Protection from Bear-Kahr PM9

Guest jcramin

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, a 357 will penetrate the engine block of a car. It has been done in real world situations. Penetrate is perhaps a bad word, let's use the word disable, crack, not go through. The myth of it going through started back in the beginning of the rounds life, when a marketing scheme turned into a larger myth than is reality. And let's be clear, we are talking about the old cast iron engines back in the day, softer than today but prob harder than aluminum and we are talking about cars, not trucks. Let's not miss the forest for the trees, the point is it has the ability damage very hard objects, including a bear or most animal's heads from close range. t is not the best of defense rounds today, if it ever was. However, it is a good back-up hunting gun. If I had a 9mm and a 357, I would definitely take the 357 every day and twice on Sunday. Unless this is to become common need, I wouldn't necessarily buy a 44, 454, or 50 mag just for this purpose. Unless you need an excuse to do so.

Now don't get me wrong on any pistol round. It is last chance, close shot stuff here. I would certainly prefer a good rifle round. This last bear I saw had 2 7mm Rem Mag's on it and I was wishing I had a 416 about then.

Edited by Warbird
9mm is insufficient. The argument about shooting them with a bow and arrow so it is sufficient with a 9mm is a poor analogy at best. Bow hunters have an advantage, they sit in tree stands above bait in most cases. More often than not the bear never sees the hunter.

In a scenario like this the bear sees you and may have the advantage on you for any number of reasons. If it attacks it is because it is highly agitated or protective, its running on instinct. A bow and arrow in this kind of circumstance would be insufficient as well.

Would a 9mm kill a bear? Maybe with a perfect shot. Now make that shot on a charging large animal with your pucker factor at an all time high. My bet is 99% of people couldn't do it.

This is a shot that will be very close, maybe the animal on you. The minimum sufficient round is a 357 magnum. The solid, hot 357 will go through the engine block of a car and will penetrate a bear well. A 44mag would be better, but you have a 357, so use it. My protective sidearms are a 357 4" and a bowen 454 Casull.

By the way you mentioned a 1911 after someone talked of a 45. The 45 acp is way insufficient. They were talking about the 45 LC, which is still too light IMO.

You never know when you will come across a bear and certainly never know when they may have a cub or two. If the cub is small the sow may get protective. Usually as others have said they will run and will always run to keep their cubs out of any situation, unless for whatever reasosn they sense they have no escape.

I myself was standing less than 50 yards from a grizzly sow and her 2 cubs just last week. It was unexpected and I wasn't thrilled to have them in my way. She stood checked us out, then took her cubs out of there.

Best of luck and safe hiking.

A 9mm will work. I was just answering the O.P's question. No arugment here.

A 9mm will work. I was just answering the O.P's question. No arugment here.

I understand your point here. Hwever in a later post the OP stated he has a 357. The question I would ask you is, wouldn't you rather have the 357 than the 9? I surely would, by a long shot. If a 9 is all you have, then that is all you have. Take it and pray not to have to use it. I am unconvinced a 9 would kill a determined bear before it killed you.