"Bulletin" re: GLOCK pistols

BigPoppa

Guest Bill Lumberg

I've had extensive experience with Sig, 1911, wheelguns, etc.. As Bill so eloquently put, there's no substitute for glock for police work. Other manufacturers keep getting closer, though. When I was first issued a glock years ago, no one was close. SA's XD's and other mfrs have definitely improved. Still, glock reigns for LE. That doesn't mean they're necessarily best for concealed carry. Two different animals.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker
Folks tend to swear by what they know. As you said most issued and trained on Glocks tend to favor .......... You new guys need to go back and read the late Mars views on the gun at hand and learn something. He was way more experienced and qualified than almost anyone here, combined. Glocks are the darlings of PD's for cost reasons, period. Everything after that is debatable.

The Glock is a fine weapon but no more so than many others. They weren't the first and they won't be the last.

While I have no experience in Law Enforcement, I've got to completely agree that the main reason (if not the only) the majority of agencies use Glock over anything else is because of the cost. I've owned several Glocks, and they are great guns, have nothing against them, but if I was a police office, and could carry any gun, it would be a SIG.

But I can't change someones opinion if they think Glocks are the end all be all. There's no one perfect gun (well, besides the 1911).

Guest Todd@CIS
Relatively speaking, I thought (though possibly mistaken) that the 22s were the most problematic of the Glocks.

I'm backing out of the looming "pissing match." :D I just wanted to post my opinion and experiences to the OP.

But to address the above, several Glock employees have told me that the .45ACP Glocks have been the most problematic.

This is not to say that they're bad guns, but just in relation to the rest of the line.

Why do Glock guys get so defensive when someone talks about a Glock.:poop: As far as I know no one on here designed it or made it. So why get your panties in a wad when some one speaks with their opinion.:D

Why do Glock guys get so defensive when someone talks about a Glock.:wave: As far as I know no one on here designed it or made it. So why get your panties in a wad when some one speaks with their opinion.:squint:

Not sure.

If an HK guy tells a Sig guy his gun is blocky,the Sig guy will just reply with,"well,at least my Sig doesn't think I suck,and hates me"...and all get a good laugh.

Now if a Sig guy tells a GLOCK guy his gun will shoot him in the ass,he gets all pissy,and post 1654613465.5 online blogs showing why his GLOCK is awesome....and the thread gets closed.

Funny,ain't it!

Guest Battzglock

From my 20+ years of extensive Glock use I have learned:

They are very reliable.

They are better than "combat accurate"

They are very durable.

They don't not randomly discharge.

The simply work.

But.....

While intrinsically safe, they are not for everyone.

It takes training to use one properly.

They are not for beginners incapable of mastering the basic concepts of safe weapons handling....be you a cop or otherwsie...your title does not you a weapons guy make.

They demand a higher level of proficiency and accountability.

Just my thoughts.

I have many...best handgun I've ever owned and used...and I have had em' all.

Not offended though if they are not your cup of tea.

Not everyone likes sushi.

• 2 weeks later...

I own three .357 magnum revolvers, 4 .38 Special revolvers and 1 .40 S&W Semi Auto. Yup it's a Glock (G23). Had my own experiences and the Glock is the only bottom feeder I own and probably will ever own.

I have been a third party in 3 NDs in my lifetime and all three were 1911s on the pistol range. Any weapon with a round chambered (including revolver) is intrinsically unsafe but they all come with two surefire safeties, your brain and the first finger from the thumb on your shooting hand. If those two do what they are supposed to, no modern handgun is going to fire on it's own.

I have shot well over 20,000 rounds thru my glocks, only one kaboom, case seperation on an old reloaded .40 brass. no AD's. Most people that get shot by their glocks have tried to catch it after dropping it and caught the trigger. You are better off to let it hit the floor and then pick it up. I know Buford Tune, take him with a grain of salt.