Any 38 Super "experts" on here?

Hidalgo

Guys, I've owned and shot Colt 38 Super 1911s for several years. BUT ... I've never fired hardly ANY factory ammo in them. Most of my reloads are "toned down" to some degree. Actually, I usually shoot what could be considered "warm" 9mm rounds. I do this because I shoot a LOT, and because it saves powder as well as wear and tear to the pistol.

I've made a decision to carry the Super daily. But that brings into the game the need to find and use a factory load. Both for positive reliability as well as avoiding the possible problems if I should have to defend myself with my reloads and then have to justify them in a courtroom.

Most of the factory offerings in 38 Super are +P loads. While I am certain that my pistols can handle the +P rounds just fine, I have read and heard from several sources that the factory +P loads are "borderline" in the pressure department.

My question is this: The Colts come from the factory with a 14# recoil spring. Would it be wise to replace it with a 16# spring? Should I try a 16# spring and see if the pistol functions reliably?

I'm concerned about these "hot" factory loads and all of the cautions that have been written about them.

Any advice from an experienced 38 Super shooter would be welcomed.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker

Agree with the above post. It's not like you're going to be shooting the +P ronuds all the time in self-defense (knock on wood). But definately try it out to make sure it functions normally and that it will be a reliable carry load for when you might have to shoot it.