Help

EMAN

Maybe 2 years ago, I purchased a .38 S & W at a gun show in Smyrna (? Bob Pope show) to give to my about to be 21 year old daughter.

As she promised to get her permit ASAP but had no other paperwork to prove ownership, I gave her my paperwork.

Now, she has allowed (sorry, this is the most polite term I can think of as I have owned firearms for about 40 years, have moved them all over the country, had parties in the homes I've lived in, etc. and have yet to lose a one) this firearm to be stolen from her apt. last month sometime (Aug. 2009).

I have reported the pistol stolen but have no idea as to whom I bought the thing from nor the serial number to add to the police report. I can't even remember the model number. Believe me, in some way in this, I blame myself for my inadequate record keeping and care.

Thieves are thieves.

Nonetheless, I am seeking some way to possibly retrieve that information.

I am open to advice or suggestions.

Thanks.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker

Hate to tell you this, but unless you can track down the dealer you bought it from, or registered it with S&W, I doubt there's any other way to find the S/N. Without the S/N, dealer name, or even model number, it's like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Did you buy it new? Do you have any idea what this dealer's name could have been? Did you send in any kind of registration card to Smith & Wesson? Was anything else stolen from your daughter's apartment, or did it just go missing?

Not trying to pour salt on your wounds, but write down the model and S/N for every gun you own, and keep it separate from the gun. I keep two lists just in case something like this happens. I'd say you just need to write this off as a loss, and next time keep better records. Don't get too down on yourself though, it happens to the best of us.

Edited by JHatmaker

Yeah...this is the one pistol I did NOT write down or copy the info. Even though daughter PROMISED to get permit and return info...no..really...she PROMISED....how many parents have been burned by this term (including my own).

I appreciate the advice nonetheless.

I hate to benefit from someone elses misfortune but reading this made me think about the fact that I have a J frame I bought from a co-worker 25 years ago. I just paid the guy cash and he just handed me the weapon. I've gone my way and I'm sure he has gone his. I've never copied the serial # down anywhere. It's now on my to do list. Thanks.

I didn't want her to perhaps go to a gun range, get pulled over because her tailliight wasn't working or some other such BS and have some...exuberant...law enforcement person hassle her because she could not provide some sort of paperwork on the thing. I don't care what anyone says, this is the Amerika of the NWO and if you can be jerked around and intimidated over nothing for 30 minutes, especially when it comes to firearms, it will happen.

Not so bad for me because I pretty much tell the offender to buzz off but for a 21 year old female, it could be somewhat traumatic.

And no, I don't hate the police. I respect the job they supposedly do but sometimes, depending on the officer, they ARE overzealous. I drove a truck for several years in the entertainment industry and got crap over such heinous safety violations as improper punctuation on a manifest or a marker light out on the trailer. In the end, it was always about jerking me around for 30 minutes.

I say, be prepared.

Edited by EMAN

I have to agree with you EMAN. Guilty until proven innocent. Especially when it comes to having a firearm. Cops are going to assume you are a common criminal using the gun to rob a liquor store until you prove that you arent. I have heard of people being handcuffed and disarmed before being given the chance to pull their wallet out and show their HCP.

I have seen first hand when papers of ownership, (sales receipt) were not presented as proof of ownership, at the time the police eyeballed the fire arm, i have even seen them confiscate said fire arm for 72hrs, under the guise of a safety hold, i am sure they were running the numbers, dna, ect ect, while in there care. so as the wise man said CYOA! (this was not in tn but in ca) but still just like everyone else at times,"cops can be the biggest jerks on the planet" also on occasion may solve crimes, help people, and make the world a better place by the selfless commitment to serve and protect. The point is you never know what or who your gonna get when your pulled over, but you can guarantee, you will be inconvenienced. I have yet to be pulled over and thanked for going the speed limit, or for signaling to turn, or letting someone in my lane when others are congested, so know that if your pulled over chances are your viewed as the enemy until proven not so. seriously you were approached by someone that's last intentional thought was to shoot you if you appeared to be a threat as they creep-ed up in the blinding light beside your vehicle. think about it.......

Edited by H0TSH0T