Are these really the only states with reciprocity?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peaceable Journey laws are state laws that let you transport guns through those states. But one of the provisions of the Firearm Owners Protection Act (Federal law) allows you to transport your firearms through hostile territory.

I don't usually use Wikipedia as a source, but their explanation is simple and handy in this case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_Owners_Protection_Act

"Safe passage" provision

One of the law's provisions was that persons traveling from one state to another for a shooting sports event or any other lawful activity cannot be arrested for a firearms offense in a state that has strict gun control laws if the traveler is just passing through (short stops for food and gas) and the firearms and ammunition are securely locked, unloaded, and not immediately accessible.

An example of this would be that someone driving from Virginia to a competition in Vermont with a locked hard case containing an unloaded handgun and a box of ammunition in the trunk could not be prosecuted in New Jersey or New York City for illegal possession of a handgun provided that he did not stop in New Jersey or New York for an extended period of time.

Guest Boomhower
OK, so my research is pretty much complete and it looks like I'll be able to continue packing all the way up I-75.

However there is one thing I neglected to ask about on the phone and can't seem to locate on the web. Do you need to inform an officer at a traffic stop that you are armed in Kentucky? The answer is yes in Ohio and Michigan and I would more than likely do it anyway but I'd like to know anyway, and I'd rather not make another phone call just to ask this unless no one here knows the answer.

On a positive note, while I'm in MI I can carry in Applebees :cool:

Great info Branket. I'll be travelling to MI soon as well, so I need to start doing some research as well. Are most gov. sites easy to follow and find this type of information?

Great info Branket. I'll be travelling to MI soon as well, so I need to start doing some research as well. Are most gov. sites easy to follow and find this type of information?

They aren't too bad. They all have a search function and usually if you just search for concealed carry you can get close to what you need.

I'll be travelling to MI soon as well, so I need to start doing some research as well. Are most gov. sites easy to follow and find this type of information?

if it is good for one it is good for all, I am guessing your permit is as a good as Branket's or mine.

Guest Boomhower
if it is good for one it is good for all, I am guessing your permit is as a good as Branket's or mine.

I'm sure it is. I don't see how it would be any different. I just wanted to familierize myself with some of there laws.