Invisible sign

Guest Tonyology

wow... i go there all the time before work.... and never notice the sign... but i still conceal carry..... what they dont know.... wont hurt!!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bill Lumberg

It's not smart to carry period in a posted place. This whole fascination with pretending that permit holders can decide for themselves whether a sign is hilarious. That decision is for the court.

It is not smart to OPENLY carry a handgun at a place with some sign that has no legal meaning in TN. That is the whole point of CONCEALING properly. If you conceal properly and you happen to miss a silly sign, well no one knows but you. I don't sweat it because my safety is of great importance in Memphis city limits. A large handgun carried in a cheap holster covered by an untucked t shirt is just asking for someone to see your handgun when you say sit on a stool or bend over.
  • Administrator
It's not smart to carry period in a posted place. This whole fascination with pretending that permit holders can decide for themselves whether a sign is hilarious. That decision is for the court.

The Attorney General has clearly stated what sort of sign is legit and what sort is not. As long as you go by his metric, there is no reason why a HCP holder can not make an on the field call for themselves.

You can make the call all you want, but it's not worth it to make a big deal and call out the manager. That makes us all look bad. Think, "Is it worth loosing my permit for?" Is it worth having to hire a lawyer and go to court??

Guest db99wj

Their invisible sign goes well with my invisible gun.

The only no guns allowed signs that I have ever noticed are legal, they are in prominent locations, usually eye level on the door you walk in and and at a minimum 12" X 12" signs. If not, they are not what the law or the AG has said they have to be, and they are in a corner or other obscure location. I for one, don't really look at all the signs on the doors and windows of a business. For example, Home Depot. I assume they have signs on the glass doors...what I have no idea, I guess the hours they are open are on there, but to be honest, I don't look at them and read every sign that has been plastered up there. In summary, I don't go out of my way to search, hunt out and read all the signs that are on the front wall/door of a business.

Here's your sign!

Guest db99wj
What's the old WWII slogan....Loose Lips...Sink Ships. Follow the LAW guys

Yes, definitely follow the law, no question.

The law regarding the signs is worded, the AG came out with an opinion to back it up, that the signs need to meet the a certain criteria with the language used, and it must be placed in a location that is easily visible. That is what the law says. If they have a circle with a slash through it, and it is located somewhere that is not in direct view of someone entering in, it doesn't meet the letter of the law. This language puts the burden on the business owner to predominately display the sign, it doesn't say anything about the permit holder having to stop, read every sign on the front doors, front walls, at all entrance/exits points or search for an obscure sign that may or may not be there or legal.

Edited by db99wj
Guest mustangdave

What I meant by my Loose Lip...Sink Ships!!! was...if shop owners are ignorant of the "law"...and post incorrectly...I am not going to be the one to tell them...I will kindly inform those in this community and let business trends take effect. Odds are the shop owner will be oblivious to the facts and slowly go out of business.

Guest db99wj
What I meant by my Loose Lip...Sink Ships!!! was...if shop owners are ignorant of the "law"...and post incorrectly...I am not going to be the one to tell them...I will kindly inform those in this community and let business trends take effect. Odds are the shop owner will be oblivious to the facts and slowly go out of business.

I knew that, my post was the one not clear, I was agreeing with your follow the law part and to keep your mouth shut, then I went on a rant.;)

Guest Gun Geek

I can understand that db99wj, Think about it we are all so use to ignoring advertisements or signs that they just disappear after a while. (especially on the web) I still try to look for a sign as I am walking to & in the door somewhere. If I can see it as I take steps into the building I am not going to sit there and look for it.

Recently however, I have been looking, I want to see how many businesses actually are posted in some manner or another so I can out them to our fellow 2A supporters. ;). Soon a small camera will stay in my pocket for these finds. I promise I wont tell them if it is properly posted or not.

Guest 270win

If a sign does not conform to the law, you are properly concealing, then how will you end up in court? I have never gone through metal detectors or been patted down to go say to the store...when that happens i won't go to a store. Now if i see a prominently posted sign that conforms to the law...then a person can open himself up to being fined a max of $500 for not following the law....then again this is where concealing a handgun properly avoids problems. How does anyone know if you conceal a handgun that you have one on you??? You avoid even a properly worded sign problem (say you run into a building in a hurry and miss it) if you conceal properly. It's not like ...again as I said earlier anyone can find out you are carrying IF you conceal...now you go open carrying your gun on 'posted' property...yes they will find out and they will either ask you to leave and may call the police...conceal avoids all those problems because you are free from unreasonable search. If i can carry at a packed concert (where legal but where i would have been asked to leave) or a college football game (again legal in the state i was in but would have been asked to leave)....you can conceal and not worry as much..what they don't see won't worry them.