Aimpoint Micro T-1..amazing little aiming system

Guest Ben

Aimpoint Micro T-1 on my rifle..amazing little aiming system

I installed a new Aimpoint Micro T-1 on my AR-15 4 months ago and I have been quite impressed with this aiming system.

In the IDF, we were issued "Red Dot" sights (back in 1997). They were manufactured by "Elbit" and were very basic but did the trick.

I was never a fan of the red dot sight for the simple reason that I found myself hesitating to acquire the sight and not actually "snap shooting" towards the target.

I have always been very proficient with iron sights so I always figured that I had no use for the Red dot sight.

It was only recently that I came to the conclusion that a quality, military grade red dot sight or reflex sight would add a great benefit to my ability to quickly acquire a target, more so than iron sights. This is especially evident in low light conditions where standard iron sights are very hard, if not impossible, to see.

I canvassed the market for a sight that fits my needs. I was looking for the following:

1) Small and light weight

2) Constant on (no need to fumble with on/off buttons. Hey, who needs to mess with that crap at 3:00am when someone is kicking down your front door??)

3) Long battery life

4) Ruggedness

My research led me to the new Aimpoint Micro series and i specifically liked the Micro T-1. It has a 5 year constant on battery life. No need to turn it off. It runs on a small battery. It is VERY small and light weight and it is military grade durable.

This unit weighs in around 3.7 ounces including the mount. It has a 4 MOA dot and is a 1x magnification. It is compatible with Night Vision devices but excels with 3rd Gen NVD's. It is submersible to 80 feet and is non reflective.

I ordered directly from the LaRue Tactical website. It came with a great LaRue mount with a throw lever and installation was effortless. The mount acts as a 'riser' so you get perfect "eyes on target" every time.

This sight is not cheap by any means ($625 for sight and mount) but when your life depends on your equipment, you should not go with the knockoff cheap stuff.

You do not need one of these for every rifle you own but for my main battle rifle, I find this to be indispensable.

Link to the LaRue Tactical page for the Micro T-1:

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=149

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker

Good write up. I'm looking at getting another red-dot (have a Trijicon tri-power right now) and have narrowed it down to a few, but will take a look at this little guy.

Thanks for your review, I have been wondering about these. I have a question, is this a site that you look through with both eyes open like a Eotech?

You can certainly use a both eyes open view with this....but...I belive that Aimpoints are better used when actually "aiming"/focusing with one eye.

Again, yes, it can be used with both eyes open but it is not truly built for that, like an Eotech is.

The Eotech is more 'screen' like (pop up holographic image) and the Aimpoint is more 'sight' like (stare down a narrow area) but in a true CQC environment, the aimpoint can be used accordingly.

Guest jimdigriz
Good write up. I'm looking at getting another red-dot (have a Trijicon tri-power right now) and have narrowed it down to a few, but will take a look at this little guy.

The Tri-Power seemed perfect in concept for my needs, especially since I have some astigmatism. But I've read in numerous places that the Tritium component is virtually useless unless you are using Night Vision. Consequently, I'm probably going to go with a Reflex with a chevron reticle. It's nice to have a big reticle for easy acquisition, that also allows for precision aiming. The Micro is very nice indeed, as are all the Aimpoints, and would have been a hands-down winner for me if they had reticle options other than just dots.

Jim

Guest jimdigriz

I canvassed the market for a sight that fits my needs. I was looking for the following:

1) Small and light weight

2) Constant on (no need to fumble with on/off buttons. Hey, who needs to mess with that crap at 3:00am when someone is kicking down your front door??)

3) Long battery life

These are reasons why I eventually rejected the Eotech, which I was leaning toward on account of its magnificent donut reticle. I could have tolerated the heavier weight, though, if I could have left it on all the time. And I might even would have been able to tolerate having to turn it on, if it returned to its original brightness level when I did so. (Imagine having to not only turn it on when the BGs bust in, but having to adjust brightness too). But the problems together eliminated it.

