Potentially Emotionally Dangerous Project

Guest jackdm3

Drive always gets me now. I used to always think it was a cool song, but my uncle was taken from us way too soon. He has three boys, and I can remember when they were younger, they used to always tell me about when daddy let them drive. They played this song at his funeral, and I just lost it. It is funny how emotions about songs are so influenced by the settings in which they are heard.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want your help to compile a list of the most absolute, nearly debillitating, gut-wrenching, on-the-verge-of-tears, frog-in-the-throat songs that reach the center of your being.

I re-discovered "Gone Away" by The Offspring recently and it made me consider why I didn't cry when my father died 9 years ago despite all the anger I had about him. This song applies to anyone you didn't want to lose so soon.

I'm talking about a disc that once compiled, you would be a wreck if you actually finish listening.

Gone Away - Offspring

I Was Wrong - Social Distortion

Mama Said - Metallica

Don't Take The Girl - Tim McGraw

YouTube - offspring

YouTube - i was wrong+

YouTube - Metallica - Mama Said: Video

+1 for Social Distortion suprised to see another social D fan on here

Drive always gets me now. I used to always think it was a cool song, but my uncle was taken from us way too soon. He has three boys, and I can remember when they were younger, they used to always tell me about when daddy let them drive. They played this song at his funeral, and I just lost it. It is funny how emotions about songs are so influenced by the settings in which they are heard.

I turn into a sobbing little sissy when Drive comes on. My dad used to hold me in his lap and let me drive up our long steep, gravel driveway. He passed away when I was 9.

Guest jackdm3

This one is sour, too. But it's HEAVY so you faint at heart should stay away. Directed by Rob Zombie,starring his wife Sherri and doubletracked vocals by Ozzy.

Edited by jackdm3
Guest Ghostrider

My list - some already mentioned - some not. YMMV

The Star Spangled Banner - makes me nostalgic

America the Beautiful

Proud to be an American - Lee Greenwood

Taps - who can say no to that - and not just at funerals

The Dance - Garth Brooks

I Will Remember You - Sarah McLaughlin

Amazing Grace - (I listened to it today) by --- Arlo Guthrie and Bob Dylan - serious soul music.

Spirit in the Sky - Norman Greenbaum

Sylvia's Mother - Doctor Hook

Cat's in the Cradle - the original

I'm no good - Amy Winehouse

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest louderthebetter

Really surprised no one listed any of the old songs from wayyyyy back when

Hank Williams was number one .. I’m so lonesome I could cry – His words and the way he sings make you feel exactly how he did. Not that you want to cry necessarily, but he paints the picture of his insides, the desolation inside of him, and out, so well, that you just know what he’s talking about, you feel it, and it’s a powerful feeling; a powerful song.Hank was country when country wasen't crap.

I cut n pasted the above because I could never had said it better.

Guest benchpresspower
Really surprised no one listed any of the old songs from wayyyyy back when

Hank Williams was number one .. I’m so lonesome I could cry – His words and the way he sings make you feel exactly how he did. Not that you want to cry necessarily, but he paints the picture of his insides, the desolation inside of him, and out, so well, that you just know what he’s talking about, you feel it, and it’s a powerful feeling; a powerful song.Hank was country when country wasen't crap.

I cut n pasted the above because I could never had said it better.

Absolute most favorite artist. Shame on me for not thinking about him. Hmmm perhaps "Wedding Bells" or even "I Dreamed About Mama Last Night"

Guest bkelm18

They played "Proud to be an American" in boot camp during the ceremony a couple days before graduation where we received our Navy ballcaps. Not a dry eye in the house.