My HCP Journy Begins

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

I completed the HCP course yesterday. I scored 48/48 at the range and scored 100% on the written test. I'm gonna go down to the DOS this coming week and apply for my permit.

+1 to BigPoppa @ Safety South. Bo and Chuck were very professional, knowledgeable and helpful.

Edited by StreetWK05
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ArmyVeteran37214
Thanks.gif everyone for the Congrats.gif I'm hoping to see my permit arrive by the end of October. Of course, that's if the DOS keeps on cranking them out every 4 to 6 weeks like the have been recently. Edited by StreetWK05
Thanks.gif everyone for the Congrats.gif I'm hoping to see my permit arrive by the end of October. Of course, that's if the DOS keeps on cranking them out every 4 to 6 weeks like the have been recently.

congrats on the permit :poop:

someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if you received military pistol training, then you should've been exempted from having to take the HCP class? (just saw your signature mentioned you were a vet...)

hopefully you won't have to wait long...I got mine after approx. 5 weeks.

so what are ya gonna be carryin'? :P

you guys sure...?

"Effective July 1, 2005, Tennessee handgun carry permit law will now allow certain applicants already exempt from complying with firing range provisions of the current statute to also be exempt from any classroom requirements. Those current exceptions are applicants who prove to the department that within five (5) years from the date of application for handgun permit, the applicant has:

Been certified by the police officer's standards and training commission, or

successfully completed training at the law enforcement training academy; or

successfully completed the firearms training course required for armed security guards; or

successfully completed all handgun training of not less than four (4) hours as required by any branch of the military."

(copied from Handgun Carry Permit Qualifications and Requirements )

my understanding was, if you're a vet w/pistol training you just take the form (not sure what it's called) from your branch of service to the DOS just like you would your HCP class certificate...?

Edited by .45
I completed the HCP course yesterday. I scored 48/48 at the range and scored 100% on the written test. I'm gonna go down to the DOS this coming week and apply for my permit.

+1 to BigPoppa @ Safety South. Bo and Chuck were very professional, knowledgeable and helpful.

Congrats Tim, and thanks for the kind words.:koolaid:

Guest ArmyVeteran37214
someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if you received military pistol training, then you should've been exempted from having to take the HCP class? (just saw your signature mentioned you were a vet...)

I never got any qualification time on a handgun in the army. I got about a dozen rounds for familiarization purposes, when I was at my last unit.

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

It's been a week already and the waiting sucks! I made sure to submit an application for a duplicate when I was @ the DOS. I'm hoping both the original and duplicate show up at the same time.

Edited by StreetWK05
  • 1 month later...
Guest ArmyVeteran37214

I called the DOS about 15 mins ago and my permit has been issued. I got the usual, it'll be in the mail between 7-10 business days.

If your waiting on your permit I suggest calling about 3 1/2 weeks after you've submitted the application to check the status.

Also, my holster from HBE should be arriving between now and Wednesday next week.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ArmyVeteran37214
Holy! But a replacement will cost ya like $50?

Good Move.

Thank you sir. Everyone should apply for a duplicate when they apply for their permit.