am i missing something

Guest trtstreet

Guest trtstreet

thinking of getting into reloading just for myself but what im finding in prices on brass bullets primers it will cost me the same as buying a case of 9mm factory ammo am i looking in wrong places................

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't reload 9mm but its cheaper to reload my .40 than it is to buy it. There are ways to cut cost. Get brass at the range or do like I'm doing shoot up what you have on hand and reuse brass multiple times. I could even cut down my cost a lil if I bought more bulk ie. Bullets. Call the reloaders bench too they can help on local stuff. There are plenty of guys that buy online that I'm sure will chime in with suggestions.

yes. check reloaders bench, tennesseevalleybullets, midsouth shooter supply, cheaperthan dirt, etc...

depending on what you load... lets say:

1000 pistol primers: $35

1 lb powder: $20

1000 9mm lead bullets: $60

500 9mm brass: $65

comes to .18 a bullet or $9 for a box of 50, and the more you reload the same brass, it gets cheaper per round.

I thought the same thing before I started reloading. But the reloaded ammo is of a lot better quality than blazer brass.

My .40 with blazer brass I would keep the shots inside about 6-8 in circle at 10-12 yards. Now Im shooting reloads I can keep them within a 3 in circle at 10-12 yards.

Im now looking for 9mm dies so I can reload those. Also to help with equipment cost look around for used. It took me about a month to get everything used buying a piece here and there. And I have been saving my brass for several months and bought some used.

Guest FroggyOne2

With the 9mm.. you can save some money.. but you would save more with casting your own bullets. But the real savings come when you start shooting other calibers than the 9mm.. there was a time that it was cheaper to buy 9mm ammo and shoot it than to reload it.. but in the long run.. in todays state of prices.. it is deff less expensive to reload than factory..

Like me.. i have to reload.. factory ammo is too costly and is not near as accurate as the ammo I use. My current load in my palma rifle (.308) is half MOA at 1000 yards.

true it take some time to make back your investment, but over many years of reloading, you will make it back, and wait for it,.......have not thrown away half of the worth of what you spent in the first place purchasing ammo. you can use it over and over and collect other peoples waste as well, thus passing on the savings to you, some of us trade out, thus the cost is 0$ other than the time to retrieve casings. or go ahead and do the cleaning and sell or trade them for components to make our own ammo, so really the savings is up to you, and how resourceful you become. there is a cost up front, but as long as you keep you tools and setup in good working order you can make it back in no time. and save in the long run. it is a investment just like many others in life.

thinking of getting into reloading just for myself but what im finding in prices on brass bullets primers it will cost me the same as buying a case of 9mm factory ammo am i looking in wrong places................

No, you aren’t missing anything. I looked at it also and I don’t think you can save a dime. As a matter of fact unless you shoot several thousand rounds a month I doubt you could break even.

You need to do it because you like to reload or because you want special loads. Neither of which applied to me.

The price of copper, the war, and Obama are driving up the prices right now, and that applies even if you reload.

No, you aren’t missing anything. I looked at it also and I don’t think you can save a dime. As a matter of fact unless you shoot several thousand rounds a month I doubt you could break even.

It depends on what you're shooting. If you're shooting 9mm, then you won't save much, but it's doable. I can load 50 rounds on 9mm for about 6 dollars, and that's buying plated bullets. There's a little savings there, but it would take a while to pay for the equipment.

On the other hand, if you shoot something a bit different, like .30 Carbine, you can save a lot. The last .30 Carbine I bought was 22.50 plus tax for 50 rounds of Alabama Ammo reloads. I can reload 50 rounds of that same ammo for half that, and that's buying plated bullets 100 at a time. As a bonus, I have a much more accurate, consistent load.

The savings are there. Buying in bulk helps, and they're more noticeable if you shoot a less than common cartridge, but they are there for something even as common as 9mm.

Guest canebreaker

Bulk buying is the best way to save in the long run. Having an out of state address will save sales tax added to shipments. Combined shipments of primers and powder will save on hazmat charges. Having a gun that will shoot cast bullits will save on their prices. Molding your own bullits will save even more. Having friends that will call when they find a deal. Pick up and deliver the goods for a small fee helps too.

I save 5$ a box of 50 in .40s&w

and about 10$ on a box of 20 in .308win

so on average i will have to reload about 60 boxes of ammo to make up my initial cost and every thing after that is savings. and i will shoot 4-8 boxes of ammo a month so it will take me about a year to recoup my investment. My equipment will last longer than that so i think it is a positive savings and a good investment.