The criteria you mentioned basically narrows the choices down to offerings from Aimpoint and Trijicon. I'm leaning Trijicon for the better reticle shape and size, and no electronics, although I'm aware that the reticle washes out somewhat in certain lighting conditions.

Jim

Edited by jimdigriz
Guest jimdigriz
My eotech stays at the same setting.

Interesting. Which model do you have?

When I was handling a couple different models at the store, after I shut them off by pressing the Up/Down buttons simultaneously, when I turned it back on via the up button, I was once again starting from the lowest level, even though I had previously been on a bright setting. I read similar complaints online, but would be happy to hear that I was doing something wrong, or that a different model behaves in a more acceptable manner.

I am also interested in an Eotech that retains its settings after turning it off.

The Trijicon's are great products. I did have one, used it in Israel for literally 1 day. I simply could not see the amber chevron in the bright desert light. it washed out completely.

Maybe it was just the model as I know that Trijicon scopes are used extensively in Israel and the soldiers really enjoy them....

Guest jimdigriz

The Trijicon's are great products. I did have one, used it in Israel for literally 1 day. I simply could not see the amber chevron in the bright desert light. it washed out completely.

Hopefully it will perform acceptably in a non-desert environment. If I have to send it back for washout reasons, the Aimpoint Micro is my fall-back option, but I'd really like to have a more-precise yet still large reticle.

Guest SureShot308

I have an Eotech 516.A65 and mine doesn't turn on to the setting you were at when you turned it off, but it comes on at the middle setting. I think there are 20 settings from low to high and it comes on at 11, 10 clicks up from the lowest setting which is probably where most people would leave it anyway for daytime shooting not in direct sunlight.

Guest SureShot308

I wasn't even sure about it until I checked myself when I saw the post by Daniel.

I knew that if I cranked it all the way down and let it shut off by itself and turned it on it wasn't at the lowest setting though.

I really like the T-1's that I have seen, except for the price tag!:cool: For the life of me I don't know why they aren't more reasonably priced by Aimpoint. I'm going to be using the Konus Sight Pro Atomic, which is a very good clone of the T-1 for a whole lot less. I know the differences, but I'm no tac operator nor do I plan on fighting any battles anytime soon to justify a $600 red dot on an AK.;)

Guest SureShot308

I just put a Konus on my AK. I haven't had a chance to go beat it up and see if it will hold up at all. There is another company that looks alright too. They had one on the MP5 at Guns and Leather, you might want to ask Metalhead what company makes it.

The T1 Micro is awesome, but there are a lot more things I want to pay 600 for before I get one of those.

I had an Eotech for a month or so but when I realized, mid patrol, that I am jumping out of my jeep and picking my rifle up to my eyes and my sight has shut down...that pissed me off and caused hesitation. I Ebay'ed that SOB and went with the Aimpoint.

I love the Eotech IDEA, but not during actual tactical use (especially while on 12 hour patrols...). If Eotech would come up with a model that does not shut down on its own, I would buy one.

I had an Eotech for a month or so but when I realized, mid patrol, that I am jumping out of my jeep and picking my rifle up to my eyes and my sight has shut down...that pissed me off and caused hesitation. I Ebay'ed that SOB and went with the Aimpoint.

I love the Eotech IDEA, but not during actual tactical use (especially while on 12 hour patrols...). If Eotech would come up with a model that does not shut down on its own, I would buy one.

Why couldn't they make a remote switch that activates like the Crimson Trace grips for the Eotech or the Aimpoint for that matter?

Why couldn't they make a remote switch that activates like the Crimson Trace grips for the Eotech or the Aimpoint for that matter?

That and for it to remember settings, they would have a great model on their hands, I know I would love those things on my Eotech 512

I'm pretty sure that I paid $530 for my T-1 at The Outpost.

I paid more for the LaRue mount/T-1 combo but there are a lot of mounts on the market I believe that are less expensive.