In nashville for a couple days....what gun shops to visit?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Franklin Gun Shop has a bigger selection than any of these, so if you're just looking around, that should be on the list. They are very knowledgeable, but their prices are high.

I hear a lot of folks on the board who don't like them, but I get along great with them and they've been a pleasure to deal with (as have been the other three that Dave mentioned).

Franklin Gun Shop has a bigger selection than any of these, so if you're just looking around, that should be on the list. They are very knowledgeable, but their prices are high.

I hear a lot of folks on the board who don't like them, but I get along great with them and they've been a pleasure to deal with (as have been the other three that Dave mentioned).

Bigger than Hero Gear? if so I definitely have to check them out

Guns & Leather (Greenbrier)

Outpost Armory (Christinia / Murfreesboro)

Hero Gear (Winchester)

All within an hour or so of Nashville proper.

Hero Gear is alittle farther than I wanted to drive. Guns & Leather doesn't seem to far away. How far is Outpost from franklin?

I'll be in franklin tomorrow and may check out franklin gun shop.

Guest JHatmaker

If you're in Franklin, you should swing by Franklin Gun, just for their selection. But like stated above, their prices are higher than most.

Also gotta 2nd Guns and Leather, it's worth the drive up there (but either wait until after rush hour traffic, or go in the morning or during lunch time.) Also, try and make it to Guns for America, great little shop off the Armory Dr exit heading north on I-65. Once you take that exit, loop around to where the ramp runs into Powell Ave, and just drive straight across. It looks like you're driving into a warehouse district, but keep going straight and there's a little gun shop on the left side of the last building in front of you. You'll see a sign that says Gun Shop.

If you have the time, since you're fairly close, drive out to Hero Gear (just take I-24 East to exit 127, off the exit take a right, go about 14 miles and take the US-41 exit and turn right, Hero-Gear is a few miles down this road on the right). From Franklin it takes about an hour and a half depending on traffic. Their selection and prices are hard to beat, and their customer service is ok I guess......:) (actually it's some of the best service I've experienced, gun shop or not). On your way back you can then hit the Outpost off exit 89.

Edited by JHatmaker
Guest eyebedam

You should go by Goodlettsville Gun Shop & see Phil. While he might not have the largest selection he can & will get you what you want & beat just about anyones price.

Guest eyebedam
I went by Guns for America once, and found the prices to be on the high side. Does the owner cotton to haggling?

I tried to haggle with them once on a XDM. They were well over 100.00 in price then another store about 15 minutes away. They pretty much told me the price marked is what it is. They were very nice but didn't want to deal. I ended up hoing to the other shop & getting the XDM & a new knife.

IMHO, the 2 greatest gun shops near Nashville are Guns & Leather and Bellshire Hardware & Guns. G&L has a good selection, friendly staff, and a great indoor range. Bellshire has less stock on hand, but they have equally friendly staff and lower prices.

I bought my AR from there. It doesn't seem much like a gun shop, I didn't see anything on display. He just went in the back and grabbed the box to show to me. I got a fairly decent price on it the week before the election. Nice guy to deal with too.

I bought my AR from there. It doesn't seem much like a gun shop, I didn't see anything on display. He just went in the back and grabbed the box to show to me. I got a fairly decent price on it the week before the election. Nice guy to deal with too.

It is primarily a hardware store of the mom and pop variety. It's a family run business, and yes, no guns are actually on display. I like them because the owner Phil is very cool, they're very reasonable in their prices (lowest FFL transfer fees in town), and I got a killer deal on a LCP, despite the outrageous prices some other vendors are still looking for. He also has a nice selection of ammo. He even had a couple of boxes of .380 at 16.99, which is dirt cheap.

• Administrator
It is primarily a hardware store of the mom and pop variety. It's a family run business, and yes, no guns are actually on display. I like them because the owner Phil is very cool, they're very reasonable in their prices (lowest FFL transfer fees in town), and I got a killer deal on a LCP, despite the outrageous prices some other vendors are still looking for. He also has a nice selection of ammo. He even had a couple of boxes of .380 at 16.99, which is dirt cheap.

Don't take this as a knock on Phil or Bellshire, but... Who exactly supports you after the sale on a gun purchased this way? Phil seems to be more into the "FFL transfer" business and not so much as a stocking dealer with strong relationships with the various manufacturers.

You look at it as getting a bargain. I agree, it's a bargain. But bargains aren't all that great once you factor in after-sale support and service to your firearm. That's why I like to patronize actual gun stores. Your mileage might vary.

