anyone shoot 454 Casull?

broylz

have been comtemplating getting a true big bore revolver for possible deer hunting and range time. i do reload so the cost of ammo wouldnt be as bad and i am thinking about casting this year also.

i really like the 460 as it shoots 454 and 45lc as well but its expensive. although 250yards is respectable in a revolver.

those of you who have one, what do you use it for? is it scoped? do you hunt with it? whats the farthest shot youve made with it?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to have a 454 barrel for my T/C Encore. It was a custom made 20" barrel by Virgin Valley. With that set up it was a great little woods carbine. Never have shot the 454 out of a pistol. With the 20" barrel I felt confident out to 150 yards. I have had Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunters in 44mag and 480 ruger. I never felt comfortable shooting over 100yards with a 7.5" barrel.

I have played with many and big bore shooting and reloading has been my pastime for many years.

IMHO the Casull is really overkill for just about any task in this part of the country. Understand the need in Grizzly country, but there really isn't any practical reason to choose one over a .44 magnum or 45 colt. The sectional density and velocity over these rounds isn't great enough to make it largely different...especially if you shoot cast loads.

Then again if you reload already for .45 Colt...there is really no loss in picking one up to try out.

Since the guns are a little heavier they really aren't any more fierce than a short barreled .44 magnum. If you hunt and are comfortable with the recoil then mounting a red dot or scope might add 40 or so yards to what practically isn't over a 75 yard hunting gun anyway. even scoped you are pretty good to take a 100 yard + shot.

Guest Papabear

I have hunted with a Taurus Raging Bull 454 Casull. I have the 6 1/2 inch barrel and have taken deer out to 75 yards with it and taken several wild boar. It was my primary boar gun and does that job very well.

i am looking into this as a possible hunting tool as well as stated above because i have trouble with my shoulders if i shoot too big of a long gun. about 2 or 3 shotgun slugs is all i can take in a day before i go numbe from the shoulder down.

i was looking at the Taurus Raging Bull as well. i was debating the .44Mag but i shoot a 1911 as well and like the 45 bullet. i was looking at getting a SAA in 45LC but was liking the 454 as it will shoot both 45 and 454.

i like to keep my shots within 50-75 yards so maybe ill do fine with a 45LC or 44Mag?