Shotgun as gift

fizik

If I'm buying my cousin a shotgun as a gift and want to take him to pick it out, it seems like if he picks it and runs through tics, then i pay with my card, we're okay right? or do i need to go through and pay for a tics for myself as well? i don't want suspiscion of a straw sale, but i want to spend as little as possible. Anyone able to enlighten me? Any dealers have any input on one guy paying for another gyus's gun? I am kinda wary of buying it in my name then just giving it to him and that looking like a straw sale.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm no lawyer by any means, but if you bought it and gifted it, i don't see a problem. as the seller/gifter, i think as long as you know he is not a convicted felon things will be ok. since no records are kept on sales outside gun shows, i don't see the difference. make sure he is old enough to own one and not a felon. just my TCW!

Guest SureShot308

You can legally do it either way. You can do the 4473 yourself and pay for it yourself and give it to him as a gift as long as he Lives in TN also as long as he doesn't give you any money for it.

Or he can do the 4473 and you can pay for it. Some dealers might think something weird is going on if you do it that way.

Then again a dealers might think somethings was weird if you do it either way. If they don't like it they can refuse to sell you or he the gun to cover their own ass.

I'd explain your situation to the dealer and conduct it in the manner he is most comfortable with.

I've always done this before just for my peace of mind, but have never run into a dealer that seemed to care either way. Always ended up running it through my name.