Don't take this as a knock on Phil or Bellshire, but... Who exactly supports you after the sale on a gun purchased this way? Phil seems to be more into the "FFL transfer" business and not so much as a stocking dealer with strong relationships with the various manufacturers.

You look at it as getting a bargain. I agree, it's a bargain. But bargains aren't all that great once you factor in after-sale support and service to your firearm. That's why I like to patronize actual gun stores. Your mileage might vary.

I never lean on gun stores to help me with technical issues anyhow, so it's a moot point for me. When the other gun stores I've been to can't even show me how to break down a gun for cleaning, I'm not going to ask them about extractor issues or mags that don't fit right. I know what they're going to say anyways: send it back to the manufacturer. If that's what they're going to do, then why bother giving them extra money for help I don't need?

I have purchased 2 pistols brand new that had issues right out of the box. Both times, the gun store was unable to help and I was directed to use my warranty with the company. Phil would do the same thing, except he doesn't charge an extra percentage.

Now, if you need some hand holding and some extra BS thrown your way to buy a gun, by all means, visit some of the other fine establishments in town. I had a guy at On Target tell me that carrying on campus is only illegal if you get caught...now what kind of sales pitch is that?

At Bellshire....I knew I wanted a LCP, he had a LCP, he quoted me a price that included tax, and it was extremely fair. He had it in back, did my background check, I paid, and I left with it. No muss, no fuss, just a nice straight transaction. Gun works perfectly out of the box.

Guest HexHead
I know what they're going to say anyways: send it back to the manufacturer. If that's what they're going to do, then why bother giving them extra money for help I don't need?

I have purchased 2 pistols brand new that had issues right out of the box. Both times, the gun store was unable to help and I was directed to use my warranty with the company. Phil would do the same thing, except he doesn't charge an extra percentage.

I bought a pre-owned Springfield EMP from G&L and had issues with it right away. They sent it back to Springfield on their dime. Springfield didn't find anything "wrong" with it, so they did their fluff & buff routine. Didn't even replace the magazines. I doubt they would have reimbursed me for shipping. So right there, using a local dealer saved me $40-70 as I would have had to use overnight shipping.

Let's see Phil do that on a gun he transfers in for you? I'm not knockin' Phil, just sayin'. ;)

• Administrator
I never lean on gun stores to help me with technical issues anyhow, so it's a moot point for me. When the other gun stores I've been to can't even show me how to break down a gun for cleaning, I'm not going to ask them about extractor issues or mags that don't fit right. I know what they're going to say anyways: send it back to the manufacturer. If that's what they're going to do, then why bother giving them extra money for help I don't need?

I understand your point, but I'm talking about good gun shops. I don't want to exclude anyone but the two that I know for certain have done in-store exchanges for customers with faulty firearms are Guns & Leather and Hero Gear. They sent the firearms back for service on their dime, but the customers walked out with new firearms on the spot after doing their 4473's.

The majority of the time you will probably never have a problem (unless it's a new Ruger and they tend to go back to the factory a lot lately it seems) so buying from someone who is more or less just a transfer agent is a good way to save money.

It's those occasions when something goes wrong that it's nice to have a good relationship with a good gun shop.

Again, not dogging Belshire at all. I met Phil once and he was a super nice guy. If I am ordering a Glock or other 99.99999% right every time out of the box firearm, or a DeWalt drill, I would use him. ;)

Guest eyebedam
I bought a pre-owned Springfield EMP from G&L and had issues with it right away. They sent it back to Springfield on their dime. Springfield didn't find anything "wrong" with it, so they did their fluff & buff routine. Didn't even replace the magazines. I doubt they would have reimbursed me for shipping. So right there, using a local dealer saved me $40-70 as I would have had to use overnight shipping.

Let's see Phil do that on a gun he transfers in for you? I'm not knockin' Phil, just sayin'. ;)

Maybe so but were talking about new guns not used. Also springfield more than likely wouldve sent you a prepaid box to ship it directly to them for free regardless. They have a great customer service record.

Guest HexHead
Maybe so but were talking about new guns not used. Also springfield more than likely wouldve sent you a prepaid box to ship it directly to them for free regardless. They have a great customer service record.

Didn't matter. They didn't fix the EMP and G&L swapped it out for me with a NIB Para, since I never got the EMP out of the store.

I can't complain about G&L's customer service in the least.