Motorcycle

Guest Rugerman

Guest Rugerman
CONGRATS!

This means you'll be making the ride this weekend?

I need some practice first! Plus, my sister is getting married back home in the VA beach area and I will be performing the ceremony.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a Yamaha V-Star 650 for my first bike. It's about the right size for learning the road with. However, it is time to get something bigger. Highway driving is just a bit for it as its RPM's need another gear. In actuality, it needs a bigger engine. Start with nothing less than a 650, regardless of make, but do consider getting something closer to a 750 or 900. It'll save you $ in the long run. Harley's are nice, but over rated and over priced. Don't get me wrong, I'd buy one if it was cheap enough, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Anybody know what consists of the "on-bike skills test" to get your license?

Well, I took the MSF course for the break in insurance and to avoid the permit, then testing. However, I hear they pretty much tell you to ride down the street, take a right, turn around and come back :tough:

Yep. More time getting the gear on than driving. I had to go up the hill to the Lowes parking lot and back.

The testing officer could not even see me for 80% of the test.

So, what's the deal w/ a learners permit for a motorcycle? Is there a certain window of time that has to pass between getting your permit, then an unrestricted M endorsement?

Just curious, like I said, having taken the MSF course, I just brought a certificate of completion to the DMV and was granted an endorsement (after the eye test, and the money test).

Anybody know what consists of the "on-bike skills test" to get your license?

When I went for mine several years back over on Bonny Oaks,it was pull out of the parking lot,turn around,and come back!

And considering the traffic on Bonny Oaks,I guess they figure if a n00b can make it back in one piece,he passes :tough:

I would recommend getting a used bike first. Something like a 400 - 750 Kawasaki or suzuki. That way if you dump it, no problem. Take a motorcycle safety course. Some provide a bike to take the course on.

I teach motorcycle safety for my HOG (Harley owners group) chapter. A safety course is the best way to learn properly. I was riding for over 20 years and didn't realize how many bad habits I picked up until I was properly trained. I have taken refresher classes every 2 years. (7 so far) You can never learn too much on motorcycle safety.I have members that have been riding for 20-30 years and will still not take a class.

One was killed last year by making a rookie mistake". He was 57.

Good luck! Ride safe

Guest AreSeeFiddyWon

When I got my M endorsement years ago my riding test consisted of the examiner stating, "I saw you ride up," and then checking off the box. LOL!

Nowadays if you ride up w/o a license they'll ticket you.

Never forget that every car you see doesn't see you. Especially when they make eye contact with you, THEY DON'T SEE YOU! I agree with the other poster, take an MSF class. Well worth the time.

Nowadays if you ride up w/o a license they'll ticket you.

Don't know where you heard that but is not true. They do not care how you get the bike there. I called about it when I got my license and that is what they told me. And as of one month ago was still the same for a friend of mine in Gallatin.

For the test. Use your turn signals, don't do anything an officer would ticket you for and don't drop/wreck the bike. Also make sure your all your turn signals, brake light, horn work and your mirrors are intact.

Guest AreSeeFiddyWon
Don't know where you heard that but is not true. They do not care how you get the bike there.

I saw the ticket. It happened about 2 years ago at the TDOT office in Maryville. Guy rides up to take his test and goes inside while telling the receptionist why he was there(to get the correct forms) a THP officer overheard and asked how he got there. When he said he rode up, he was issued a ticket for riding without a license.

He went to court and got it tossed, but it cost him the time + court costs.

I've heard that's not the only person that has happened to, and that the THP often hangs out there looking to catch people coming in without a license.

So, what's the deal w/ a learners permit for a motorcycle? Is there a certain window of time that has to pass between getting your permit, then an unrestricted M endorsement?

Just curious, like I said, having taken the MSF course, I just brought a certificate of completion to the DMV and was granted an endorsement (after the eye test, and the money test).

There is no "permit" for a motorcycle (unless you're 15-years-old) in the State of Tennessee. You either have your "M" endorsement, or you don't. Some states do offer a "Learners Permit", but TN is not one of them.

I took my test in Lebanon, and the riding/road portion was about 1/2 block, and lasted less than a minute. There was no real "test" to it. If you didn't fall or crash, you passed.

Edited by TripleDigitRide

THP being there is a different story. The DMV will not issue you a ticket but THP could. When I took my test I called and their response was "We don't care how you get it here, we don't give tickets just license."

Guess he could of told the officer someone just left with the trailer. I have rode with the same group for years and a few don't have license. I have seen them pulled over and never got a ticket for no license just speeding or what ever they were doing. Trooper told one of them once "Hell you made it this far." But times change.

Serious, To give yourself a fighting chance on the road take a safety course.

Previous posters are right. Cars don't see a motorcycle. You are invisible!

Just a few tips if you would like to listen:

* Intersections are the most dangerous place for motorcycles.

* Lefthand turns accross traffic will kill over 40% a year.

* Most single vehicle accidents happen in curves. The rider gets in too hot and over

shoots and crosses the line or hits the guard rail or on coming traffic.

* Head and eyes! Where ever you look, that's where your bike goes. ( Don't look at

what you want to miss)!

* 4 wheels will win over 2 wheels every time! don't challange cars or trucks! let it go.

it's better to tell stories over a beer than from a hospital bed.

* Don't ride above your ability or experiance. As Darrell Waltrip says "He ran out of

talent" Don't do that it could hurt!

Stay safe when you are riding the open road!

Ray