP since (assuming I'm driving my vehicle) they would already be privvy to that info anyway. Seems a decent gesture. Like others have said if not carrying I'm just another guy unless they feel a need to ask.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bill Lumberg

Wow. Some bad advice in this thread. You do not have to volunteer your permit. You do have to show it when asked by a police officer. Responding truthfully if an officer asks you if you are armed is a) a great way to stay out of jail, :P a great way to keep from getting shot or getting a pavement facial, and c) common sense. Any full-grown adult carrying legally would likely volunteer that they were armed before even being asked. Mature behavior puts me at ease. I appreciate honest, up-front folks when I'm on duty. Makes me want to get them on their way with as little hassle for both of us as possible.